Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Virgin PC guard ?
clairetoo

posted on 15/2/09 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Virgin PC guard ?

My dad has finally joined the internet revolution with a brand new computer - and it has something called `PC guard` from Virgin
Question is - is it any good , or would I be better off un-installing it , and downloading something like `Avast` ?

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

jlparsons

posted on 15/2/09 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Never dealt with it myself but the concensus is that it's poo by the look of this...

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=758535

I use avast, have used AVG in the past. Both good, avast seems a little less resource hungry.

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

britishtrident

posted on 15/2/09 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Use Hijack this to strip out anything unwanted them download Avira ---- free version is fine but the paid for version gives you more features.and much quicker updates.

http://www.free-av.com/en/products/index.html

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Fozzie

posted on 15/2/09 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
My dad has finally joined the internet revolution with a brand new computer - and it has something called `PC guard` from Virgin
Question is - is it any good , or would I be better off un-installing it , and downloading something like `Avast` ?

I have been with Virgin/NTL for many years, and knowing how pants their 'spam' filters are for emails, I would never use or trust their pc guard type stuff.

I personally prefer to trust and keep with Avast! (free Home edition), and SpyBot Search and Destroy....
If he is new to the tinternet, he should find those user friendly, especially Avast as it automatically updates itself as and when.

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

clairetoo

posted on 15/2/09 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Cheer's guy's - Avast now installed , along with Zone alarm
I wondered straight away about an anti-virus `thingy` that I'd never heard of..........

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

britishtrident

posted on 15/2/09 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
You don't need Zone alarm Windows own firewall is just fine. --

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.