Board logo

Quit quiting?
Jon Ison - 1/10/13 at 07:57 PM

Smoke free for 48 hours, having a wobble, not a big enough wobble to quit quiting though, tips ?

daniel mason - 1/10/13 at 08:02 PM

i hear track days may be worth a try!
congrats by the way. stoptober may prove successful!

cryoman1965 - 1/10/13 at 08:08 PM

Are you going cold turkey or aided. I have been off it for 1.5 years and used nicorette sticks. I changed my routine so to avoid times that I would have a ciggy. Going for a walk or playing music through head phones helped in difficult times. Also started going to bed earlier and stopped drinking alcohol for a week or 2.

Good luck.

P.s I still love the smell of a ciggy from a distance.

Hth

Nige

theduck - 1/10/13 at 08:20 PM

Making a cup of tea has been my thing. 5 weeks now.

austin man - 1/10/13 at 08:30 PM

When I stopped I found that liquorice was a good replacement the black airwave chewing gum also helps

unijacko67 - 1/10/13 at 08:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
Smoke free for 48 hours, having a wobble, not a big enough wobble to quit quiting though, tips ?

Me and the Mrs quit 8 years ago, she used and still does use the Nicorette nasal spray.

morcus - 1/10/13 at 08:40 PM

I found making tea in a tea pot helped, or doing something that isn't difficult but takes a while to do as it takes your mind of it.

steve m - 1/10/13 at 09:10 PM

I gave up 53 years ago

Mugs game

Smoking Frog - 1/10/13 at 10:04 PM

Hang it out for at least a week. Use nicotine replacements. Change your routine. Keep busy. Treat yourself. Keep reminding yourself why you're packing up. Don't even think of a reason why you should be smoking. Be positive and try to see what's good about not smoking. Good luck!

Peteff - 1/10/13 at 10:19 PM

I packed up 40 years ago and never touched one since, no patches or sprays then and no substitutes like eating or anything. If you want to pack in you will otherwise just give up now and admit you are weak and unable to control your impulses

Simon - 1/10/13 at 10:43 PM

Jon, iirc you've done the hard part as the nicotine is mostly out of you system. What you need to remember is the craving only lasts as long as you think you need a smoke - get distracted at the time and the craving is gone.

I quit 7 years ago but still chew gum (ordinary stuff). I did get fat though, so maybe a workout every now and again

ATB

Simon

Jon Ison - 2/10/13 at 07:19 AM

Well I just had the best coffee in years, tasted so much nicer, lets hope this is a sign of things to come.

all money saved will go into the car, still wanted 13" trackday rubber anyone got anything ?

NigeEss - 2/10/13 at 08:52 AM

I think you smokers should be encouraged to carry on !

The government gets HUGE amounts of revenue from you guys, savings in the health service will
not happen overnight so there is only one place they turn to to recoup the losses...

The motorist.

I've never smoked and still suffer as a result

So there

Peteff - 2/10/13 at 09:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NigeEss
I think you smokers should be encouraged to carry on !

The government gets HUGE amounts of revenue from you guys, savings in the health service will
not happen overnight so there is only one place they turn to to recoup the losses...

The motorist.

I've never smoked and still suffer as a result

So there

And besides that, nobody likes a quitter

bi22le - 2/10/13 at 01:44 PM

I am the only person in my family that has never smoked.some have given up, some still trying.

Two things I have observed are:

You will put on weight as your metabolic rate decreases. Dont be disheartened and maybe fill the smoking time with a quick fast walk and lots of air through the lungs. This really helps you consolidate and analyse sticky situations that smoke may previously helped with.

You may of stopped smoking but you will never stop quiting. My dad restarted smoking after having stopped for over 10 years. Its a battle that needs a life style change. The sooner you deal with it and change your ways the better.

Good luck and stay strong. It will be worth it.

mark chandler - 2/10/13 at 04:16 PM

Stopped 30 years ago, as earlier on if you really want to stop you will! everything else patches etc are tricks after the first couple of weeks as they feed your habit.

Hardest part for me was social smoking down the pub, now you cannot smoke in pubs then that base is covered, do not expect the urge to ever go typing about it now makes me think about smoking, your body never forgets.

So it's all bad news then apart from your health, your pocket how you taste things and the horrible smokers smell

Mr Whippy - 2/10/13 at 04:25 PM

Just wait till you realise how smokers smell, second only to folk who gut fish

morcus - 2/10/13 at 04:39 PM

Get your self an illness that makes smoking really difficult and painful, makes the nicotine detox easy.

Jon Ison - 2/10/13 at 08:47 PM

Still alive n still smoke free, looking forward to a blow out Indian at weekend, is it gonna taste better ?

unijacko67 - 2/10/13 at 09:25 PM

If your gona plough the money you save into the car, I aren't even gona see you when you go past. I thought I'd hit reverse as you went past at Blyton. Keep it up.

Jon Ison - 3/10/13 at 08:15 AM

She's pretty nippy, sneaked over 130 a couple of times, think 124 was best with a passenger on board.

My 1st purchase will be tyres, I really cant continue to drive on Rembrandts,

Peteff - 3/10/13 at 08:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
Still alive n still smoke free, looking forward to a blow out Indian at weekend, is it gonna taste better ?

Don't overdo it compensating with food though Jon. That was the hardest one to give up I found, I always used to have a cigarette after a meal. I also found it hard to go into the paper shop first thing in the morning on the way to work and not ask for a packet and matches. Just force of habit more than anything but I found a pack of twenty unopened once as I was walking to the pub and when I got there I gave them to a bloke at the bar before I was tempted to open them.

daniel mason - 3/10/13 at 07:33 PM

ive got some 160-535-13 and 170-575-13 dunlop radial slicks if interested.

Irony - 3/10/13 at 07:46 PM

Can't believe people still smoke at all to be honest. Its probably cheaper and healthier to pay a man to hit you on the head repeatedly with a toffee hammer.

Mr Whippy - 3/10/13 at 08:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Irony
Can't believe people still smoke at all to be honest. Its probably cheaper and healthier to pay a man to hit you on the head repeatedly with a toffee hammer.

Yeah having watched relatives die of lung cancer it's quite a shitty way to go

Jon Ison - 3/10/13 at 09:34 PM

Still here, still smoke free, night night.

probablyleon - 4/10/13 at 09:07 AM

I was a relatively heavy smoker (Half oz of tobacco per day) and have successfully gone 'cold turkey' twice (8 years, fell off for a year then gave up again 18 months ago). I can honestly say that the nicotine element is negligible, its more the fact that you love it and its probably a big part of your life. Forget the nicotine replacement stuff (I wonder if those companies are owned by the big tobacco companies???). The most helpful thing someone said to me was "do the 3s": 1st goal is hours, then 3 days, weeks, months. If you make it to three years you've definitely cracked it, unless of course you get drunk at a party and are stood talking to an attractive woman who just happens to be smoking your favourite brand of tobacco

coozer - 4/10/13 at 10:49 AM

I cant give up cause I never started, never saw the point.. and IMO theres no such thing as an attractive woman with a tab hanging out her gob...

probablyleon - 5/10/13 at 04:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by coozer
I cant give up cause I never started, never saw the point.. and IMO theres no such thing as an attractive woman with a tab hanging out her gob...

Yes, cold logic probably dictates that we'd have all been better off never starting in the first place. Unfortunately the world seems to be packed full of pointless yet extremely pleasurable pursuits, maybe its better to have loved and lost than never loved at all

As for attractive women with tabs hanging out of their gobs... I've always found Audrey Hepburn fairly easy on the eye