Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Helmets
A1

posted on 2/4/09 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Helmets

im having an argument...help me...please
basically, i know its not fantastic to drive without a helmet, but has anyone ever actually had a bad experience?
ta

David Jenkins

posted on 2/4/09 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Occasionally I drive with shades on instead of a helmet. The worst thing I've experienced is following an empty builder's lorry, with the sand and cement dust flying off into my eyes... not fun.

Apart from that, I've had a bumblebee collide with my helmet visor - the bang scared the hell out of me! That would have HURT!

Paul (Notts)

posted on 2/4/09 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Driving back from Newerk show last year I got hit in the face ( Helmet on ) by a branch off a tree, blown of by the wind. It was only 2-3 cm thick ( I know because it ended up in the car ) but without the helmet I would have been in trouble.

The roads today seemed covered in gravel and 3 or 4 time I heard a ping as a stone hit the helmet.

If I am going for a spirited drive I always wear a helmet.

Paul

StevieB

posted on 2/4/09 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
You can always wear a pair of motocross goggles or military spec desert goggles.
JimSpencer

posted on 2/4/09 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I would never ever drive a car, with no screen, without a full face helmet.

It comes from knowing two blokes who have had horrific injuries.
First lost an eye following what is thought to be a bumble bee going straight through a pair of sunglasses. The second had to have considerable dental work after a pebble removed most of his front teeth..

A1

posted on 2/4/09 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
yea, it was all cause today i took someone for a wee drive, and wore shades cause they had my helmet, and i got a bollocking...got some dust kicked up and some wee stones, but nothing too bad

crap just read that last one...

[Edited on 2/4/09 by A1]

hobzy

posted on 2/4/09 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
For the commute or a casual drive I wear shades - Oakleys or the new strap type jobbies I just bought. But after getting smacked in the cheekbone by something an inch across off the back tyre of a motorbike on the last Pistonheads run, it'll be lid for me, especially know my Autocom set has turned up.

mediabloke

posted on 2/4/09 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Anything approaching the national speed limit sees me wearing a helmet, tbh.

A helmet wouldn't have made much difference, but I remember the thud that a half-brick made when it flew off the brick truck and hit the front of my tin-top on the motorway. Sorry to be depressive, but plastic gives - flesh & bone don't tend to...

Steve Hignett

posted on 2/4/09 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Got hit in the head with my bonnet when I forgot to put the straps down properly.

It didn't lift and fly back until about 80-90mph and it came back level so it was the sharp (ish) rear edge that hit me square in the head. I WAS wearing my helmet and I am so grateful of it cos I felt it even then, so hell knows what it would of done if I wasn't...

ATB

omega0684

posted on 2/4/09 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
i normally just drive in my oakleys if the weather is nice but i have had dust in my eyes and a collision with a bee on my forehead (frickin hurt). if the air temp is a bit cooler and i know that its going to be chilly then i wear my helmet.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DIY Si

posted on 2/4/09 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
I wear my lid regardless of what I'm doing. The only exception to this is if I'm just being lazy and driving to the village shop, which is about 1/2 mile. It's just not worth the risk, given how loud the pings and bangs are from stones and the mess fly and bees make on the visor.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

cloudy

posted on 2/4/09 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
I'm waiting for my helmet to arrive and drove to SVA with just impact sunglasses, which reinforced my desire to wear a helmet. Only the most sedate drive will see me in glasses only!

James

www.warnercars.com

James

posted on 3/4/09 at 01:12 AM Reply With Quote
You've seen what stones can do to your windscreen! They even regularly punch holes in headlamp glass.

Now try that in your eye!

I've heard of people getting teeth knocked out, and the lump on someone's forehead from a stone looked like half an egg!

Bear in mind being so much lower than a tin top you get far more gravel thrown up at you. I've found I avoid driving in such a way that my head is inline with the car in front's rear wheel... I didn't like the shrapnel!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Danozeman

posted on 3/4/09 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Occasionally I drive with shades on instead of a helmet. The worst thing I've experienced is following an empty builder's lorry, with the sand and cement dust flying off into my eyes... not fun.

I had that on the was back from the diss meet a few weeks ago. Not nice. I dropped right back and it was still getting us so i dropped a couple and overtook it. That was grit from the road.

Plies make hell of a bang off the visor!

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

hughpinder

posted on 3/4/09 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
I remember once driving along and seeing the wheel nut come off a lorry coming towards me - struck the screen exactly in line with my sightline. Amazingly it chipped the screen but didnt crack it (the bang nearly gave me a heart attack though)
Hugh

mad4x4

posted on 3/4/09 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
Drove to my sva with glasses on and got noised up by a Type R on the the way home. Had to give up at about 65 because I couldn;t see due to eyes watering.

Now wear helmet on the open road but do stop and wera glasses in town to Pose

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

bimbleuk

posted on 3/4/09 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
I've done it a couple of times when I wanted to listen for noises. I've had some grit kicked up and even felt particulates from from a diesel sting my face so no I wouldn't recommend it.

I followed a GT40 once too and I lifted my visor to get a better listen. Mistake as I almost choked on the petrol fumes pouring out the quad tail pipes!

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 3/4/09 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
Wear a helmet, period.

My Westy will throw anything straight up into the cockpit, follow a vehicle and you've got grit (at best) and a lot worse. Add insects, people and other drivers throwing things at you, and (heaven forbid) a crash....

On the bike, an insect strike may well be death, so I never ride with the visor up. I wear glasses, its simply isn't enough ti rely on shades. You simply need look at my GSXR's radiator to see how much grit gets in the airand how much damage it does.

iank

posted on 3/4/09 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
I have a stonechip in the tintop windscreen right at eye level.
Nuff said really.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

idl1975

posted on 3/4/09 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Having experienced pigeonstrike at 80mph on my bike a couple of times, let me assure you that you don't want to tit about driving without a helmet if you aren't behind a windscreen. Not even going to mention the stones flung at me (excluding the ones from irate peasants - I just mean the ones from other vehicles).

quote:
Originally posted by A1
im having an argument...help me...please
basically, i know its not fantastic to drive without a helmet, but has anyone ever actually had a bad experience?
ta

[Edited on 3/4/09 by idl1975]

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 3/4/09 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
Likewise, I've had a pidgeon strike, and a stone took a chunk out of my helmet just above the visor.

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

Dangle_kt

posted on 3/4/09 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
having had a bumble bee hit my adams apple and nearly make me gag whilst out on my bike. the blumin thing somehow feel down into my jacket, so a speedy stop was needed in case I got stung!

Not specific to kit cars, but the same thing applies - it would hurt catching it on the forehead or nose!

Dangle_kt

posted on 3/4/09 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
Got hit in the head with my bonnet when I forgot to put the straps down properly.

It didn't lift and fly back until about 80-90mph and it came back level so it was the sharp (ish) rear edge that hit me square in the head. I WAS wearing my helmet and I am so grateful of it cos I felt it even then, so hell knows what it would of done if I wasn't...

ATB

That explains a lot.....

irvined

posted on 3/4/09 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
Last year on the way back from stoneleigh, some muppet didn't fix his bonnet on properly and it came off and wacked me in the head, if i hadnt been wearing my helmet it would have been a lot nastier than just a new pair of underpants.

If your going to be doing any serious driving get a helmet, pottering around in town you can get away with good sun glasses or safety specs.

http://irvined.blogspot.com

Si

posted on 3/4/09 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
So far I have only worn my helmat twice!
despite the odd times into three figures where the pressure gets a bit uncomfortable I have had no problems.
Maybe just lucky but the Westfield Screen may have something to do with it!
However, if I was travelling on a motorway would not consider travelling without a helmet.
If we have a group meeting none of us wear helmets!
Si

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.