Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Just fallen fowl of the new insurance law. Word of warning
PSpirine

posted on 21/1/12 at 01:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedstar
You can get plates off ebay without any proof. I had a rear one made up for when I was towing. £8 delivered - no questions asked.

Stupid law. No legal binding behind it at all.

The main issue is that insurance prices are SO high in this country people are willing to take the risk.

Lets say someone has a £500 corsa or the like, that costs them £3000 to insure. Even if the police seize it and crush it, theyre still £2500 better off. Stupid situation.

True.. back when I just got my license (18, minimum age) in Cyprus, insurance on a modified 1.3 Mini and on a Yaris amounted to 200 quid a year. I think the fine for not having insurance was more than the annual cost (forgetting the fact they'd impound your car - not crush it though)

Never did figure that out, as so many people in Cyprus crash.. perhaps they just don't claim??

Ninehigh

posted on 21/1/12 at 04:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PSpirine
quote:
Originally posted by speedstar
You can get plates off ebay without any proof. I had a rear one made up for when I was towing. £8 delivered - no questions asked.

Stupid law. No legal binding behind it at all.

The main issue is that insurance prices are SO high in this country people are willing to take the risk.

Lets say someone has a £500 corsa or the like, that costs them £3000 to insure. Even if the police seize it and crush it, theyre still £2500 better off. Stupid situation.

True.. back when I just got my license (18, minimum age) in Cyprus, insurance on a modified 1.3 Mini and on a Yaris amounted to 200 quid a year. I think the fine for not having insurance was more than the annual cost (forgetting the fact they'd impound your car - not crush it though)

Never did figure that out, as so many people in Cyprus crash.. perhaps they just don't claim??

Last year when Direct Line quoted me over 900 for the pug, with a 750 excess mind, I told them they can half it or I'd just not bother. Yeah it's not worth it sometimes, and to combat this (when they cotton on) they'll just make the fine £8000

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.