Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Megasquirt settings
Nitrogeno25

posted on 28/9/12 at 02:10 AM Reply With Quote
Megasquirt settings

I started my engine yesterday with a MS2 (extra) with EDIS. The engine is duratec 2.0 with jenvey 45s. It was easy to start the engine but I need to tweak the cold start. The engine starts from cold (I have no fast idle valve) and idle at 600-650rpm. If I let it warm up no problem ad idles at 900rpm. The thing is I can't touch the throttle when cold because the engine stalls. No problemwhe it's warm.

I read that when starting MS uses the cranking pulse width, then after start enrichment and later the VE table, but what happens if I crank the engine with the thrttle open? it should compensate the extra air with extra fuel..

thank you very much!

big-vee-twin

posted on 28/9/12 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
You have to set cold idle quite high with throttle bodies, my Duratec Idles at around 1100rpm when cold and drops to around 900 when warm, this is set by the adjusting screws on the throttle bodies.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

matt_gsxr

posted on 28/9/12 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Hi there,

I guess you have two points here:

Regarding the first. I guess the problem is that when cold you only just have enough fuel to keep it happy, then when you add more air it all goes wrong. Why not increase the amount of warm-up enrichment?
Alternatively you already have too much warm-up enrichment, and you map is giving you too much fuel for small throttle openings and so you are giving it too much fuel.

For some reason I suspect the former condition. Either look at the AFR (if you have a wideband or narrowband sensor), or just try adding fuel and see if that makes it better or worse.

On the second point:
When cranking the amount of fuel does NOT depend on the throttle position or the MAP. It does depend on the temperature.

If you haven't got an AFR sensor, then I would suggest getting one. It takes away all the mystery (which is a good thing).

Matt

Nitrogeno25

posted on 2/10/12 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, I have a LC-1 and it seems it's getting lean with some throttle. I can only do one test each day

As for the idle speed, I don't have idle control (fidle valve) so can control much. It's idlling at 650-700 when cold and 1000 when hot. I think I will let it there for now.

As for the LC-1 I saw that the update in tunerstudio is very slow comparing with the gauge. When going on the throttle I can saw lean spikes on the gauge but tunerstudio show this slowly and like half a second later, is that normal?

Thanks again!

baz-R

posted on 2/10/12 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
there is a setting somewhere where you can adjust the refresh rate (the frequency) of how often the megersquirt views various sensors to stop readings moving all over the place and stay as consent as possible (damped)

i don't really think you need to worry about this too much just run of your gauge

matt_gsxr

posted on 2/10/12 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
I have LC-1 and get instant changes to AFR in the tunerstudio logs.
LC-1 can provide data at different rates along the analogue output line.
Not sure what the default is, but sounds like you have some smoothing set.

Once this is sorted then I am sure we can sort you out if you upload a data log and your map (msl and msq)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.