Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: internet problem
chrisg

posted on 27/9/08 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
internet problem

I'm having a weird problem with the internet.

Some sites(like this one) are fine but I get"Internet Explorer cannot display the page" for loads of others including ebay, facebook and MSN email.

It's the same with firefox.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Macbeast

posted on 27/9/08 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
I have similar on my laptop - will not display any site address "https"

For instance it will connect to BT/Yahoo site but will not let me go further into mail.
Won't connect to Hotmail

Will be interested to know the answer. It wouldn't do it on dial up connection either so it's not router problem

[Edited on 27/9/08 by Macbeast]

llionellis

posted on 28/9/08 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Hi
I had what seems to be a similar problem. I.T. guy at work said it might be a DNS problem (dont ask me what DNS means but has something to do with how your ISP accesses the web. in my case Tiscali) and to google Open DNS. Anyway downloaded Open DNS and followed the instructions, no problems at all since then.

britishtrident

posted on 28/9/08 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
It sounds like your ISPS DNS servers have got corrupted when they got their daily database update --- it happens to even the best ISPs although the better ISPs actively monitor and fix problems, however it should fix itself with 24 hours.

Alternatively you can use any DNS server on the internet (such as another ISP's DNS servers) you can find the address of and insert it in your routers or PCs settings.

Open DNS is such a DNS server however please read the warning on privacy issues in Open DNS Wikipedia entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDNS ---

However what I do on Windows PCs to ensure the problem cannot occur is to install Trewalk and point the PC to locahost (127.0.0.1) as its primary DNS server.

The PC then acts as its own primary DNS server falling back to your ISP's DNS server if it hasn't stored the address..

Trewalk can also be used to automatically block a lot of malicious and undesireable web sites

Treawlk home page http://ntcanuck.com/

[Edited on 28/9/08 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 28/9/08 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
list of alternative DNS servers here
http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/dns.htm

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Macbeast

posted on 29/9/08 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Well thanks but....

Tried all the usual stuff, spybot adaware etc to no avail. So since the machine offered a smart restore to as-delivered state I tried that.

Faulty read off hard drive and no going back so I can't even get into Windows now " file xxxx is missing "

Does anybody know where I can buy a legal copy of XP at a reasonable price ? The place I last got one from at about £80 now quotes £178 + VAT.

I don't want any illegal copies as |I've been down that road before and it's just a pain.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.