Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BBQ advice?
McLannahan

posted on 26/7/11 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
BBQ advice?

Hi - Our current BBQ has rusted through and I'd like another.

I've found a cheap single gas burner on EBay - are these worth doing or stick to a cheap charcoal jobbie?

Never had a gas one - are they as good?

Is gas expensive?

Thanks all

Michael

[Edited on 26/7/11 by McLannahan]

[Edited on 26/7/11 by McLannahan]

joni

posted on 26/7/11 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
no dont do it

by far the food tastes better on charcoal the other gass ones are just like a grill
cs3tcr

posted on 26/7/11 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
I've got both, and both have their merits. The gas one takes no time to get up to temp and is massive, 5 burners. Could roast a small pig on it, plus it can cook with indirect heat. The charcoal one does make the food taste better, but takes ages to get up to temp. And, its small compared to the gas grill, but being small its very portable, so does get taken down to the beach every once and a while.
loggyboy

posted on 26/7/11 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
I prefer gas for the ease and speed. I hate the heating up and prep time for a charcoal bbq.
If you really want to add the tiny amount of taste the charcoal gives then just add a few brickettes to the lava rocks that most gas BBQs have.

loggyboy

posted on 26/7/11 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joni
by far the food tastes better on charcoal the other gass ones are just like a grill

Not at all, its the open flames that give bbq flavour. A grill is just like an oven but more directly convected.

Volvorsport

posted on 26/7/11 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
i made my stainless bbq at work , it uses a 600x400 grill i bought in belgium ....

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

will121

posted on 26/7/11 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
ive got both, but recently gone back to a charcoal one, think it depends on how you generally use them. If after a hot day at work you want to come straight home with burgers in the fridge for a BBQ for tea then maybe a gas one is better, if more organised and generally have a BBQ on a leisurly sunday afternoon then i would go for a real one
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 26/7/11 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
There's no such thing as a gas BBQ, its an outdoor cookers.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
eznfrank

posted on 26/7/11 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Get yourself a Weber kettle bbq, I recently got one on the recommendation of a colleague and it's brilliant, everything tastes juicier and just, well, better!!!
Daddylonglegs

posted on 26/7/11 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Another good way of giving your 'bar-b' food a nice taste is to add some shavings of young wood from an apple tree to the fire. A mate showed me this years ago and it really gives the food a really nice taste. The younger the shoots/wood the sweeter the taste.

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

davestarck

posted on 26/7/11 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Derek Doctors
There's no such thing as a gas BBQ, its an outdoor cookers.

Exactly, may as well cook in the oven

McLannahan

posted on 26/7/11 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone. Seems like the consensus is the old traditional charcoal then!

scootz

posted on 26/7/11 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Agreed... you can really taste the difference with a charcoal BBQ.

The preparation required for a charcoal one also adds to the 'sense of occasion'.

It's Evolution Baby!

McLannahan

posted on 26/7/11 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eznfrank
Get yourself a Weber kettle bbq, I recently got one on the recommendation of a colleague and it's brilliant, everything tastes juicier and just, well, better!!!

Just a quick look and hoof....they're some good money!!

PSpirine

posted on 26/7/11 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
As someone that comes from Cyprus, barbequing is completely different back there, but we're quite obsessed!

First of all, gas BBQ's are fine, but it's not a real BBQ. Having said that, I'd still prefer a gas BBQ to an oven grill when it comes to cooking burgers etc. If a gas barbie means you'll use and enjoy it more, then go for it.

I brought over a "fougou" from Cyprus which is a small charcoal barbecue, with rotating spits to make souvlakia/souvla - best import ever

Just thought I'd chip in and say that the charcoal "briquettes" here in the UK are absolutely rubbish. I'm used to and much prefer charcoal which is just basically lumps of coked wood - you can tell because they actually look like bits of wood with grain etc. They light far better, burn better and give a better taste!

Also another +1 here for applewood chips - amazing difference.

PSpirine

posted on 26/7/11 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Oh, and just to add - to light charcoal quickly isn't very difficult - just use a hairdryer to get the coals burning fast. Can get it up to cooking temperature in a few minutes.
norfolkluego

posted on 26/7/11 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PSpirine
Oh, and just to add - to light charcoal quickly isn't very difficult - just use a hairdryer to get the coals burning fast. Can get it up to cooking temperature in a few minutes.

Bit girly, use a mans tool, WWll flamethrower, you may want to ask the guests to stand back a bit

PSpirine

posted on 26/7/11 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by norfolkluego
quote:

Bit girly, use a mans tool, WWll flamethrower, you may want to ask the guests to stand back a bit

Why bother with charcoal in that case?

Mind you we once cooked a frozen pizza using a heat gun and gas torch whilst locked in a garage building a single seater!

Steve Hignett

posted on 27/7/11 at 05:18 AM Reply With Quote
Pants, I just have TWO words for you;

Keep It Weber...

I'm gonna get a Q200 and a weber kettle when I gain employnent once more...

welderman

posted on 27/7/11 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
Pants ive had my Thermos Grill 2 Go for over 10 years, great for camping and i just leave it set up at home in the back garden under a cover, its the one i take o the kit car shows

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

donny

posted on 27/7/11 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
I too have both. Gas at home - it's quicker, cheaper (gas lasts around 18 months and we use it around 3 - 5 times a week Spring / summer. I understand that the 'taste' comes from the fats etc. in the meat / veg dripping onto the heat and vapourising. I don't have the patience to deal with charcoal then disposing of it without the risk of setting the wheelie bin on fire.

When we go the beach we bring a small portable Weber - it's fantastic. A chap in the village gave me a tip of having the charcoal higher at one end - to have mixed temperatures for different food; this means less 'crispy' sausages.

I think for ease at use the gas is preferrable for us. IMHO of course.

Donny

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 27/7/11 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Using a 'gas BBQ' (outdoor cooker) is like someone on here saying:

"Well I was going to build a Locost 7, but it was too much effort so I just bought a Sierra and put some '7' badges on it, now its a Locost 7"

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Neville Jones

posted on 27/7/11 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
Original aussie 'real man's' bbq's were a disc off a disc harrow, supported on a couple of rocks with a fire underneath. A bit of gumtree for firewood and the leaves for flavour. Fantastic. And the fat drained down the centre hole and kept the fire going. They stay hot for hours. Everythings all manufactured and poofie these days!

Cheers,
Nev.

James

posted on 27/7/11 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
Another good way of giving your 'bar-b' food a nice taste is to add some shavings of young wood from an apple tree to the fire. A mate showed me this years ago and it really gives the food a really nice taste. The younger the shoots/wood the sweeter the taste.

Goodness me, whatever next???

This is Locostbuilders, a site for car nuts and petrol heads! You should be suggesting petrol or 2-stroke for flavour!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

norfolkluego

posted on 27/7/11 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by norfolkluego
quote:

Why bother with charcoal in that case?

Mind you we once cooked a frozen pizza using a heat gun and gas torch whilst locked in a garage building a single seater!

I would expect nothing less, that is the Locost way

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.