Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Am I missing something?
richard thomas

posted on 7/10/10 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Am I missing something?

Traffic Cops tonight.

Girl gets stopped driving car, lies about identity, insurance etc, sets traffic cop on a goosechase to find out that she is not in fact the 'twin sister' she claims she is that doesn't actually exist....in court fine reduced to £40 and 3 points on her provisional licence which means she shouldn't have been on the road in the first place to incur the offence!!!

Fella gets stopped riding through a red traffic light on his push bike, no lights....argues with police a bit that the fact he is 'being unreasonable' is because his view does not align with theirs....£1000 fine 'as an example' to society. ( Ironically, as the accused is being questioned, a car driving passed with no lights on is stopped and advised of the fact and moved along, the logic to this being that the driver is not at as much risk as the cyclist because he is in a car....carefully avoiding the fact that the car could have done some serious damage to a cyclist with no lights on.....)

Nice to see that the law is being applied consistently across our proud nation.

Not.

[Edited on 7/10/10 by richard thomas]

steve m

posted on 7/10/10 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
I thought it was £700 fine for the guy on the bike

still excessive

richard thomas

posted on 7/10/10 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
I thought it was £700 fine for the guy on the bike

still excessive

Correct, it was £700 plus £250 costs i think....was typing too quick for memory to keep up.....apols.

dinosaurjuice

posted on 7/10/10 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
I know a good few poeple who cycle to work, earning less than £200 a week. how can they justify taking 5 weeks wages (ignoring income tax...)?!?!?!
l0rd

posted on 7/10/10 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
I need to confirm it but my wife told me in Greece, there are hilarious fines that will be enforced.

Smoking whilst driving

£2600

[Edited on 7/10/10 by l0rd]

snapper

posted on 7/10/10 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
I have one word.....
Magistrate

Oh and Real world, that is the real world they know little about.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

steve m

posted on 7/10/10 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
I missed the £250 costs bit!!!

appologies, i was wrong !

still bloody exessive for a push bike fine!!

richard thomas

posted on 7/10/10 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by l0rd
I need to confirm it but my wife told me in Greece, there are hilarious fines that will be enforced.

Smoking whilst driving

£2600

I think that the magistrates must be smoking something.....

steve m

posted on 7/10/10 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
"I need to confirm it but my wife told me in Greece, there are hilarious fines that will be enforced.

Smoking whilst driving

£2600"

I actually agree with that, as its no different to someone eating, or texting/using a phone

Bring it on

nitram38

posted on 7/10/10 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
When I was 19 I had a minor accident. Based on my recent pay due to me being a qualified electrician, I had a £125 fine and 3 points. This was in the early 80's.
I was fully insured and had a well maintained car.
Someone else I know, provisional, no insurance, tax, mot, rear ends a car in traffic.
Because he was unemployed, got a £40 fine and 3 points, plus got to pay it at £1 per week from his giro. I had to pay up straight away.
Can't say that even after all this time that I've got any less pissed off about it!

richard thomas

posted on 7/10/10 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
I honestly think that those with the best means and intentions will get penalised the most, as they are easy targets.
richard thomas

posted on 7/10/10 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
I have one word.....
Magistrate

Oh and Real world, that is the real world they know little about.

Right, whilst I am on my soapbox...does anybody else worry that the vast majority of our governmental leaders have never actually done a 'real' job in their lives, (i.e. receive income from producing something tangible and meaningful) yet feel fully qualified to produce policy which affects the very fabric of the vast majority of Britains' lives on the assumption that they know what they are doing is for the best because their actions are drawn from conclusions based on academic studies and Oxbridge peer influences?

MikeR

posted on 7/10/10 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
having watched the program i think the cyclist got what he deserved....

he was drunk, riding a bike with no lights, reflectors and dark clothing. He ran a red light (but loitered after the line so that he crossed the junction on green). He was asked politely to stop and told the police to go away. The police stated before they pulled him they just wanted to warn him and get him to walk home.

The police got out and started to talk to him and he was a pillock. Eventually the police decided to charge him. He refused his quick fine, gave them grief. He decided to go to court, he had the risk explained. He got what he deserved.

The car with no lights, got stopped, explained the issue and they turned on their lights. They didn't give any grief or hassle. If the biker had gone "ooops, sorry" he'd have been on his way as well. I think this is good policing. Be polite, respect the police and they'll be nice to you when you make a little mistake.

As for the woman ......... she deserved a hell of a lot more punishment than she got

l0rd

posted on 7/10/10 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
"I need to confirm it but my wife told me in Greece, there are hilarious fines that will be enforced.

Smoking whilst driving

£2600"

I actually agree with that, as its no different to someone eating, or texting/using a phone

Bring it on

What the goverment doesn't understand that the situation in Greece cannot change from one day to another. I do not mind changes but the new measures will push the Greek population to the limits.

With everything prety much increasing in value and the basic wages dropping to £500 a month there will be constant Riots.

l0rd

posted on 7/10/10 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
Right, just confirmed the following

You are getting fined £1200-£2600 if you smoke and have chilren in the car under 12 years old.

Fair point then.

UncleFista

posted on 8/10/10 at 01:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I actually agree with that, as its no different to someone eating,

Hmmm, debatable.

quote:
[or texting/using a phone

no...

Where do we draw the line ?
Taking one of your hands off the wheel ? Picking your nose ? I reckon (as an ex-smoker) smoking whilst driving isn't in the same league as holding a phone conversation or texting. Unless you drop it on your lap at 90 on the M6

If it was only based on safety, I reckon the first thing to outlaw is kids in cars, well, maybe just mine

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

Ninehigh

posted on 8/10/10 at 03:48 AM Reply With Quote
All depends on a person's competency, I've managed to open and eat a sandwich, burger, even roll a smoke while driving. However some people can't sit and think without falling over...

alistairolsen

posted on 8/10/10 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately you can't make laws based on competency without some form of qualification. Being a "good driver" wont get you off a speeding charge so you legislate to the lowest common denominator (hence 40 and 50 limits for complete morons who struggle to tie their own shoelaces)

My Build Thread

need4speed

posted on 8/10/10 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
If you drive in London (I now it happens in other places but London seems worse) cyclists seem to think red lights don't apply to them and I'm sure if you hit one it would be the motorist that gets the blame. Police should fine more of them.

Rant over

donny

posted on 8/10/10 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
I cycle to work each day and stop at red lights etc. Last week I got so indignant at a fellow cyclist who crashed a red light that I forgot I was clipped in and fell over. Luckily my left knee protected the bike. Biggest risk to me at the moment is squirrels. Should I try to avoid them?

Anyway - support the views above, esp about respect to the police. Once got stopped - one tail light off. I hit it a smack and it came back on. Off on your way them sir!

MikeRJ

posted on 8/10/10 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR

Agreed, he was not fit to ride a bike and completely failed the attitude test. Some cyclists seem to think they are invulnerable and exempt from all road laws.

adithorp

posted on 8/10/10 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
The difference between the guy on the bike and the one in the car is the guy on the bike went out with his bike knowing it had no lights and still chose to use it. The guy in the car forgot to switch his on.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

nick205

posted on 8/10/10 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR

Agreed, he was not fit to ride a bike and completely failed the attitude test. Some cyclists seem to think they are invulnerable and exempt from all road laws.

Having watched it myself, I have to agree with this sentiment - he behaved like an idiot and got treated accordingly IMHO.

nick205

posted on 8/10/10 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
All depends on a person's competency, I've managed to open and eat a sandwich, burger, even roll a smoke while driving. However some people can't sit and think without falling over...

LOL, how true that is and a shame there's not a apptitude and comeptency based test to allow entry into adulthood.

Dusty

posted on 8/10/10 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
The middle aged cyclist remembered a time when you had rights, there were rules for all without fear or favour (remember that phrase?), you didn't lie and were allowed to disagree with the police.
The young mum driver knew that she could lie, cheat and break the law and get away virtually without risk to herself under 'scrotes rules'.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.