Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Will Granada 2.4 MK3 type 9 fit 2.8 MK2
grifter

posted on 28/7/14 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Will Granada 2.4 MK3 type 9 fit 2.8 MK2

HI All

Just joined here so hello there!

I am looking for some information as to the transfer of a gearbox from a MK3 granada to a late version 2.8 MK2 granada. I've checked all advice on the difference between the type for ohc and V6 and this gearbox does seem to check out as a box for a V6 - I know sellers can get confused and say it will fit any rear drive ford but this box is out of a 2.4 MK3.

I had heard that the manual box for the 2.3 V6 had ratios more closely associated to the 2.0 box and wouldn't suit the 2.8 so firstly was wondering if the box for 2.4 was the same ratios as the 2.3 or was it from the 2.8 or different all together (seeing as it's ford!).

The box has the shaft protruding from the bellhousing, if you look at it side on, so that was main check from pictures I got; I also used to work on sierras so basically recognise the type 9 box as well but obviously intricate differences I need numbers, details, advice etc. The seller is a distance away so only have pics at the moment.

I asked seller to count the input shaft teeth and the number of teeth is 23, according to the link below this doesn't match the 2.8:

http://www.type9gearbox.co.uk/type-9-variations.html

The 2.8 MK2 box should have 18 teeth (2.3) or 19 teeth (2.8) according to this link.

I also have pics of the box numbers (will attach pics later when I get home) and wonder if anyone can ID any further info from these as to the box's application and design.

I realise I said it was from a 2.4 MK3 and the seller specifically said this but knowing ford they probably changed the box a few times from one suitable to an older V6 to one that won't fit, and wonder if numbers can be used to ID this!

If anyone can shed any light if I could fit this easily enough to the 2.8, and what I would need to change or source such as flywheel/clutch for 2.4, different prop or does prop from any manual grannie fit etc.

Many thanks for any help and advice.

G

robinj66

posted on 28/7/14 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
According to the Haynes Book of Lies the T9 ratios for 2.4 were :

3.650 (1), 1.970 (2), 1.370 (3), 1.000 (4), 0.816 (5) & 3.660 (R)

The ratios for 2.8/2.9 were :
3.360 , 1.810 , 1.260 , 1.000 , 0.825 & 3.365 (R).

That link is a little confusing with ref to the input shaft teeth - it confirms what I know in that the V6 T9 gearbox had 23 teeth on the input shaft for the Capri. This should make very little difference to fitment in any event - you would just have to choose your clutch driven plate to match.

I can't definitively confirm that the bell housing for the 2.4 would fit the 2.8 but I think there is a good chance that it would - Ford were never likely to change the tooling when they changed engine specs (especially on the same range). Even if the 2.4 bell housing doesn't fit the 2.8, it's detachable on the T9.

HTH

robinj66

posted on 28/7/14 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry - double post

[Edited on 28/7/14 by robinj66]

grifter

posted on 28/7/14 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robinj66
According to the Haynes Book of Lies the T9 ratios for 2.4 were :

3.650 (1), 1.970 (2), 1.370 (3), 1.000 (4), 0.816 (5) & 3.660 (R)

The ratios for 2.8/2.9 were :
3.360 , 1.810 , 1.260 , 1.000 , 0.825 & 3.365 (R).

That link is a little confusing with ref to the input shaft teeth - it confirms what I know in that the V6 T9 gearbox had 23 teeth on the input shaft for the Capri. This should make very little difference to fitment in any event - you would just have to choose your clutch driven plate to match.

I can't definitively confirm that the bell housing for the 2.4 would fit the 2.8 but I think there is a good chance that it would - Ford were never likely to change the tooling when they changed engine specs (especially on the same range). Even if the 2.4 bell housing doesn't fit the 2.8, it's detachable on the T9.

HTH

Many thanks for reply. That double confirms that even if there was a difference in bell housing, which as you say is very unlikely and I agree, then it can be changed to suit easily enough.

G

snapper

posted on 29/7/14 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote

[Edited on 29/7/14 by snapper]

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

mcerd1

posted on 29/7/14 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robinj66
That link is a little confusing with ref to the input shaft teeth - it confirms what I know in that the V6 T9 gearbox had 23 teeth on the input shaft for the Capri.

I think your getting mixed up with the difference between 'teeth' and 'splines'

all type 9 boxes have a 1" diameter input shaft with 23 splines (as per the link above, burtons and every other bit of info I've found)

the only difference in fitment is the long or short input shafts - the cologne V6 bellhousing is designed to work with the long ones (so short ones won't work with the V6 bellhousings)

the number of 'teeth' listed in the link is in reference to the gear inside the box - so obviously this affects the ratios, but not the fitment

-

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/7/14 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
yeah I made the mistake years ago if fitting a type 9 with a short output shaft on to my 2.8, serious clutch vibration is an understatement! number of splines is the same though and the clutch, spring plate & thrust bearing are identical on both units.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
grifter

posted on 29/7/14 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Luckily managed to source a 2.8 capri box so that should make things a lot easier. Just hoping now the pedal box and prop are easy enough to come by

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.