Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lancaster Bomber flew over my house
donut

posted on 16/9/07 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Lancaster Bomber flew over my house

Was in the garden doing some gardening and heard this almighty roar and a Lanc flew right over the house. Kenly aerodrome is not far from me at all so the lanc was very low and looked amazing. Wish i had my camera to hand.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 16/9/07 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
edit: i think i was very wrong on what i said. still amazing though!

must've been wierd to sit looking ou that little bubble on the top at high altitude

[Edited on 16/9/07 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

stevec

posted on 16/9/07 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Its amazing what you see when you get outside the garage. 4 Merlins alltogether, Perfect.
Now put the spade down and get back where you truly belong.
Steve.

coozer

posted on 16/9/07 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Did it bring the patriotic tear to the eye?

The Battle of Britain Memorial flight always chokes me at the air show. There's nowt better...

[Edited on 16/9/07 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

David Jenkins

posted on 16/9/07 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
One day I was in the kitchen and heard an aircraft approaching - with 'one of those' sorts of engine note. I rushed to the window to see Spitfire going into a climbing victory roll just over the centre of my village.

I think he was rehearsing for Remembrance Sunday, which was the week after.

But those Lancasters are sooo impressive when they fly over...

[Edited on 16/9/07 by David Jenkins]

donut

posted on 16/9/07 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
My old house was just a few yards from the parameter of Kenly airfield and the BBMF flew over the garden twice at 0 feet, i was awe struck.

When i re decorated that house we noticed big round patches of plaster on the walls due to the shock waves from the bombs that were dropped by the German bombers. It must have been scary back then with my old house being between Northan France and Kenley fighter station!!

Duxford is 'THE' place to see WW2 aircraft fly.

Shame we lost a Hurricane this weekend at the Shoreham air show, very sad.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 16/9/07 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Get Lancasters, Spitfire and Hurricanes flying over my house several times a yearin facta Spitfire flew over this morning. Duxford Imperial war museum is only a couple of miles away. I know a guy who is an aircraft engineer and works on the two seater Spitfire , he says you can get to ride in the Spitfire BUT it costs an arm and a leg for 1/2hr with a five year waiting list The battle of Britain was filmed at Duxford amongst other places in 1967 . Used to see all sorts of WW2 planes flying around then.

[Edited on 16/9/07 by rusty nuts]

martyn_16v

posted on 16/9/07 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
When I win the lottery for the fourth time I'm going to get another lanc' up and flying. Well, a man can have a dream can't he?

donut

posted on 16/9/07 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Duxford Imperial war museum is only a couple of miles away.

You lucky b******

My most fave airfield!

Andy

jollygreengiant

posted on 16/9/07 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Remember that these are thorough bred war machines and thing do go wrong occasionally. I refer to the Hurricane pilot who died yesterday down at Shoreham airport. My condolences to his family.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

richard thomas

posted on 16/9/07 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
I was lucky enough to have got to do a bit of work on the Lanc whilst it was getting it's major sevice at Coventry airport this year. What a machine...it's awesome!

Omni

posted on 16/9/07 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by donut
Was in the garden doing some gardening and heard this almighty roar and a Lanc flew right over the house. Kenly aerodrome is not far from me at all so the lanc was very low and looked amazing. Wish i had my camera to hand.

Andy I took of from Biggin Hill Airport Yesterday and then relanded a while later. It flies over my house about once a month at about 300 ft! It always looks AMAZING!!!!!

I have some pics BTW ;-)

O

[Edited on 16/9/07 by Omni]

Catpuss

posted on 16/9/07 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
When ever there is a display/WWII re-enactment show going on I get them over my house. Last year it was a Dakota going a good 10 minutes of low flyovers. This year it was the spitfire and lancaster.

I remember one spitfire pilot dipping a wing between the chimney stacks at Kirby Hall after skimming over the WWII show and strafing a tiger tank. I wanted to cut all my hair off and do WWII re-enactment after watching that

gezer

posted on 16/9/07 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
a lancaster bomber flew over my house,

Thats nothing i know some germans and it flew over their house EVERY night

I'm to old to live and to young to die --- buggerit

matt.c

posted on 16/9/07 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevec
Its amazing what you see when you get outside the garage. 4 Merlins alltogether, Perfect.
Now put the spade down and get back where you truly belong.
Steve.

While in my garage i was disturbed by a spitfire doing loop the loops!!

Could have been a bit more considerate! I was concentrating so hard!

myeates

posted on 16/9/07 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
work at Wickenby Airfield in the heart of lincolnshire not far away from Coningsby where the BBMF is based we often get them flying over once a month if were lucky from one of the three and they always soundand look great
Jasper

posted on 17/9/07 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Probably coming back from the Shoreham air show yesterday - sat on my terrace (2 miles from the airport) and watched all sorts of aircraft flying around all day, spitfires, hurricanes, biplanes with wing walkers, bombers etc etc - shame the guy the day before car and die in the hurricane though

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

AndyH

posted on 18/9/07 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
This is all very well, but what is gardening.
Strange word, never heard of it before.

rusty nuts

posted on 18/9/07 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AndyH
This is all very well, but what is gardening.
Strange word, never heard of it before.

Something the other half does??

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.