Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Green Lanes
tony9876

posted on 16/2/05 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Green Lanes

Having know sold my car i am now inbetween projects so have got myself a drz400. I live near Warrington and have no idea of any localish green lanes as they seem to be a well kept secret. I have looked through some os maps but could only find 2 1km long tracks.Does anyone know of any or a site i can get some info.Thanks.
Tony

Dave Ashurst

posted on 16/2/05 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Not specific to an area, but any use?

http://www.wyeandwelshlrc.co.uk/what2do.html

theconrodkid

posted on 16/2/05 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
i used to do green laning in my landrover daze,get an OS map or find a club and tag along with them,great fun

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

simonH

posted on 17/2/05 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
Glass

Try these guys Green Lane Association

and this site

Way Finder

[Edited on 17/2/05 by simonH]

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.

tony9876

posted on 17/2/05 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the help. Tried wayfinder but you need to be a member of them and it costs £27. Everywhere I look I am getting told to get out and use the green lanes or they will be shut off but they guard their wherabouts
phelpsa

posted on 17/2/05 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Shows that there is a green lane a couple of miles down the road from us. We'll have to check that out!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 17/2/05 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
Proper green laning.

O.K. if you are following the code but there are a lot of idiots who forget that there are other users, pedestrian and the like, and churn up the surface of trails or try to see how fast they can go in totally unsuitable circumstances. If you are serious about green laning £27 is only just over 50p a week over a year, a small price to pay if you find the hobby to your liking.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

nick baker

posted on 17/2/05 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Have to agree. Being a member of GLASS really pays off.

Used to go green laning in my Scamp (no laughter please) with the SOC. we went ALL over wales... and always went DOWNHILL. and always did our very best not to churn the place up.

An occasionally..... we'd come accross a bunch of eejits in super-knobbly V8 landies, hareing up the lanes faster than thier guardian angels could fly.

Become a member of GLASS, and read the rules. (and then remember them)... dammit. I'm starting to sound OLD!!!

tony9876

posted on 17/2/05 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
I wont be speeding anywhere as i dont fancy smashing my leg in again on a bike. I just want to know of some decent lengths of track that will take me away from the city. I dhavent got the time to go to meets and join clubs just fancy the odd sunday out. People seem to guard there locations like gold. I refuse to pay £27 for some information just like i wouldnt charge someone to tell them the benefits of what type of car to build etc
Peteff

posted on 17/2/05 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
I know...

Some of us actually still walk , and trying to get past the ruts churned up by these is no joke. No wonder the pubs have "No Walking Boots" signs on the door. I don't mind drinking in my stockinged feet, though it might upset those stood next to me.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

nick baker

posted on 18/2/05 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
Tony: I only know the ones in Wales... and I'd happily tell you where they were, but all my maps are in the UK.

Ruts: Scamps (as you all probably know) are mini-based: Ruts were avoided like the plauge )

wilkingj

posted on 18/2/05 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
Visit the council Rights Of Way office at your local council offices and ask to see the "Definitive Maps" for the area, Take your map, and mark up the LEGAL Byways (I use yellow highlighting pen). Then check with the RoW officers that there are no Traffic Regulation Orders or date / winter restrictions (TRO) on the marked ones. Or you can get to a lane only to find a Oct to May Closure ban and a locked gate!
Then you can drive the legal ones knowing you are on the right side of the law. Be nice and friendly, as it pays dividends, ie dont go in there all guns blazing, demanding your "right to drive" etc etc. My local lot are more than helpful.

Also best to ring first, as the maps may not be in that office etc..

I slow down or even stop when on lanes for pedestrians, and especially horses... Open the window, and give them the time of day.. be nice... It helps, and there are so many pratts driving these lanes carving them up, and being righteous to the other local users... it just gives the Anti's more ammunition, and gets more lanes closed off.

If it looks carved up then dont drive it, find another lane, and let that one recover a bit.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.