Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Moving a large mill.....
franky

posted on 4/2/13 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Moving a large mill.....

Hi all.

I've finally been to see a bridgeport mill that i'm happy with(ex brabham f1), however the dilemma i've got is how to move it in my garage.

It'll arrive on a pallet, however its going to go in a corner so;

A: how would I get it off a pallet in my garage if its going into a corner?

B: Is this the best way to move it in my garage?

C: Would I be better trying to roll it on a pallet truck then working out a way to get it off that

D: Get some scaffold tube and roll it on that into position?

I can't for the life of me think what is the best option... I do have a car engine crane in the garage but it's only for upto 500kg.

trextr7monkey

posted on 4/2/13 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Engine crane /slide off pallet then move on broomstick/1" dowel rollers, Stonehenge style, we have moved lods of heavy stuff like that over the years.
good luck
atb
Mikie

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

mcerd1

posted on 4/2/13 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky

yes - rollers are the answer

we've moved in one big lathe (3+ ton ), one small lathe (only 1.2 ton ) and a bridgeport s2

the folklift could only just get the bridgeport in the door (roofs too low) so we rollered it the rest of the way
the forklift couldn't lift the lathes at all, so they were rollered down the trailer ramp and into the workshop

scaffold tube is good, so are wooden rollers up to ~3" dia.
(wooden rollers get a bit more grip, but scaff tube should be fine on flat ground)

just make sure you've got plenty of rollers (probably half as many again as you think you'll need) and a couple of strong bodies to help and take it slow and steady

[Edited on 4/2/2013 by mcerd1]

-

Agriv8

posted on 4/2/13 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
Rollers ( solid bar if it is really heavy )

I would add if its top heavy remove as much top end weight as possible and especially anything that is critical ie bed.

if you are going down hill use strops and put a check trap on ( rathcet strap to somthing that wont move just in case it runs away ) as many bodies behind restraining with ropes to keep the majority safe ( and thus the ones in charge of the rollers an easier exit ).

A very few large crowbars are an essential .

ATB Agriv8

[Edited on 4/2/13 by Agriv8]

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

hughpinder

posted on 4/2/13 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
If your floor is concrete and you use steel rollers, be aware that you may damage the surface - lay some card (not courugated) down first. last time I had to move something like that I got the pallet placed onto a couple of lengths of 6"*1/4 steel flat and just levered it across with a 5 ft crowbar about 1" at a time(my floor is old bricks so not smooth enough for rollers anyway.
If you are rolling into a corner, work out how tou are getting the rollers out at the end too!
Regards
Hugh

franky

posted on 4/2/13 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:
Originally posted by franky

yes - rollers are the answer

we've moved in one big lathe (3+ ton ), one small lathe (only 1.2 ton ) and a bridgeport s2

the folklift could only just get the bridgeport in the door (roofs too low) so we rollered it the rest of the way
the forklift couldn't lift the lathes at all, so they were rollered down the trailer ramp and into the workshop

scaffold tube is good, so are wooden rollers up to ~3" dia.
(wooden rollers get a bit more grip, but scaff tube should be fine on flat ground)

just make sure you've got plenty of rollers (probably half as many again as you think you'll need) and a couple of strong bodies to help and take it slow and steady

[Edited on 4/2/2013 by mcerd1]

so a pack of 10 broom handles for £10 off ebay?

fullpint

posted on 4/2/13 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Years ago we moved a mill in my old place of work
We used thick wall section tube to roll the mill along.
WATCH OUT THO; Mills can be top heavy..
The mill we moved ended up coming off the rollers and started to tilt. Lucky for my mate when it tilted over the bed of another machine in the workshop stop it from crushing him..
Just take care mate and its worth having at least 3 people to give you a hand..
Get the table down as low as you can along with the head to reduce the centre of gravity..

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.