Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: External drive losing my baby pics
Ninehigh

posted on 4/10/08 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
External drive losing my baby pics

We got an external hard drive which we kept all our music video and pictures on. Last week when I switched it on it whirred up, click, whirr down. Whirr up, click, whirr down. Then nothing, windows won't recognise it, recovery software won't recognise it, nothing. Any ideas how to recover it? Most of it I can get back it's just the pictures

dmac

posted on 4/10/08 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
You could always try this and let us know if it really works.

Duncan

Werner Van Loock

posted on 4/10/08 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
most of the time when it does that it means it doesn't have enough power. Is it powered by usb only or with a adapter?

If powered by usb only, have you plugged something else in recently?

If with adapter, check if the adapter is still working.

Other possibility is that the electronics gave up, then you could always rip it open and put the HD in another housing.

Last but worst possibility, HD failure, no way to recover that.

http://www.clubstylus.be

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Surrey Dave

posted on 4/10/08 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
If its not hard drive failure you could fit the drive into another compo and if neccesary use something like , RecoverMyFiles.

That program worked wonders for me recently .

blakep82

posted on 4/10/08 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
not quite the same situation, but i've got an external HDD (usb powered, and USB 2.0) and it won't work with my laptop. the pc says something like 'power surge on usb port' or something. the hdd makes the same noises as you describe.

now, it has worked fine on your comp before, but don't rule out something wrong with the PC? have you tried on another computer yet?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Ninehigh

posted on 4/10/08 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Tried it on the laptop too, and unplugged from any pc, it's externally powered so that's not a problem. I'll suggest freezing it, that may be what the professionals do!

scudderfish

posted on 5/10/08 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
Internally it will just be a standard hard disk. Take it out and either put it in another caddy, or directly inside the PC.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.