Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Driving Reqs in France
r1_pete

posted on 2/3/12 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Driving Reqs in France

I'm going to Dunkerque in France 12th March on business, and planning on taking the tunnel and driving myself about.

I know there are requirements, Triangle, hi vis jacket, bulbs ++++, and have checked websites but as usual got varying results, what is the minimum I need? I know there are folk on here from France and who have experience driving in France, so practical advise welcome.

Cheers.

Pete.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dhutch

posted on 2/3/12 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
I'm going to Dunkerque in France 12th March on business, and planning on taking the tunnel and driving myself about.

I know there are requirements, Triangle, hi vis jacket, bulbs ++++, and have checked websites but as usual got varying results, what is the minimum I need? I know there are folk on here from France and who have experience driving in France, so practical advise welcome.

Cheers.

Pete.

Neer been pulled so ive not tested it, but i carry.
-Documentation
-High viz, reachable from inside car.
-Triangle
-Spare bulbs and fuses
-Small 'travel' first aid kit
-Fire extinisher (carry anyway)
-Headlight correctors somtimes

[Edited on 2/3/2012 by dhutch]

bartonp

posted on 2/3/12 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
...and breathalyser kit now!
aka Keith

posted on 2/3/12 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
I was led to believe that the breathalyser was not a requierment at the moment, but they were planning to bring it in. July 1st if i recollect correctly.

Cheers
Craig

designer

posted on 2/3/12 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Over here:

Full documentation
High viz jacket (At least one has to be reachable from inside car, rest can be in boot, or anywhere)
Triangle, spare bulbs and fuses
Headlight correctors are not a legal requirement for short term visit (and I ran for 18 months without). The law says you must not dazzle oncoming cars.
Fire extinguisher

Tip.
If you get pulled, don't argue.
If you want to do your headlights, don't waste money on the 'off the shelf', expensive stickers, just cover the main beam part of the lens with tape.

Breathalyzer comes in later in year.

If in Dunkerque and you have a free afternoon go here:

http://www.lacoupole-france.com/

It's only 45minutes away, near St Omer.

Enjoy:

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
r1_pete

posted on 2/3/12 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
OK Thanks all,

I'm ok on bulbs and fuses, borrowed a hi vis off the fire wardens, and hoping my Daughters Citroen has a triangle I can nab, and I'll put the workshop fire extinguisher in the back.

edsco

posted on 2/3/12 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
First aid kit..........

edsco

dhutch

posted on 2/3/12 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
If you want to do your headlights, don't waste money on the 'off the shelf', expensive stickers, just cover the main beam part of the lens with tape.

Yeah, i got a pair of euro-lites ones and although no expensive, soo a right age to remove the residue from the headlamps. Was only over for a long weekend but as doing about 8 hours driving at night thought it was curtious, maybe not nexttime!

Daniel

edsco

posted on 2/3/12 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
..........oh, and 90 Euros for every time you get stopped for speeding!

edsco

designer

posted on 2/3/12 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

..........oh, and 90 Euros for every time you get stopped for speeding!

And it goes up the more you argue!!

steve m

posted on 2/3/12 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
and the faster you are speeding
James

posted on 2/3/12 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Mate got done on his way to LeMans doing ~130mph on his motorbike.

Marched to the cash machine... 750Euro fine!!! Hand cash over to copper- thank you very much! Now, how much of that disappears??? Policeman's benefit scheme?

They also took his licence and it took 4/5 months to get it back.

But France also had/has a ridiculously high death rate (according to radio 4 today) so they're trying to clamp down I guess.

James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

iank

posted on 2/3/12 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
I've been told you should really have a hi-viz vest for everyone in the car. Don't make the mistake of getting out of the car without putting it on first (if pulled)

Didn't know about the breathalyser, and am planning on going in August.

[Edited on 2/3/12 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

ruskino80

posted on 2/3/12 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
crikey,i drove to lemans in 97 and 98 and took nothing at all. young and dumb i guess.
iank

posted on 2/3/12 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ruskino80
crikey,i drove to lemans in 97 and 98 and took nothing at all. young and dumb i guess.

Most of the rules are a lot newer than 14 years (and they seem to add more junk to carry around every few years)

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

whitestu

posted on 2/3/12 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
I got stopped for speeding in '92 and they didn't have a clue. Just got told off. I guess things have changes
vinny1275

posted on 2/3/12 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure I remember seeing a report a while back saying they were going to ban Satnavs with scamera warnings (not sure if that went through, as what did they plan to do about cars with built-in satnavs). It's been illegal to use radar camera detectors there for some years.

When the news about breathalysers came out, the question was asked on Pistonheads whether any French motorists bother with this stuff, or whether it's just revenue generation from UK drivers.....

Ninehigh

posted on 2/3/12 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I wouldn't bother with the breathalyser, as I don't drink...

In fact I think we've only ever bothered with the headlamp correctors, and didn't last time cos we just didn't drive at night

matt_gsxr

posted on 2/3/12 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
I think that you still also need a GB sticker. Unless your numberplate has the appropriate markings. I doubt you will get stopped though.

Regarding headlamp correction. I carry black insulating tape and make it up on the ferry sticking on a wedge like the other cars have. I've been doing this for the last 25 years and it seems to work. No problems seeing the road and don't get flashed are my success criteria.

James

posted on 7/3/12 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
Personally I wouldn't bother with the breathalyser, as I don't drink...

In fact I think we've only ever bothered with the headlamp correctors, and didn't last time cos we just didn't drive at night

According to radio 4 this week, you have to carry it, regardless of whether you drink!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Ninehigh

posted on 7/3/12 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
I can understand it, just a bit odd.. I mean are they asking you to check for yourself or having you carry the breathalyser for them?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.