Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: pro's and cons of owning a BEC
marc n

posted on 26/5/08 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
if you use the omex we will of course have a custom map made that will work on all our cars

cheers

marc

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pwl

posted on 26/5/08 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marc n
quote:

Why does the F20C need a dry sump? is it height issues? I might be buying a Half-cut S2000 straight from japan and rip-out the bits at my own lesiure in the garage.

dry sumping only gained an extra 5mm clearance, when we do our own s2000 we will not bother with the sump, in our latest cars the body is 25mm higher, so an s2000 with standard sump sits just below the chassis rail from memory 10 - 15mm infact the lowest part is the bell housing

ecu does need to be swapped by an after market job

cheers

marc

Hi Marc

You are right about the minimal height advantage of the drysump. The drysump is 40mm lower than the stock oil pan, but the bell housing is 30-35 mm lower than the drysump.
On mine, the bell housing is 25-30 mm under the rails, so the stock oil pan would have bin 30-40 mm under the rails.

I would highly recommend you to drysump it, if you are building a track car, the F20C engine are famous for its oil starvation problems, if you are putting slicks or semi slicks on the car, a drysump is a absolute must. For a street car on road tyres, I would recommend a baffled oil pan at the very least.

PWL

[Edited on 26/5/08 by pwl]

pwl

posted on 26/5/08 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Here is a couple of pictures of the drysump, if anybody is interested

[img][/img]

clutch_kick

posted on 27/5/08 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Was it oil surges in a 7-type car?? I would think that the transversally mounted version (K20A) would be more prone to oil starvation, when mounted in a mid-engined car. Do Atoms use a dry-sump?

I can understand the use of a Dry-sump on a Race oriented 7, but I would like to think that a baffled sump is sufficient on a road car, or an occasional track day.

pwl

posted on 27/5/08 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe its just me that are playing it a bit to safe, I just don’t like to worry about if the engine is going to blow op in the next corner, when I am on the track.

I am building a track only car.

Just trying to share the information I have gathered.

PWL

[Edited on 27/5/08 by pwl]

clutch_kick

posted on 27/5/08 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
That's true enough ... a track only car makes sense to have a dry-sump, oil-cooler, and a better cooling system. However ... thanks a lot for those pics pwl. I'm pretty sure your car is going to rip a lot of tarmac

I just want something to give all the jap-car boys a hard time on the road, and the odd hill-climb and lots of 1/4 mile runs. I have a good feeling that i can get the Vortx with this sort of engine close to 12.5 secs.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.