Board logo

K series/ type 9 starter and clutch
tommyd584s - 4/8/13 at 06:10 PM

Hi all, I'm trying to find out what starter and clutch set up to use for a k series to type nine using the QED bell housing. I have tried asking QED but they don't know themselves. I have a caterham copy starter but is seems to hit the web on the block. Do I need to grind the web off? or I have heard a starter from a skoda can be used? Any help would be great. Thanks

[Edited on 4/8/13 by tommyd584s]

dickie b - 4/8/13 at 08:08 PM

My fury is fitted with a caterham k-series, type 9 and bell housing - all stock caterham parts.

The starter motor (make unknown but again standard caterham part) uses an aluminium spacer ring - caterham probably sell the part which may solve your clearance issue?

Hope this helps

Richard

tommyd584s - 4/8/13 at 08:25 PM

Hi Richard,
Thanks for the info, I've already ordered to spacer from Caterham but this only moves the starter sprocket back to stop it fouling on the outer ring gear. My issue is the side of the starter hitting the side of the block.

Shandylegs - 4/8/13 at 08:39 PM

Tommy - The webbing on the block will need to be reshaped to fit the starter for all rwd applications (well everyone I've ever come across inc Caterhams).

tommyd584s - 4/8/13 at 10:17 PM

Thanks Sandylegs

metro6r4 - 18/8/13 at 07:26 PM

had to take quite a bit of meat off the block when i put mine together. i had to lose part of the engine number as well