Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Is it possible to build a £5000 Indy
stefanfed

posted on 20/1/08 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Is it possible to build a £5000 Indy

Hi i have a £5000 budget and really want to build an MK Indy with a bike engine is my budget realistic? How much did you spend building yours?
worX

posted on 20/1/08 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
It is very realistic.
BUT, and it's not a huge but, you will be very restricted on what "nice" bits you put on the car.

The best way to build a £5000 car is to plan ahead - Search ebay twice a week for the things you want - put in ONLY sensible bids and stick to them. Use as many of the donor components you can. Start off with a budget engine (Blade, ZX9, R1) and don't modify it to start off with. Speak to your manufacturer and ask them if you can ring them once a fortnight to ask for bodywork that is classed as seconds...

That should give you a bit to be going on with!

Cheers,
Steve

ps - and welcome to the site! Put your location in your profile and you may get more people helping out because they are local to you - and also a ride out if you haven't already had one!

scoobyis2cool

posted on 20/1/08 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
^ What he said

Welcome to the forum!

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stefanfed

posted on 20/1/08 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for replying you have helped out alot.
Dangle_kt

posted on 20/1/08 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
other option is to buy a part built, and benifit from someone else taking the loss.

They pop up pretty regularly, but pick one local as you will want to go and see it.

I bought a locost part built, and currently I'm at about £2k. By the time it is finished and SVA'd, I'll be looking at £3.5k max for a fireblade engined 500kg (approx) car.

As steve said though, it does limit the BLING, but if you can be controlled and don't mind that too much, then your laughing.

scoobyis2cool

posted on 20/1/08 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
The beauty of it is you can easily upgrade most stuff at a later date if you want to.

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cryoman1965

posted on 20/1/08 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
You could look at this as a good starting point. Then sell the bits you don't need.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/308826.htm

NTDWM

HTH

Nige

[Edited on 20/1/08 by cryoman1965]

Mark G

posted on 20/1/08 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
I'm just starting my build now,

What you want to do is sit down with a pen and paper, go through the price list from mk and mark off what you need to get from them and what you don't.

Then what you don't need to get from mk. find elsewhere and write down the cheapest you find. Add it all up and your rough build cost is in front of you in black and white.

I did this and I think that I'll spend around £6k, I'm adding another £500 for unexpected extras.

Good luck.

flak monkey

posted on 20/1/08 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Not a chance of doing a BEC for £5k IMO. I managed to build my pinto GTS for just under £6k, take £500 off for the 'nice' bits i could have gone without!

Matt.c bought a part built MK, with almost everything he needed, and is now a couple of grand over £5k, thats with a ZX9R engine and a massive saving on the part built kit!

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Bob C

posted on 20/1/08 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
I built for about that but made my own chassis & loads of other stuff. I wouldn't imagine it's possible using a kit & bought in solutions.
coozer

posted on 20/1/08 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
It may be too close for a BEC unless you use an old cbr1000 or fj1200 enigine?

But, get a pinto donor, build a CEC and 5K is possible.

If the donor is cheap enough you may be able to upgrade to a zetec engine.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

bigrich

posted on 20/1/08 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
it is possible-Just you must be prepared to hunt out every bargain you can find.
I would agree a part built car is a good way to save cash as is a less fashionable engine ie cbr1000 instead of blade or zzr1100 instead of zx12r
even if on paper you get it to 5000 i would have a reserve 1000 for the bits you forget, oils brake fluid anti freeze cleaners and paint to mention a few plus the sva and registration cost aswell

Rich

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

eccsmk

posted on 21/1/08 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
i thought i could build mine for around 5k but due mainly to finding a zx12r mine is at the 5k mark now and at a rough guess ive got another 2k to go
all the best with the project and if you ever get stuck (as i seem to alot of the time) theres no better place than here!!

whitestu

posted on 21/1/08 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Can definitely be done with a CEC - my CVH car cost about £4800, but with standard clocks, engine etc and no reconditioning of anything.

Most of the really expensive bits were bought were cheaply secondhand [exhaust, seats etc].

My donor cost£45.

Can't see how you could do a basic BEC for less than £6k.

People do have a tendency to 'forget' what they bought. Usually because the Mrs wants to know how much it all costs!

SVA and registration costs a few quid as the car needs to be insured or trailered, and may not pass 1st time.

I did a spreadsheet with all my costs inc. oil, filters, gaskets, trim etc, and it was a squeeze to get it done at £4800.

If you can get a part build this would save a lot.

I spent £2600 at MK on the kit, short prop and modified rack alone.

Budget for £6k and you might be able to do it.

Stu

RK

posted on 21/1/08 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Don't forget to budget for things like:
paint, equipment for same, bolts, washers, rivets, screws, and any parts you don't want to use from the donor (I didn't have a usable donor and bought rear hubs from the scrapyard for close to $300 - I'm still smarting from it all) - a;so body parts are expensive if you don't live near the manufacturer. All these little bits add up to a huge cost in the end. Your honest cost will be much higher than many people will tell you because, as said, they don't want to add it up themselves and forget things they bought. Save every single little receipt and you will be surprised.

Whatever you spend, you can double it for Canada if that makes you feel any better!

Jimbob

posted on 25/1/08 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Part built will really help, i paid £1500 for my Indy rolling chassis and zx9 lump, diff, shafts and 6 piece fiberglass so worth searching!
Making as much of the bodywork you can yourself out of ali saves plenty too, 3 8'X4' sheets = less than you will pay for a bonnet!
Mine cost about £4500 otr of which about £300 was SVA and registration etc so yup indeed it can be done

James

DarrenW

posted on 25/1/08 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Of course you can. Just make a start and then once you are fully bitten by the bug you will hide the odd invoice here and there just like the rest of us.

RK

posted on 26/1/08 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
Excellent answer. The actual cost doesn't matter as long as you can stay with the other half, and eat. Finding deals is the most fun part of it all.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.