Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Watchdog now -DVLA
rb968

posted on 29/9/11 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Watchdog now -DVLA

Watchdog now Bbc1

Trail mentions motorists driven round the bend by the DVLA.......I might watch!

Rich

watsonpj

posted on 29/9/11 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Surely the sensible thing ,but the one they won't do as there is no revenue, is to say if we don't see a tax renewal or sorn we will assume it sorn. We will send a letter and give x days grace let's say 10 and you need to renew on line or at a post office. If you don't do it in the grace period then your get caught by the cameras/police.
Ninehigh

posted on 29/9/11 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
No access to TV, what have they done now?

rb968

posted on 29/9/11 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Basically it was about them issuing 750,000 £80 fixed penalties to people who failed to sorn/tax. Many claiming they posted the sorn but if you do not chase them when you don't receive an acknowledgment it's your fault and pay up.

A court judgement last year indicated they had no statutory power to tell drivers they must chase up acknowledgements but the DVLa say they have bot changed their rules or procedures.

Oh and that the appeal process is overseen by the DVLA themselves and only 9 cases have been referred to the independent assessor in 12 months.

DVLA man said just do it on line.

Rich

Ninehigh

posted on 29/9/11 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Good luck fining me because you haven't done your job

It's against my religion to chase them up, unless they owe me money of course

Dan.

posted on 29/9/11 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Was about to post about this....

Having watched watchdog tonight it prompted me of my hatred of the SORN declaration (after it costing me £80 a few years back when they claim they did not receive my form...) I disputed the claim and surprise surprise I lost....

The DVLA SORN declaration, what exactly is the point of this declaration? surely it would be logical to take the fact I have not taxed my vehicle that it is off the road, as used to happen before this pointless bureaucracy was bought in.

If the vehicle is not found to be on the road then there is no issue.
If the car is found on the road whilst untaxed / uninsured then I am breaking the law and can be prosecuted anyway.

In my eyes all the SORN declaration does is cost millions in administration costs and cause thousands of customers misery due to errors / losses by the DVLA.

Here is a cost saving idea, scrap the SORN declaration saving millions in administration costs, use the money saved to invest in ANPR cameras to catch and prosecute those drivers on the road illegally without Tax, MOT or Insurance. This would make the roads safer, save money and keep law abiding motorists happy!

Surely this is logical???

if you agree there is a petition here currenty upto 66 signatures only 99,934 to go... feel free to sign and pass on
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/1699

[Edited on 29/9/11 by Dan.]

Chippy

posted on 29/9/11 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

if you agree there is a petition here currenty upto 66 signatures only 99,934 to go... feel free to sign and pass on
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/1699
[Edited on 29/9/11 by Dan.]

Done.

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

Dan.

posted on 29/9/11 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
thanks

No doubt nothing would get done but it would be nice to het upto 100,000 signatures so it gets debated in the house of commons.

Ninehigh

posted on 29/9/11 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Actually that's a good idea, done.

I'd rather have those cameras in every police car than at fixed (and avoidable) points though

Dan.

posted on 29/9/11 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh

I'd rather have those cameras in every police car than at fixed (and avoidable) points though

A good idea... you wouldnt think i work for the government would you

Agreed mobile ANPR is where its at

Ninehigh

posted on 29/9/11 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dan.
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh

A good idea... you wouldnt think i work for the government would you

Agreed mobile ANPR is where its at

Ah, can I rescind my signature?

Agriv8

posted on 30/9/11 at 06:32 AM Reply With Quote
read between the lines.

Sorn via post or postoffice cost them more money Sorn by tiniternet costs less ( complete online process ).

Gov has just cut the DVLA budget by 20% but you keep a cut of the fines you issue.

now i am not saying the above statements are linked BUT ....

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

clairetoo

posted on 3/10/11 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Heres a twist to this one....................

For some reason they didnt send me a reminder when my tax ran out last year on my tin-top - where I park I virtually never walk past the front of my car , and was four months before I noticed........no reminder , no fine , never got spotted by any cameras ? ? ?
As soon as I was aware of the lack of tax , I dashed straight into the house and taxed it on-line (got the warning that I may be fined since there was a gap between tax running out and renewing....)

Fast forward eight months..............and its happened again Tax ran out end of August , MOT (I had to dig out the cert. to check) in May - and I've been driving around totally unaware again

The car was written off way back in February last year - has it now become invisible to the system ? Bare in mind that I have taxed it on-line since the write-off ?

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.