Board logo

ZX12 swivel sump
erwe - 7/4/09 at 02:35 PM

I have a swivel sump mounted in my racer but when I fill oil (3,3 liter) it always throws about 1 liter in my catch tank.
To much pressure in the sump?
I blanked the vacumm plates at the head, should I open these to have an extra pressure outlet or what else to do?
I also thought to mount an extra catch tank above the outlet so that the oil can get back in the engine.

thegasmen - 7/4/09 at 04:14 PM

Are you still running a baffle plate in the sump as well

Mick

Andy B - 7/4/09 at 05:19 PM

Hi
we run a number of these on road and race cars with no problems. Several things can be causing the issues you have.
When the sump was fitted was the rubber vent pipe connection cut back to sump mating face height?
What sort of mileage does the engine have on it - could it be getting blow by on tired rings and bores?
Alternatively can you improve the crankcase breathing by adding an extra vent to the oil filler etc
Is the baffle plate installed - do not run without it as the pick up will swing as it should but the oil wont be there
If you would like more info call me on 01449 736633
regards
Andy

Sebastian - 7/4/09 at 05:54 PM

He Rob,

Why don't try a nice Standard Dry Sump system!!

[Edited on 7/4/09 by Sebastian]

erwe - 7/4/09 at 06:51 PM

>When the sump was fitted was the rubber vent pipe connection cut back to sump mating face height?
Yep, as described. I used a dry sump for three years without problem.

>What sort of mileage does the engine have on it - could it be getting blow by on tired rings and bores?
Engine was quiet fresh from Yorkshire engines.

>Alternatively can you improve the crankcase breathing by adding an extra vent to the oil filler etc
I already had something like this in mind.

>Is the baffle plate installed
Yes

Andy, what about an extra catch tank with the breather connected to the bottom of the tank?

@Sebastian - Pffft, annoying neighbor you are