Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which Idle Control Valve?
RazMan

posted on 4/11/10 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Which Idle Control Valve?

Continuing with my TB project I'm now looking for a small remote ICV - ie one with just hose connections so I can simply plumb it into a mini plenum / vacuum box.

Is anything available either new or s/hand?

Another question - Do you think I should bother with an ICV at all as my MBE ECU has other ways to keep the tickover a little higher when cold (advance timing mainly I think)

[Edited on 4-11-10 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
austin man

posted on 4/11/10 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
I think the ford zetec has one (silvertop) sure it has one hose only

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

BenTyreman

posted on 4/11/10 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
What is your fuelling method? If it's Alpha-N (or whatever MBE call Alpha-N), then you might have problems adding air without altering the throttle opening.

What about an actuator that operates on the throttle somehow?

RazMan

posted on 4/11/10 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
If controlling rpm with mainly a TPS and fuel are Alpha-N then I reckon that's what I've got . Its just that the MBE has a dedicated ICV input so I was thinking of using it. I have been running without one for the last 4 years and it can be quite a long warm up during cold weather ..... and changing to ITBs is not going to be any better

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenTyreman

posted on 5/11/10 at 12:23 AM Reply With Quote
Not personal experience, just experience from what I have read where someone had connected an air bypass valve with TPS only fuelling. They noticed significant AFR fluctuations (specifically leaning of mixture) due to unmetered air bypassing the throttle. If I remember correctly, they were used the second fuel table on MS2 to add fuel in the MAP range affected by the idle valve. Of course, if you are in warm-up only mode, not closed-loop idle control, then you might find that the small amount of extra air could be offset by richening the warm-up mixture slightly, if it is even a problem at all.

I have a Vauxhall Ecotec idle valve, which operates by a solenoid pushing on the valve. I was considering removing the solenoid, which is bolted on, and using it to directly push on the throttle in the place of the mechanical idle control. The amount of throttle required to raise the revs to over 2000rpm was only of the order of 1mm. However, through a mixture of increasing the advance from around 10 deg at 800rpm to 20 deg at 600rpm, and the addition of around 6 deg of cold advance at 10 deg C, I never found the idle valve necessary for more than 10 or so seconds.

Incidentally, I found that the throttle bodies I have are fitted with a choke in the vacuum take off points on each barrel. The choke is so small that it doesn't flow enough air to significantly affect the revs.

Dusty

posted on 5/11/10 at 02:22 AM Reply With Quote
I run Omex 600 ECU + Jenveys on the ST170 engine. It has the option of ICV or ignition advance/retard for idle speed control. I use ignition and it's rock steady, freezing or hot. I wouldn't bother for a second thinking about ICV.
RazMan

posted on 5/11/10 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the useful info guys - I think I will have a go at using the ignition timing and keep it simple - mind you, mapping with the MBE is certainly not a simple process

Cheers,
Raz

matt_gsxr

posted on 5/11/10 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
I think there is some information in the megasquirt manuals on ICV's and different versions. I can't find it with a quick google. Sorry.

Fair amount of information here on what cars have what in the way of ICV,

http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/megasquirt_install_writeups.htm

Matt

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.