Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT Help please, Scenic running rough
l0c0st

posted on 9/2/09 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
OT Help please, Scenic running rough

Hello all.

My X reg 1.6 16v Renault scenic has developed a severe lack of power and now sounds like a 2CV.

When idling the engine moves much more than it did before which manifests itself inside the car by the gearstick wobbling all over the place.

There haven't been any warning lights on the dash.

I have checked the resistance of the individual coils as suggested by the haynes manual, but they are all similar resistances.

I've also looked for leaks around the inlet manifold etc and can't find anything obvious.

Money's a bit tight at the moment so would rather not pay a garage and I'm off work on paternity leave so have a bit of time to spend on it!

Dom

BenB

posted on 9/2/09 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
It might be worth hooking it up to a fault reader. Not all fault codes result in an a code on the dash.....
vinny1275

posted on 9/2/09 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Could be a faulty lambda sensor giving dodgy readings to the ECU?

MK9R

posted on 9/2/09 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
The coils go on renaults (very common fault), my parents megane gets through one every 6 months or so. They split very very slightly and arc out. The car looses power runs like crap and does terrible mpg.

[Edited on 9/2/09 by MK9R]

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dinosaurjuice

posted on 9/2/09 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MK9R
The coils go on renaults (very common fault), my parents megane gets through one every 6 months or so. They split very very slightly and arc out. The car looses power runs like crap and does terrible mpg.

i know of a few 2.0l lagunas that have had this problem... with no fault codes or warning. if the 1.6 is a similar engine, its probably that.

MK9R

posted on 9/2/09 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dinosaurjuice
quote:
Originally posted by MK9R

i know of a few 2.0l lagunas that have had this problem... with no fault codes or warning. if the 1.6 is a similar engine, its probably that.

My parents is a 1.6. From what i hear it happens to all petrol renaults!! The AA actually carry them onboard there repair vans! My dad araldites the crack up, its lasts about 3 months, so a free temporary fix.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 9/2/09 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Change the coils and leads and plugs -- check plug gap before fitting.

It adds to the cost but the problem will be much less likely to return -- usually these problems are started by excessive HT voltage demands fromthe plugs & leads. The excess voltage causes a spark to jump over the coil insulator creating a carbonised track.

Several different type of coils on these --- you may need to take old one with to get one also chassis number and engine type code.

I use this web shop quite often -- quick delivery & good service

http://www.ignitionleads.co.uk/index.aspx

Brook_lands

posted on 9/2/09 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
I'd go for coil packs as well - colleague always seems to have problems after wet weather - as commented AA carry them as a standard item and charge about £35 a throw if they change one. Colleague's vehicle is the same as yours and has now had 4 changed in the lst couple of years
l0c0st

posted on 9/2/09 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you all for your replies. I've ordered a new coil and I'll pick up some new plugs tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Cheers Dom

rusty nuts

posted on 9/2/09 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

It adds to the cost but the problem will be much less likely to return -- usually these problems are started by excessive HT voltage demands fromthe plugs & leads. The excess voltage causes a spark to jump over the coil insulator creating a carbonised track.

Several different type of coils on these --- you may need to take old one with to get one also chassis number and engine type code.

No leads on the Renault , direct to plug coil packs.

MK9R

posted on 10/2/09 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

No leads on the Renault , direct to plug coil packs.

yep, 4 seperate colild that plug onto top of spark plugs

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

l0c0st

posted on 10/2/09 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
I've fitted the new coil and the car is back to it's old self.

The new coil came with some instructions to find which one of the four was faulty, which may be useful for anyone who has the same problem in future.

All you need to do is, when the car is idling, unplug the connector on each of the fuel injectors in turn. The one that doesn't make the misfiring worse is the one that's broken.

Thank you all for your help. Really chuffed to have the car running again without being too out of pocket.

Dom

MK9R

posted on 10/2/09 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by l0c0st
I've fitted the new coil and the car is back to it's old self.

The new coil came with some instructions to find which one of the four was faulty, which may be useful for anyone who has the same problem in future.

All you need to do is, when the car is idling, unplug the connector on each of the fuel injectors in turn. The one that doesn't make the misfiring worse is the one that's broken.

Thank you all for your help. Really chuffed to have the car running again without being too out of pocket.

Dom

Good news!!
See you can get something out of this site, other than just different ways to seriously empty your wallet!!!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.