Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Large Workshop Heater
Dan.

posted on 1/1/13 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Large Workshop Heater

Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience heating a large workshop? My workshop is around 1000 square feet at a guess and the roof is around 18 feet high, obviously it gets a little chilly in the cold and is somewhat difficult / expensive to heat. I can obtain fire wood at a very resonable cost is it worth building a log burner (from a gas bottle etc) to attempt to take the chill off the place or would it not be man enough for the job? Unfortunatly the building is not insulated and I do not own is so investing in its insulation is not really something i want to do.

HowardB

posted on 1/1/13 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
We did a good insulation job on a similar sized work shop using bubble wrap, a layer over the windows, and also a layer suspended across the roof space to make a false ceiling, seemed to help a lot. NOT ideal if you're welding or using the angry grinder!!

HNY

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

designer

posted on 1/1/13 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
If the roof is 18 feet high you need to build a shed in your workshop.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 1/1/13 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same issues, 1000sqft unit in the soggy SW, same high ceiling.

What didn't work was a propane heater, either the fan driven space heaters nor the infra-red static type. While providing heat, they simply pumped water laden warm air onto cold surfaces. The SW was wet enough, without all thye damp induced by this.

I ended up with infra red electric heaters around the walls, I guess about 10 feet high or so. Felt like the tropics, the electricity bill was frightening, but it was lovely. Really lovely. I added a couple of 1000W halogen floodlights too, just above the main work area. With the roller shutter open, probably visible from space.

Thing is, everything's relative. Domestically, I had a choice of electricity, oil or LPG (no piped gas). It didn't cost anymore to heat the house than it did the industrial unit.

Talon Motorsport

posted on 1/1/13 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
buy a thermal/quilted boiler suit £35 wear another pair of socks and buy some of those thin mechanics gloves.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Phil.J

posted on 2/1/13 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Talon Motorsport
buy a thermal/quilted boiler suit £35 wear another pair of socks and buy some of those thin mechanics gloves.

This is what I do now. Add a snood and a wooly hat when extremely cold. Haven't used the space heater for 3 years now but I keep really warm all winter. I hate cold weather so if it works for me it will work for anyone!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.