Board logo

build your own house for as little as £4000
smart51 - 10/3/08 at 03:23 PM

Link to BBC story

Taz Surfleet - 10/3/08 at 03:35 PM

Add to that the cost of land building regs, planning, surveys etc and you wont see much change from 130,000 and then youve got to get it past the planners ( I dont like it therefore you cant have it brigade !!).

hardassfunk - 10/3/08 at 03:38 PM

£4000 to build the house and probably £150.000 for the land? not so locost now

Guinness - 10/3/08 at 03:39 PM

It's nice isn't it.

But there are a few bits and pieces the BBC story doesn't really go into detail about.

The cost of buying the land anywhere other than a remote bit of Scotland is likely to significantly overshadow the £4k!

There is no mention that it complies with current Building Regulations, it's pretty difficult to get accurate u values for very traditional construction methods. Also getting a structural engineer to sign off a traditional timber construction like that is pretty tricky (they prefer sawn timber!)There is also some difficulty in getting 12v dc systems signed off in domestic situations! even though they are common place in cars.

There is also no mention of planning permission. I can't see you getting permission to stick a house looking like that in the middle of a town or city.

But it does show that we don't need massive new eco towns to solve our enviromental problems.

Cheers

Mike

Richard Quinn - 10/3/08 at 04:05 PM

build your own house for as little as £4000
... and race it ???

[Edited on 10/3/08 by Richard Quinn]

Guinness - 10/3/08 at 04:16 PM

Do you think there will be a second edition that corrects all the dimensional mistakes in the original book?

eznfrank - 10/3/08 at 04:19 PM

I can't imagine what sort of hill you'd need to bump off a house when it runs flat.

gingerprince - 10/3/08 at 04:19 PM

Build Your Own House
Build Your Own House

Mr Whippy - 10/3/08 at 04:28 PM

superb I was just waiting for someone to do that.

a mud hut whatever next???

[Edited on 10/3/08 by Mr Whippy]

Guinness - 10/3/08 at 04:50 PM

I think I'll need a +442!

Has anyone got plans?

Or could I make the frame out of bamboo?

Mike

Dangle_kt - 10/3/08 at 05:02 PM

Before long the will set up a mudhutbuilders website and sit chatting on the 12v computers rather than doing any building at all!

Confused but excited. - 10/3/08 at 06:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Guinness

Or could I make the frame out of bamboo?

Mike

Yes, just don't ask if you can make it out of aluminium tube.