Board logo

rusty flywheel
ghuncha - 6/9/07 at 03:59 PM

well my flywheel was out in the open for almost 2 months.. now its rusty, pics show the details, how can i get rid of the rust, and some one told me hat i might have to get it resurfaced.... so will the machine shop do it and is the resurfacing needed??

ghuncha - 6/9/07 at 04:00 PM

btw the engien is toyota 4age silvertop

SeaBass - 6/9/07 at 04:02 PM

Pah a tiny bit of surface rust!

Get the wire brush on the angle grinder... Remember to use new flywheel bolts too!

designer - 6/9/07 at 04:14 PM

Wire brush then run over with fine emery.

graememk - 6/9/07 at 04:31 PM

Electrolysis. See the light!

Catpuss - 6/9/07 at 04:47 PM

Loads of non brewed condiment (cheap vinegar) will take the rust off overnight and make your garage stink like a chip shop

donut - 6/9/07 at 05:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Catpuss
Loads of non brewed condiment (cheap vinegar) will take the rust off overnight and make your garage stink like a chip shop
Hoorah!

ghuncha - 6/9/07 at 06:01 PM

waht about Sodium hydroxide (NaOH), bu i think once the rust is removed, it come sback very quickly on the shiny surface.. so paitn it immidiately??

designer - 6/9/07 at 06:43 PM

Vinegar every time, But don't paint it.

Macbeast - 6/9/07 at 09:31 PM

Grease it.

No DON'T

The only bit you have to worry about is where the clutch plate bears - a bit of emery will do that. If you didn't clean that area your first few starts might be a bit rough.

matt_claydon - 6/9/07 at 11:13 PM

As the corrosion is uniform, I'd suggest you just let it clean itself. You could use a wire brush to remove the worst though if you like.

02GF74 - 7/9/07 at 09:18 AM

wire brush or wet'n'dry on a flat block

just think of all the wieght you will save!

Mark Allanson - 8/9/07 at 07:50 AM

Electroysis and a squirt of WD40, wipe of the driven face and the clutch will polish it up in no time.