Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto Head Problems
RI8CHP

posted on 3/10/05 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto Head Problems

pinto head problems

evening chaps

started to strip the engine over the weekend and undoing the head bolts no problem untill the last 1!!!!!!!

my extension bar decided it would snap not a problem as a trip to halfords would sort it (lifetime waranty) just tryed it again and snap clean off, now the head of the bolt is starting to round off T55 Head

any ideas

Avoneer

posted on 3/10/05 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
At this point, it might be worth welding your t55 bit to the bolt and using a bigger bar.

Just a thought,

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Avoneer

posted on 3/10/05 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Actually, before that, bolt back up a couple of the other bolts in case the head is on an ever so slight angle making it hard to remove the stubborn bolt.

Cheers,

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Messenjah

posted on 3/10/05 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
already been said is to weld the socket to the bolt so that it wont round it and then slip a handy 5 foot length of scaffold pole over your bar gives alot more leverage and wont break very easily i mean real scaffold pole btw not the alu stuff
nick205

posted on 3/10/05 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Alternatively you could try an impact driver/wrench which might break it free. I'm not sure how easily you could weld the bit into the bolt head as access is fairly limited if I remember.

HTH
Nick

rusty nuts

posted on 3/10/05 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
The correct way of releasing cylinder head bolts
is to crack each bolt before actually undoing them , always start from the outside and work inwards (the opposite order to torqueing them up) Try putting the other bolts in tightly then attempt to undo problem bolt. May be possible to drill off head bolt as a last resort with other bolts removed it will be possible to lift head off and remove remains of bolt.

RI8CHP

posted on 3/10/05 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
thanks lads i will try again 2mro i all else fails i will drill the head off the bolt and lift the head over it as a last resort though

cheers

leon

Ben_Copeland

posted on 4/10/05 at 05:20 AM Reply With Quote
You'll run the risk of warping the head if you dont crack all the head bolts first, undoing them in the correct sequence.

In fact if one bolts gone that tight I'd have the head checked, cos thats a lot of stress on one point... NOT the way to remove a head

[Edited on 4/10/05 by Ben_Copeland]

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

RI8CHP

posted on 4/10/05 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
ben

i relise this is the inncorrect way to remove the head! i cracked each bolt first in the coorect sequence but this little bleader wont budge!!!!!!

DarrenW

posted on 4/10/05 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
I wouldnt worry about the loosening sequence if youve never had head off before. It will most probs be in desperate need of rebuild anyway so will benefit from a skim.

My head was in a dreadful state and the old cam was well worn. I quick read of Des Hammils book soon had me reaching for the die grinder. A few nights later it was ported. Local machine shop re did the guides, lapped in all the valves etc and skimmed 40 thou off the bottom. I then fitted new seals, rockers, springs, FR32 cam and spray bar and its like a new one now! All in cost me about £120.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 4/10/05 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RI8CHP
ben

i relise this is the inncorrect way to remove the head! i cracked each bolt first in the coorect sequence but this little bleader wont budge!!!!!!

Thats ok then well apart from the bolt that wont come out

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.