Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tesco car insurance - New underwriters
Mr G

posted on 20/5/11 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
Tesco car insurance - New underwriters

Just recieved the renewal on the tintop. Modified Sierra XR4i with bodykit, uprated suspension, uprated brakes, uprated exhaust basically everything declared - TPF&T

Been with tescos (modified) for 8 years on this vehicle with nothing changing over those years, 15+ years NCB, 2000 miles a year and I'm 39.

Stayed around the £220 per year mark for ages which included the interest for monthly payments creeping upto £280 last year.

This year - £1100... Apparently down to their new underwriters.

I think you can imagine my response.

G

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

Dan.

posted on 20/5/11 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
you said "sure can i add my 17 year old son onto the policy too?"
Mr G

posted on 20/5/11 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

eznfrank

posted on 21/5/11 at 06:14 AM Reply With Quote
Try one of the brands that are with the old underwriter - churchill, direct line, privilege etc
matt_gsxr

posted on 21/5/11 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
sadly this isn't an uncommon picture.

The "friendly" supermarkets (Sainsbury, Tesco and M&S) all start with very attractive offerings in the financial segments. This works with their helping/caring/honesty image and they gain decent market shares.

Unfortunately a few years down the line they realise that its easier making money in the financial services industry than it is in shipping carrots/milk/pants and sub out your business to the normal 'greed is good' crowd.

We've had it with M&S for insurance, and Sainsbury for credit card services. I thought that Tescos were better than this, but apparently not.

stevegough

posted on 21/5/11 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Even my SAGA ( wrinklies insurer ) has gone up quite a step this year - it was £144 last year, now £210 (and its only a Daihatsu puddle-jumper). But, its not quite your 400% jump.

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

Pezza

posted on 21/5/11 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
Try Heritage insurance

They dropped my renewel to £115 fully comp, 3k miles on my heavily modified Opel Manta.

You couldn't pwn your way out of a wet paper bag, with "PWN ME!!" written on it, from the "pwned take-away" which originally contained one portion of chicken tikka pwnsala and the obligatory free pwnpadom.

mrwibble

posted on 21/5/11 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
i've always done well with adrian flux. but i always ring round a lot and usually go back twice to flux twice, as their price matching policy can be manipulated.
Mr G

posted on 21/5/11 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info/alternatives gents

britishtrident

posted on 22/5/11 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
going TPF&T can actually increase the premium as it is these days it is seen as a marker of a bad risk.
Mr G

posted on 22/5/11 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
I asked for both fully comp & TPF&T quotes at the time but after she stated that the modifications will add 75% loading and gave me the TPF&T figure first I don't think she had the nerve to give me the fully comp!

Mr G

posted on 3/6/11 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Silly me, the renewal wasn't £1100 - it was £1430!!

Tried flux and heritage but they are expecting the vehicle to be a second car on a classic policy so they can't use the 15 years ncb.

I'm getting figures of £420 - £550 so far

As a side note, how long do you normally get between policys before you lose your no claim discount? Tesco mentioned 2 years for them but couldn't confirm that was standard across the industry :/

G

stevegough

posted on 3/6/11 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr G
Silly me, the renewal wasn't £1100 - it was £1430!!

Tried flux and heritage but they are expecting the vehicle to be a second car on a classic policy so they can't use the 15 years ncb.

I'm getting figures of £420 - £550 so far

As a side note, how long do you normally get between policys before you lose your no claim discount? Tesco mentioned 2 years for them but couldn't confirm that was standard across the industry :/

G

I've heard 2 years and 3 years quoted for this in the past.

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

40inches

posted on 3/6/11 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
Have you done a price comparison with Tesco? I was with Tesco and renewal had gone up 100%, did the comparison on Tesco website
and Swift came out 20% cheaper than LAST years Tesco premium, for better cover

Mr G

posted on 3/6/11 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Does the comparison site allow for modified vehicles?

EDIT: Just gone in via performance direct and its looking better at £265 fully comp - Although I need to ring them yet which has been the downfall of all these quotes so far as they then pull another figure out the bag, usually 4 times as much

Cheers

G

[Edited on 3/6/11 by Mr G]

mrwibble

posted on 3/6/11 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
sure term and green flag also insure modified vehicles, always worth asking if they'll price beat. adrian flux has always / beaten competitors quotes like for like in the past for me, (it has always been their policy so unless that has changed recently, i would ring around and ring them back) although my quotes have always been 20-40£ better and not 100% of the premium so i don[t know if they'd make it awkward asking for written quotes, they never have to me in the past.

[Edited on 3/6/11 by mrwibble]

[Edited on 3/6/11 by mrwibble]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.