Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Time Limit on Pre SVA Insurance?
John Bonnett

posted on 23/11/07 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Time Limit on Pre SVA Insurance?

Following on from my Post about many miles on a trailer, I would like to insure the car to drive it to Exeter for the SVA. However, I have heard that, because of the new national database, you are only given two weeks insurance on a chassis number and after that, it must have a registration number.

Question 1, Is this true?

If it is, I very much doubt that the car will pass first time and even if it does, two weeks between SVA and registration might be pushing it a bit. Then it looks like the insurance will have to be cancelled with a heavy cash loss.

Question 2 Does this time period vary from insurance company to company?

From your posts, many of you do insure and drive the car to SVA and from the point of view of getting the engine thoroughly warm and bedding in brakes etc it is a good idea. I just wondered if you have come across this two week rule.

As ever, I look forward to hearing from you and thank you for your help.

John

BenB

posted on 23/11/07 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
Lots of places do the two week rule if its the main insurance which is a PITA as quite a few cars fail and sometimes the fail points can lead to quite a few weeks head-scratching.... However, it's worth discussing with the insurer- some will let you buy a single days insurance to cover the trip to SVA.
I think it's well worth driving to SVA. Gets the engine warm, bit of a shake-down, bed in the brakes etc.....

John Bonnett

posted on 23/11/07 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote: I think it's well worth driving to SVA. Gets the engine warm, bit of a shake-down, bed in the brakes etc.....

Yes, that's what I thought too.

whitestu

posted on 23/11/07 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
I was quoted the two week rule by all the insurers I spoke to. I went with Graham Sykes in the end as they said there would be a possibility of extending the period if I needed to.

I didn't test this though as I didn't need the extra time.

Stu

BenB

posted on 23/11/07 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Show off
John Bonnett

posted on 23/11/07 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Ii didn't test this though as I didn't need the extra time.

I wish I had your confidence!!

I can think of 3 or 4 areas where the car might fail. Am I being negative?

John

Humbug

posted on 23/11/07 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
I had to call off my first SVA appointment about a mile from home (clutch problems). The "real" SVA was 2 days before the 1 month insurance ran out. Adrian Flux refused to consider extending it - luckily I passed, and got the DVLA inspection and registration the following day!
DarrenW

posted on 23/11/07 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
i failed and retested / registered within the 2 weeks. Ive heard some insurance make this statement but when pushed will extend as a favour.

ditchlewis

posted on 23/11/07 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
i was quoted that by Adrian flux, failed the sva and cashed it in.

re insured by Footman James (Cheaper) and when asked they told me that they had no time limit.

ditch

whitestu

posted on 23/11/07 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I wish I had your confidence!!

I didn't have any!

Driving the car for the first time ever through the rush hour traffic round the North Circular was terrifying!

I would have been quite happy with a moderate fail, and was very surprised when it passed.

I think I was helped by the fact that my build was very basic - I was using the stock Sierra engine so no emmissions problems, standard clocks so accurate speedo etc.

Stu

John Bonnett

posted on 23/11/07 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
I've just spoken to Adrian Flux who can offer 30 days between start of cover on chassis number and getting registration with an option to extend. Before I go with them, if anyone has any negative views on AF please can you send me a U2U.

Many thanks

John

chockymonster

posted on 23/11/07 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John Bonnett
I've just spoken to Adrian Flux who can offer 30 days between start of cover on chassis number and getting registration with an option to extend. Before I go with them, if anyone has any negative views on AF please can you send me a U2U.

Many thanks

John

I won't U2U it as everyone should know about it.
Adrian Flux are a bunch of erm, nasty people when it comes to SVA insurance. Don't trust their word at all. COme the 30 days they'll say tough and cancel your policy with no refund. It's happened to a friend of mine.

I went with MSM, they were stars, 30 day cover note and it was extended for me.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
barrie sharp

posted on 23/11/07 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hi John
While you are shopping around I am insured with Roadsure and I seem to remember they gave the 30 days cover also include going abroad cover as standard.might be worth a try
http://www.roadsure.ltd.uk/

the cars looking good" a blind man would be pleased to see it"
''stop press'' the blind mans seen it said "it felt ok"

John Bonnett

posted on 23/11/07 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Many thanks for that Barrie, I'll give them a call.

Best regards

John

NS Dev

posted on 26/11/07 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
I am with Flux, both for the locost and my road car (BMW 740i)

having been with them for 8 years now, they can beat ANY quote I get from any other insurer. ( I tried all the usual suspects mentioned on here)

They explained that my pre-SVA cover was ONLY 30 DAYS................can't be much clearer than that.

Yes its not great but at some point rules have to be rules or we could all drive around unregistered indefinitely.

I had the same issue pre-SVA and got all het up over it, but the reality is if you can be flexible, the SVA guys are too. Give them (as in, the tester) your mobile number after your fail (if you do that is), and he will call you with any slots that become available. He can fit in a retest very quickly.

I failed at Notts SVA centre, and got a retest within 3 days of calling about one.(would have been quicker if I could have made it! )

With no no-claims discount, limited mileage etc etc my 200hp vx XE 16v locost was £150 fully comp at £6000 value.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.