Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bike carbs
stephen.holdcroft

posted on 29/3/11 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
bike carbs

Hi, any one fitted bike carbs to an A series ( mini) engine and if so what type and what were the results. thanks
snapper

posted on 29/3/11 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Bike carbs work in a similar way to SU's, your problem will be the siamesed inlet ports, i.e. You can only fit 2 carbs.
So a pair of carbs from a twin pot bike with similar port sizes would be a good start.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

stephen.holdcroft

posted on 29/3/11 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
bike carbs

Yes have heard they are similar to the su,s, I was thinking of spliting a set of four and keeping the others for spares. Looking for size of carbs to match 1000cc mini engine, have been told to match horse power not cc, so anything around 600cc on a bike may do. Just wounderred if any of you bright sparks have played around with this.
Mr Whippy

posted on 29/3/11 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
they are a pita to adjust the mixture though. probably better with a downdraft twin weber

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 29/3/11 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
linky

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NigeEss

posted on 29/3/11 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen.holdcroft
Yes have heard they are similar to the su,s, I was thinking of spliting a set of four and keeping the others for spares. Looking for size of carbs to match 1000cc mini engine, have been told to match horse power not cc, so anything around 600cc on a bike may do. Just wounderred if any of you bright sparks have played around with this.

Match power is logical..... BUT.... you are planning on using half the carb set so you need to look at a set of carbs from
a bike producing twice the power.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

jacko

posted on 29/3/11 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Bogg Brothers do it using r1 carbs just the out side 2 carbs i believe
whitestu

posted on 29/3/11 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Carbs from something like a GPZ500 should work quite well. You can pick them up very cheaply so wouldn't be much of a risk if they didn't work out. I think they are about 32mm so equivalent ish to a single Weber 40 DCOE.

Stu

[Edited on 29/3/11 by whitestu]

atspeed racing

posted on 30/3/11 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
Why??
The SU does the job as good as a bike carb. The only reason that bike carbs are being used is that they come complete, bolted together with all the linkage ETC.
If you installed 4 SU's to any engine you will get the same results as a bike carbed set up.
A pair of SU's on a manifold are available any where. They would come with a linkage and balance bar.
If you are wanting to do this to be different OK, but apart from that??????

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
rusty nuts

posted on 30/3/11 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Have you read David Vizards book on tuning the A series? IIRC a single HIF44 on a decent inlet is better than twin carbs ? has the added bonus of not needing to be balanced and only 1 needle to sort out
stephen.holdcroft

posted on 3/4/11 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the information, have just bought the tunning book and will be trying a new manifold first. thanks

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.