Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: How stiff does a 3 wheeler chassis have to be?
smart51

posted on 18/5/10 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
How stiff does a 3 wheeler chassis have to be?

How stiff does a 3 wheeler's chassis have to be? Given that there are only 3 wheels on the road, there is no real torsion applied to the chassis. Am I right in thinking that it only has to resist bending under its own weight and under cornering, plus some crash resistance and roll over resistance?

JC

posted on 18/5/10 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
I'm no expert but I remember reading some time ago that the chap who designed the DRK said otherwise - his argument was that the last thing you wanted to encounter was rear wheel steer caused by chassis flex!!!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 18/5/10 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, it would have to resist cornering forces. I should have been more clear, I'm thinking of torsional stiffness. I can't think of any torsional forces it would have to counter. So long as it didn't sag when you sit in it and it remains straight under cornering, something like a simple ladder chassis or a simple back bone would be more than enough.

boggle

posted on 18/5/10 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
speak to richard oakes at blackjack....

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

BenTyreman

posted on 18/5/10 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
The cornering force acting at the contact patch of the single wheel will introduce a torsion that has to be restrained by the pair of wheels. If the chassis isn't torsionally stiff enough, there will be a lot of lateral movement of the chassis at the end with the single wheel, as the single wheel rolls and unrolls relative to the end with the pair of wheels. I can't imagine this giving a sense of confidence, especially the over-steery feel if the single wheel is at the back.

smart51

posted on 18/5/10 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenTyreman
The cornering force acting at the contact patch of the single wheel will introduce a torsion that has to be restrained by the pair of wheels.

I never thought of that. It makes a lot of sense now you say it.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.