Board logo

The Elephant in the room: The Japanese Reactor Thread
britishtrident - 15/3/11 at 08:42 AM

08:00 15/3/11 News is not good from Japan and is getting worse , clearly they never anticipated the emergency cooling systems would have to run for days/weeks/months and didn't give them enough hardening to survive a Tsunnami.

One cannot help but feel for the plant engineers who will be doing their best under circumstances of extreme personal danger and many of the staff will have lost their families in the disaster.

If one good thing comes out of this tragic mess it will be to put gas cooled reactors back on to the agenda.

[Edited on 15/3/11 by britishtrident]

David Jenkins - 15/3/11 at 08:44 AM

You might find this interesting reading:

The Register

A different viewpoint, away from the shrieking headlines...

Note: it's slightly out of date now, but the main analysis is worth reading.

[Edited on 15/3/11 by David Jenkins]

deezee - 15/3/11 at 08:57 AM

Some very interesting reading Dave. Far from the drama of the media, giving the impression that a Japanese Chernobyl is minutes away.

cliftyhanger - 15/3/11 at 09:01 AM

I think the big worry is that the anti nuclear bunch are going to capitalise on the news and try to stop new nuclear stations in this country and else where.
The same people who don't want wind farms near their homes or tidal schemes in their rivers, or indeed wave schemes off the coast where they sail their yachts. And coal is a def no no.

Sorry, nimby rant over. Nuclear is needed, and we have little choice.
And yes, I do feel for the Japanese workers. I suspect they will do their job no matter what.

BTW the link makes an interesting read. Seems that however we prepare for nature, we can still get caught out

balidey - 15/3/11 at 09:03 AM

Its all very worrying, but personally I think the reactors have stood up incredibly well. Strongest earth quake recorded in over 100 years, massive tsunami, hourly aftershocks that are severe in their own right and (if what we are led to believe is true) no actual melt down yet. And its over 40 year old technology. I personally think its held up better than if this had happened in some other developing countries.

If anything we want to be copying their current design and making slight improvements. Not putting the whole nuclear debate back 50 years.

Obviously if it all goes mushroom shaped later in the week I will eat my words. But so far I have huge respect for the Japanese and how well the nation is coping. Although I am only keeping tabs on the BBC reports which seems to be more level headed.

ETA: just read that link, pretty much agree with most of that. I'm not Pro or Anti nuclear fuel, just don't use this as an argument for the Anti brigade.

Did we all stop driving cars after the BP oil spill? No we bloody well did not

[Edited on 15/3/11 by balidey]

balidey - 15/3/11 at 09:21 AM

Probably a faked account but I just copied this from the BBC news feed..

quote:

0741: Rock star Bryan Adams tweets: "Calling all the great musicians and singers in the world, we should do a concert for Japan."

Oh please God, don't let Bono get involved. Japan have had enough suffering.

MikeRJ - 15/3/11 at 09:30 AM

Something I thought was very suspicious was that apparently the mobile generators that were brought in couldn't be hooked up as they had the "wrong plugs". I simply don't believe that; if the only thing that stood between you and a core meltdown was the wrong connectors, you'd have the connectors off and have it hard wired ASAP. Wiring codes can take a back seat in this situation.

David Jenkins - 15/3/11 at 09:39 AM

I'd guess that we're not talking 15A generators here - they're probably trying to connect hundreds or thousands of Amps at high voltage. The sort of power that will fry equipment if the connections aren't 100% right.

You can imagine all the safety interlocks around the connectors too - "if it isn't right, you're not going to connect to ME!"

And all the while they're trying to make these connections, they're waiting for the roof to blow off the building at any time...

Dangle_kt - 15/3/11 at 10:00 AM

An elephant in the room?

Thats the last thing the poor workers at the nuclear power plant need!

Ivan - 15/3/11 at 10:09 AM

One positive in it all - it is most probably a good time to buy Uranium shares as some have dropped 40% in the past two days. I know I will be

ColinM - 15/3/11 at 10:19 AM

And here's a very interesting Japanese perspective on the diaster. Shows their level of preparedness very well indeed. Makes you wonder what levels of preparation other countries have to deal with natural or manmade scenarios

http://www.kalzumeus.com/2011/03/13/some-perspective-on-the-japan-earthquake/

David Jenkins - 15/3/11 at 10:38 AM

That's a good link - very informative.

It also has a link to further info - MITNSE

v8kid - 15/3/11 at 10:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Something I thought was very suspicious was that apparently the mobile generators that were brought in couldn't be hooked up as they had the "wrong plugs". I simply don't believe that; if the only thing that stood between you and a core meltdown was the wrong connectors, you'd have the connectors off and have it hard wired ASAP. Wiring codes can take a back seat in this situation.

I think these pumps might be 3,300/6,600 volts and its flashover at the terminals that would be the issue. however as you say it can be overcome on site with a bit of semiconducting heat shrink

Cheers!

Strontium Dog - 15/3/11 at 10:43 AM

Personally I hope the Anti Nuke brigade give it the big one! You must be mad to think nuclear power is safe after this! How can you all be so blind as to think a reactor that may well be leaking fissionable material is OK?

A couple of years ago I made a brief study of Chernobyl and Pripyat. I intend to go there in the next few years to have a look for myself, meanwhile heres a few pics of the place to remind you of what nuclear fuel does to the planet when it all goes wrong, which it does!

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=pripyat&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&sa=X&ei=40F_TYzCMIyBhQee37mqBw&ved=0CEYQsAQ&b iw=1680&bih=825

mangogrooveworkshop - 15/3/11 at 10:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I'd guess that we're not talking 15A generators here - they're probably trying to connect hundreds or thousands of Amps at high voltage. The sort of power that will fry equipment if the connections aren't 100% right.

You can imagine all the safety interlocks around the connectors too - "if it isn't right, you're not going to connect to ME!"

And all the while they're trying to make these connections, they're waiting for the roof to blow off the building at any time...

Im sorry but electricery comes in two flavours dc and ac............single or 3 phase. A motor is a dumb animal and would be used to drive the pumps. I work with electrical stuff all day.............I would have made a plan.....and those plugs would have been made to work.
Been at a political rally working for soundscapes when we had a cable blow......lets just say a hack saw was used to cut the damaged section out and wood and clamps used to joint the cables.
When you are wearing the wrong colour skin you make a plan.....
Its in my dna to solve problems.

You would wire the greccos to run those pumps.........supply boards buzz bar chamber opened and connected directly on to the bars.

scudderfish - 15/3/11 at 10:53 AM

And when a dam goes, up to 230,000 thought dead

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banqiao_Dam

And coal mining is a nice cuddly industry with only >2,000 miners killed in China in 2004

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal_mining#Dangers_to_miners

Strontium Dog - 15/3/11 at 11:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
And when a dam goes, up to 230,000 thought dead

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banqiao_Dam

And coal mining is a nice cuddly industry with only >2,000 miners killed in China in 2004

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal_mining#Dangers_to_miners

Yes that is dreadful too, but at least there was no radioactive contamination. Perhaps you think this is preferable

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster

David Jenkins - 15/3/11 at 11:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
Im sorry but electricery comes in two flavours dc and ac............single or 3 phase. A motor is a dumb animal and would be used to drive the pumps. I work with electrical stuff all day.............I would have made a plan.....and those plugs would have been made to work.

I didn't say it couldn't be done - just that it wasn't going to be easy, and could get messy if done wrong.

I guess they're doing something along those lines at the moment.

deezee - 15/3/11 at 11:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Strontium Dog
Personally I hope the Anti Nuke brigade give it the big one! You must be mad to think nuclear power is safe after this! How can you all be so blind as to think a reactor that may well be leaking fissionable material is OK?

Well for a start your not even comparing like for like reactors, let alone a comparable safety environment at the facilities. I'm not interested in an argument, but I do protest to being preached too like I'm too stupid to make my own mind up about nuclear power. Personally I think modern reactors are incredibly safe, even those that get smashed in by earthquakes, tsunamis and explosions are still at no risk of meltdown. Pretty impressive I think. So in a country like ours, where those factors can be excluded, they are the perfect alternative to burning fossil fuels.

richardlee237 - 15/3/11 at 11:34 AM

I work for the largest Rental power company in the World.

Our standard equipment has the ability to tap at all commercially used high voltages upto 20kv.

In any distribution there is usually somewhere on the system that power can be supplied for a temporary solution even direct onto the motor if necessary and control the generator speed and fields to give a soft start.

High voltage systems do not plug in but use bolted connections.

I am sure that the power station engineers tried everything they could to keep the cooloing pumps running, the problem is that few people, if any, in the media have the knowledge, or will, to understand what is really happening.

Incidentally our share price went up by 120p yesterday !

mangogrooveworkshop - 15/3/11 at 12:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by richardlee237
I work for the largest Rental power company in the World.

Our standard equipment has the ability to tap at all commercially used high voltages upto 20kv.

In any distribution there is usually somewhere on the system that power can be supplied for a temporary solution even direct onto the motor if necessary and control the generator speed and fields to give a soft start.

High voltage systems do not plug in but use bolted connections.

I am sure that the power station engineers tried everything they could to keep the cooloing pumps running, the problem is that few people, if any, in the media have the knowledge, or will, to understand what is really happening.

Incidentally our share price went up by 120p yesterday !

GIZA JOBB MR !

richardlee237 - 15/3/11 at 12:18 PM

Yes, but look where I work !!

MikeRJ - 15/3/11 at 12:38 PM

quote:

Personally I hope that people do their own research rather than believing everything they read in the media and don't jump to silly conclusions. Japan have (or rather had) over 47 gigawatts generated by nuclear power. What do you suggest this is replaced with?

[Edited on 15/3/11 by MikeRJ]

ed1801 - 15/3/11 at 01:16 PM

"Personally I hope that people do their own research rather than believing everything they read in the media and don't jump to silly conclusions. Japan have (or rather had) over 47 gigawatts generated by nuclear power. What do you suggest this is replaced with?"

Errr.... isn't it obvious? You need 7,500,650,200,987,696,531 of the biggest wind turbines you can get you hands on.

britishtrident - 15/3/11 at 01:28 PM

Gas cooled reactors such the UKs AGR and the Canadian CANDU wouldn't have this type of problem, I used to live looking out at the Magnox and AGR station at Huntertston and never had the slightest concern about the site.

blakep82 - 15/3/11 at 01:41 PM

you know, never realised (or thought about) hunterston being nuclear powered. absolutely no concern over it at all. its only a few miles away from me

David Jenkins - 15/3/11 at 01:42 PM

quote:
Personally I hope that people do their own research rather than believing everything they read in the media and don't jump to silly conclusions.

I no longer trust the media to tell the truth on ANYTHING. They give half-truths, distort the truth and sometimes simply lie, just to get a sensational story.

scootz - 15/3/11 at 01:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
Personally I hope that people do their own research rather than believing everything they read in the media and don't jump to silly conclusions.

I no longer trust the media to tell the truth on ANYTHING. They give half-truths, distort the truth and sometimes simply lie, just to get a sensational story.

They do my skull in!

It was the Soham murders where I really noticed a move towards soap-opera style reporting. Disgraceful! Just report the facts please newspeople... I'm not interested in your opinions, or supposition!

Liam - 15/3/11 at 02:14 PM

quote:

Saying 'nucler power = Chernobyl' is like saying that using modern commercial air travel carries all the risks of flying in the Hindenberg packed with terrorists: a bit stupid.

A Chernobyl isn't even a remote possibility in Japan at the moment, as I understand the actual facts, and modern designs for future plants put even the Japanese design (which is holding up remarkably well considering the earthquake and tsunami double whammy) to shame in terms of safety.

stevegough - 15/3/11 at 04:13 PM

quote:

A couple of years ago I made a brief study of Chernobyl and Pripyat. I intend to go there in the next few years to have a look for myself, meanwhile heres a few pics of the place to remind you of what nuclear fuel does to the planet when it all goes wrong, which it does!

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=pripyat&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&sa=X&ei=40F_TYzCMIyBhQee37mqBw&ved=0CEYQsAQ&b iw=1680&bih=825

You sound just like Sky News.

If you have done a study on Chernobyl, you will have uncovered the fact that it was caused by the Russian plant management carrying out an experimental proceedure which involved locking-off back up systems and overriding the diagnostic fault control panel.

When everything went wrong, and the reactor blew, the Kremlin further exasperated the situation by totally denying it for nearly a week to the rest of the world.

The Russians are a law entirely unto themselves - Health and Safety takes a back seat.

Nuclear power is safe, provided the people designing, legislating and running the stations are trustworthy!

But let me give you an analogy - Driving. - if you drive sensibly and carefully - you are unlikely to have an accident. If you drive stupidly, at high speed and with your brake pedal sawn off - you are going to cause mayhem. But just because someone drives like that, don't tar all drivers with the same brush - don't ban motor vehicles and make us all walk?

We are running out of fossil fuels - the world demand for electricity is increasing - currently, the only realistic replacement is nuclear power - would you like to shut it all down and return to the blackouts we had in the 70s?

Kwik - 15/3/11 at 04:19 PM

this may seem like a completely selfish thought, but has anyone considered investing in the stock markets after all the news hype has moved on? stocks in the japanese nuclear plants have plummeted, and if the place does survive, as in not blow up completely, i will be half tempted to invest....

in fact id be tempted with a few japanese companies...

Jasper - 15/3/11 at 04:30 PM

Here's a thought for you - how many people have died through oil, gas and coal exploration and energy production?

How many people have died through nuclear energy supply and production?

Would you rather rely on oil and gas from Russia, Libya, Iraq, Saudi Arabia etc etc, or be totally self sufficient in energy? Especially when the oil and gas start to run out.

We must be totally bonkers NOT to be building new nuclear power plants here in the UK.

stevegough - 15/3/11 at 04:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
you know, never realised (or thought about) hunterston being nuclear powered. absolutely no concern over it at all. its only a few miles away from me

Hunterston A (magnox) reached the end of its life in 1989.
Hunterston B (AGR) is due to cease electricity production in 2016.

There are currently 23 reactors left operating at 9 sites in the UK Between them they generate 20% of our leccy.
- quite a few are reaching the end of their life in the near future.

We have only just begun to restart building the next generation of reactors - public opinion killed any chance of this for many years following Chernobyl (the last station was built in 1980).

Lets hope the popular press don't wind up joe public and kill it off again.

Regards, Steve G (32 years - Safety services team co-ordinator, springfields fuels, Westinghouse (formerly BNFL)).

[Edited on 15/3/11 by stevegough]

MikeR - 15/3/11 at 05:11 PM

One persons view of Chernobyl ...

http://www.kiddofspeed.com/

So far from what i've read the Japanese reactors have done REMARKABLY well. They've stood up to a earthquake 5 times stronger than they were designed for. They've struggled due to having diesel generators swamped by the wave & the electricity substation switching station thingy underground and .... swamped with water.

They never anticipated the tidal wave and thats whats caused the problems. The lessons to be learnt are about improving the backup procedures, if they'd been able to circulate water after hitting the emergency earthquake stop button we wouldn't have an issue.

This planet needs either a MASS reduction in energy usage or a reliable, cheap, energy source that has minimal pollution. Nuclear power has pollution, that can be deadly, but by comparison I think its far better than fossil. The biggest issue is the terrorist threat / opportunity it presents. If we could figure out fission then we'd be in such a fantastic place ....... but we live in hope.

britishtrident - 15/3/11 at 05:26 PM

Nobody really likes nuclear (for those in the US thats New-Klear) but it sure beats tallow candles and dung burning just imagine the pollution ;-)

trikerneil - 15/3/11 at 05:45 PM

The Canadian CANDU reactor is water cooled similar to the Steam Generating Heavy Water Reactor I worked on back in the day.

We need more Nuclear power.

Neil

MikeRJ - 15/3/11 at 11:24 PM

Something I do find a bit worrying; China has 13 nuclear power stations in operation, and 25 in construction. I hope they didn't examine Chernobyl and work out how to build it more cheaply...

Strontium Dog - 15/3/11 at 11:37 PM

quote:
Something I do find a bit worrying; China has 13 nuclear power stations in operation, and 25 in construction. I hope they didn't examine Chernobyl and work out how to build it more cheaply...

Er, what do you think?!

[Edited on 15/3/11 by Strontium Dog]

mangogrooveworkshop - 19/3/11 at 01:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by richardlee237
Yes, but look where I work !!

And what difference does that make......... worked in all over Africa....same sugar different place

mogman1969 - 27/3/11 at 08:30 PM

having worked in some of our oldest and the newest nuke stations in this country id like to give my input , most of the cooling systems are rather low tech think more titanic than star trek ..... its just the damage the tidal wave did that fooked every thing , you cant put a supply station in a airing cupboard to dry out .... id like to see wind turbine on every house , solar panels for every new build , the wash , seven and humber esturys used too , massive amounts of water that could be used to make power !!!! electric thats the way to go , what we need is a locost se7en crossed with a c5 lol