Board logo

Harrier plane crash!!
donut - 3/11/06 at 03:47 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YX6D_u_5vk

ned - 3/11/06 at 03:57 PM

that's quite an old one, saw it at least a year ago. allegedly hovered for too long and the engines overheat if they are stationary for too long or so I heard last time I saw that..

Ned.

JackNco - 3/11/06 at 04:55 PM

havent seen that one, always amazes me how how they can eject from!

John

mistergrumpy - 3/11/06 at 05:10 PM

You can even eject upside down you know!

nib1980 - 3/11/06 at 05:10 PM

When they hover they spray water into the intake to cool the jets or they do overheat, If i remeber correctly, lucky pilot, some planes don't have zero height ejector seats

quote:
Originally posted by ned
that's quite an old one, saw it at least a year ago. allegedly hovered for too long and the engines overheat if they are stationary for too long or so I heard last time I saw that..

Ned.

[Edited on 3/11/06 by nib1980]

Guinness - 3/11/06 at 05:25 PM

Well that's a bit extreme just to cool the engines down, no way a quick spray of "Damp Start" is going to get that one started in a hurry.

Mike

Agriv8 - 3/11/06 at 08:11 PM

the lucky bugger only 2 more to go and he is out of there.

( I belive - unless its an urban myth,that after 3 ejections - oh er - you are retired on health grounds, compaction of the spine )

regards

agriv8

mistergrumpy - 3/11/06 at 08:32 PM

This is true and did you know that when they do bang out they get a free Martin Baker tie. Prompts plenty of rumours when a pilot is close to coming out of the mob and 'accidently' bangs out.

locoboy - 3/11/06 at 08:48 PM

Used to supply parts to Martin Baker and visited their production facility on many occasions........

They have a tally counter in the foyer that goes up every time someone is saved by one of their seats, generally it is accompanied by a picture of them too.

Pretty cool advertising material...

asn163 - 3/11/06 at 08:58 PM

Funny this thread should start now. Going down to Martin Baker next week through work.

Following on from Locoboy, they also post the number of lives saved on their website, currently 29 IIRC this year and 7000+ in total.

Simon

rsk289locost - 3/11/06 at 09:34 PM

Pilot error that one..at least the pilot had the decency to break his ankle (I think it was) when he landed back on the jet. Judging by the reaction of the bathers it's a common occurance in Lowestoft. Water is injected into the combustion chambers as required if they need to 'trip the limiters'. By the way only one Pegasus engine in the Harrier.

[Edited on 3/11/06 by rsk289locost]

mookaloid - 4/11/06 at 12:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8
the lucky bugger only 2 more to go and he is out of there.

( I belive - unless its an urban myth,that after 3 ejections - oh er - you are retired on health grounds, compaction of the spine )

regards

agriv8

It's true - after 3 ejections they are retired, their spines are severely shortened.

It's not on medical grounds though - it's that they can't see over the edge of the cockpit any more

donut - 4/11/06 at 08:51 AM

quote:

It's not on medical grounds though - it's that they can't see over the edge of the cockpit any more

ed_crouch - 4/11/06 at 10:18 AM

In the F104 Starfighter, the cockpit is so small that most pilots will have their kneecaps removed by the top of the instrument binnacle. I believe most ejection seats have stirrups to draw your feet back to stop you losing it all below the knees. Powered by cold/hot gas pneumatic systems.