Board logo

Pinto Oil Grade
ash_hammond - 6/5/11 at 04:48 PM

Hi All,

What grade oil do people run in their Pinto Engines.

Also how many litres considering the sump is shortened.

Thanks

--Ash

jacko - 6/5/11 at 05:22 PM

I use 10 /40 full sin
The amount of oil is determined by the dip stick fill to the top mark
I use a jug to see how much goes in
Jacko

sssline - 6/5/11 at 05:55 PM

Hi,
I've stuck with 20/50, based on that being the preferred at the time of manufacture and for additive levels to suit the pinto engine, also like the metal can that castrol classic comes in

Cheers
Tony.R

snapper - 6/5/11 at 06:13 PM

20w50 gives a bit more psi
If the dipstick and tube is correct for the block then fill to the max, the dipstick is only so you don't over fill and have the crank splashing in the oil, the bottom level is now nearly irrelevant as you have less oil in the sump than the dipstick was made for.

DRC INDY 7 - 6/5/11 at 06:23 PM

I used 5w 50 fully synth because I rebuilt the engine to high spec but if it's never been apart then 20w 50 is the norm

britishtrident - 6/5/11 at 06:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sssline
Hi,
I've stuck with 20/50, based on that being the preferred at the time of manufacture and for additive levels to suit the pinto engine, also like the metal can that castrol classic comes in

Cheers
Tony.R

The 1970s ubiquitous 20w/50 mineral oil is one the main reason early Pintos ate camshafts due lack of lubrication after cold starts. Camshaft lubrication is a major problem on Pintos.

10w/40 or 5w/40 semi or full synthetic --- as Pintos greatly a highly detergent oil ideally the oil of choice would also meet the API spec CD or later for Diesel engines.

Xtreme Kermit - 6/5/11 at 07:19 PM

Valvoline 20w50 VR1 for me.

mcerd1 - 6/5/11 at 08:06 PM

my donor used to run on cheap 10w/40 mineral oil that was ment for old diesel tractors (I'd guess there was loads of detergent in that stuff)
but it was still doing very well after 151k and no rebuilds (at least 100k on the cheap oil...)

now its been rebuilt I'm going to try something like 10w/40 or 15w/40 synthetic (or maybe semi-synthetic)

[Edited on 6/5/2011 by mcerd1]

flak monkey - 6/5/11 at 08:10 PM

I ran 10w60 Castrol stuff in a gold coloured bottle. Basically their fully synthetic stuff.

Standard oil grade is 20w50. Normally on hard driving with higher oil temps you would increase the hot weight by 10. The first number should just be as low as possible to improve lube when cold...

Always got excellent oil pressure.

sssline - 6/5/11 at 08:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:
Hi,

Cheers
Tony.R

The 1970s ubiquitous 20w/50 mineral oil is one the main reason early Pintos ate camshafts due lack of lubrication after cold starts. Camshaft lubrication is a major problem on Pintos.

10w/40 or 5w/40 semi or full synthetic --- as Pintos greatly a highly detergent oil ideally the oil of choice would also meet the API spec CD or later for Diesel engines.

True, just bear in mind that "good" early oils are EP rated due to the high pressures involved between cam and follower, modern oils can also cause wear due to the lack of additives to deal with this

ash_hammond - 6/5/11 at 09:05 PM

Thanks Guys.

britishtrident - 6/5/11 at 09:10 PM

While a drop in oil pressure is a symptom, but getting higher oil pressure by using a more viscose oil grade doesn't have any advantage or relevance.
One of the main reasons modern engines are lasting much longer without rebuilds than 1970s and earlier engines is the improvement in oils. Modern oils that flow better at the cold end but also have better film strength protect the wearing parts much better than old fashioned oils.

More than 90% of engine wear occurs at and just after cold start. At cold start the key factor is the time taken for an effective oil supply to reach the wearing parts, with the Pinto engine the camshaft and followers are a problem because the finger followers effectively wipe the lubrication film off the camshaft. Because the cam is located a long way from the oil pump it takes a relatively long time for oil to get through and renew the oil film.

Leaving aside the supply of oil to the camshaft and cold start issues the actual oil pressure in the that prevents metal to metal contact within the bearing is generated by fluid hydrodynamic effects within the bearing itself.
This pressure in is much higher than any head of pressure the oil pump can generate. To service the crankshaft bearings all the oil pump has to do is to generate sufficient oil flow rate to replace the oil in the bearing and cool the bearing.

Thicker the oil viscosity the oil the lower the oil flow rate to the bearings, a lower flow rate implies less cooling.

[Edited on 7/5/11 by britishtrident]

britishtrident - 7/5/11 at 06:59 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:
Hi,

Cheers
Tony.R

True, just bear in mind that "good" early oils are EP rated due to the high pressures involved between cam and follower, modern oils can also cause wear due to the lack of additives to deal with this

Modern oils have much higher film strengths than mineral oils they simply don't need the amounts of anti-scuff additives used in mineral oils.

Between 1960 and 2000 the life expectancy of the bottom end bearings of a typical Ford engine increased from 30,000 miles to 200,000 miles the main reason for this was improved oils.