Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Missing Avatars and Pics
ChrisW

posted on 29/12/10 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Ok, having looked into this some more, it appears that RazMan's avatar is something to do with the file itself, not the site. If I download it to my test PC, no IE version will display it, but Firefox and Chrome do.

So, what I'm interested in, is if people are having a problem with avatars other than RazMan's or is this just related to his?

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisW

posted on 29/12/10 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, got to the bottom of this.

It seems that Internet Explorer dropped support for CMYK jpeg files from IE8 onwards without telling anyone. There are several blog posts about it out there, for example this one:

Internet Explorer JPEG CMYK Issues

Checking up, RazMan's avatar is indeed saved as CMYK, which doesn't work with IE >= 8, although Firefox and Chrome support it fine.

For the technical amongst us:

code:
[chris@typhon files]# identify -verbose cnc_dash.jpg | grep " Colorspace"
Colorspace: RGB
[chris@typhon files]# identify -verbose cnc2.jpg | grep " Colorspace"
Colorspace: CMYK

...the latter being RazMan's non-working avatar.

So, back to the original problem, I need to know from people whether it's just this one avatar that doesn't work or whether there are more widespread problems with IE8.

Thanks, Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 29/12/10 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the heads up Chris. You are of course exactly right and my avatar (and some of my other pics) are by default, 32bit images because I am in the graphic design business and need the best possible quality for my customers. I suspect that most people use more conservative settings when exporting or resizing pics so hopefully not a big problem for the site.

I have now converted the image down to 8bit (as it is greyscale) and will have a look at the other pics when I get some time.

Strange that in IE9 (beta) they have switched on the 32bit thing again, so it does seem to be limited to IE8 as most of the other browsers seem fine with it. Good ol' Microsoft eh?

[Edited on 29-12-10 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

ChrisW

posted on 29/12/10 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
I know... it's a wierd one! I thought about writing some code into the image viewer to detect IE8, then check for CMYK and convert automatically, but looking at it, it's such a small percentage of images that cause a problem I don't think it's worth it.

Chris

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.