Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Goodwood Noise Limits
OliilO

posted on 22/12/14 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Goodwood Noise Limits

Has anyone had any experience of running a BEC on a Goodwood trackday? I seem to recall hearing from various people (Mark Chandler?) that the drive by noise limit can be an issue.

I'm contemplating booking a day for next year but would like to work out if I'll be under the noise limits first. My car will comfortably be under 100dB static as measured at a number of MSE days (usually around 96dB), but I haven't been anywhere with driveby monitoring yet. So, from others experiences, what is the likelihood of passing either a 'quiet' (96dB drive by) or a 'noisy' (101dB drive by) day? Clearly the usual caveat that everyone's car is different, weather conditions etc. are accepted, just trying to get a rough gauge...

jeffw

posted on 22/12/14 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
A BEC will struggle, simple as that. Noise meters are on the outside of the circuit at Madgewick, exit of St Mary's and the inside on the exit of the Chicane.

mark chandler

posted on 22/12/14 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
I never got as far as the driveby, induction noise killed me off on the static so now the exhaust exits out the back not the side

At £400 entry it was an expensive day, luckily I towed with an XK8 so we used that instead.

jeffw

posted on 22/12/14 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
I sprint at Goodwood but I would never think to do a trackday...noise limit is so low.

OliilO

posted on 22/12/14 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
As far as I can see from the Goodwood calendar, the sprint events are a Cat 2 event with the (105dB static, 101 drive by) higher limit. There seem to be a number of trackdays that fall under this category. Whether it would be enough though...
adithorp

posted on 22/12/14 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
I sprint at Goodwood but I would never think to do a trackday...noise limit is so low.

Didn't you get chucked out for noise even on a sprint there, Jeff?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

bowood14

posted on 22/12/14 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Just a warning another place with stringent noise control is Bedford Autodrome , I know by the black flag I was shown, I run a BEC zx9r with the exhaust on the nearside:
mark chandler

posted on 22/12/14 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
Bedford is indeed tight as well, my car just gets through there with an extra muffler so you need to be prepared.

What I should have added with Goodwood, they only allow a limited number of cars on track so you spend a fair amount of time queuing then get a few laps before being pulled off, I think it was around 5 laps when I went.

It is a good experience, however £ per minute is pretty poor IMHO, better off at brands with the hills.

adithorp

posted on 22/12/14 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Bedford is indeed tight as well, my car just gets through there with an extra muffler so you need to be prepared.

What I should have added with Goodwood, they only allow a limited number of cars on track so you spend a fair amount of time queuing then get a few laps before being pulled off, I think it was around 5 laps when I went.

It is a good experience, however £ per minute is pretty poor IMHO, better off at brands with the hills.

Aren't the noisy days even fewer cars as well.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Dopdog

posted on 23/12/14 at 05:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:

I think at some point we have all fallen foul of the dreaded noise meters at goodwood

jeffw

posted on 23/12/14 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:

I did, I ended up fitting another silencer out the back of the car for this very reason. Side exit exhausts will tend to pass the static but fail the drive by.

OliilO

posted on 23/12/14 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Thinking that I might need to rethink this plan then. I have the opportunity, through my father, to get involved with a marque specific club's day there that would be quite appealing cost wise.

As an aside, what's Snetterton like with regard to drive by limits?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.