Board logo

Are These Any Good ?
Daddylonglegs - 22/10/11 at 08:38 PM

As the title really, are eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace any good for popping into the tail-end of a standard exhaust can? I want to try and 'shush' my exhaust a bit more, reckon it's gonna hack of Mr IVA as it is.

I got a sound level meter off the bay but not sure if I'm using it right or if it's out of calibration. It shows around 120dB on the 'Flat' setting and around 110dB on the 'A' setting. So if it's OK then I need to lose some sound somewhere

mad-butcher - 22/10/11 at 08:53 PM

Rubbish on a registered car, should really be called power killer, not sure what sort of effect the possible increase in back pressure in the exhaust might have on any sensors for the iva, fortunately all my vehicles are cat exempt.

tony

kevmcdo - 22/10/11 at 08:56 PM

I had one similar for my viper race can and it did do a good job of making it quite a bit quieter.

The down side is that you could also feel the effect of it taking the edge of the performance of the engine.

1 minute job to remove it after IVA though for the drive home

Trev Borg - 22/10/11 at 09:45 PM

They do work if all you want to do it make it less loud for a limited amount of time.

Like everyone else has said, the effect on the engine is a bit restrictive.

The race can on my bike did not have the normal 'not for road use' stamped on. Not sure how it managed to fall off, but went through the MOT with a db killer in the end no problem.

[Edited on 22/10/2011 by Trev Borg]

[Edited on 22/10/2011 by Trev Borg]

Daddylonglegs - 22/10/11 at 09:52 PM

I tried my Blueflame twin-port earlier off my VFR and it did sound rather yummy . I took it off the bike as it's not in the best of conditions and also it has lost one of the bungs so if I did use it I would need to get another one for it as it's rather loud!

MikeRJ - 22/10/11 at 10:46 PM

Don't the power killers prevent the tester inserting the exhaust probe to check emissions levels?

snapper - 23/10/11 at 06:39 AM

Goes between manifold collector end and the exhaust system works a treat for IVA.
Can increase emissions by restricting engine power due to back pressure thus more unburned fuel is produced.

ginger ninja - 23/10/11 at 11:24 AM

you say its a standard can, check that there is enough clear depth within the can to insert the db killer before laying out any dosh, sometimes blocked by the can internals.

The IVA manual is the first thing to check regarding noise level, and how it is measured. The distance from the exhaust and angle are important.
Once you know how to test it, the A scale is what is required. Where you test can also alter the reading a bit. Testing in a confined space may make the reading higher.