Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Strange happenings - Monitor
speedyxjs

posted on 7/2/09 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
Strange happenings - Monitor

This morning i switched my pc on and the monitor had white 'snowy' lines across it. I fitted my old graphics card, no different. I went out and brought a new lead to my monitor still no change, so this lead my to beleive it was my monitor given up. I unplugged it,, blew dust out of it (there wasnt much) and plugged it in just to see if that had helped and amazingly it had but now the picture is blurry and im typing this thinking im drunk.
Could it be anything else? My dad is bringing a monitor home from work but if that doesnt help, i dont know where else to look.
Worse part is, the monitor is only 2 yrs old

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

jlparsons

posted on 7/2/09 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
Think it's had sex. (f@@ked)
Is it a crt or lcd?

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

speedyxjs

posted on 7/2/09 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Nice way of putting it^^^
Its LCD

Mark Allanson

posted on 7/2/09 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Check you don't have any bent pins in the connector, I had a similar thing with mine but some careful teasing with a small screwdriver cured it

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

speedyxjs

posted on 7/2/09 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
No bent pins
l0rd

posted on 7/2/09 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
try playing with the setting on windows. Change resolution, play with the refresh rate.
Simon

posted on 7/2/09 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
I can't help, but the "only 2 years old" bit made me smile.

My Gateway monitor popped 13 days after 1 year warranty expired. Asked if they'd like to fix it they suggested that er, no. Needless to say, I wil never touch another Gateway product

As it happens, that was just an internal fuse.

ATB

Simon

speedyxjs

posted on 7/2/09 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
Just fitted new monitor from work and it works perfectly. Im off to buy a new monitor.

Benzine

posted on 7/2/09 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
In some flatscreens I've had I "pinch" the plastic frame around the edge and that helps. Also they often have a degauss equivalent as CRTs have that reset/sort out the image.

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jlparsons

posted on 7/2/09 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Before you actually bin it, take it apart and wiggle all connections. Disconnect and reconnect anything that's not soldered in. Might work, nothing to lose! Worked on my old CRT monitor many years ago.

And if it doesn't, at least a bit of aggressive disassembly will make you feel better.

Caveat: make sure you've absolutely definitely tried everything else you possibly can first, and don't sue me.

[Edited on 7/2/09 by jlparsons]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.