Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: parking tickets.
alexdj125
Junior Builder

Posts 93
Registered 23/6/07

Photo Archive Go!
Building: an increasingly large carbon footprint!

posted on 14/2/08 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
parking tickets.

Just wondering, if I park my kit in town and buy a parking ticket, whats to stop some pikey stealing it and me getting a fine? I thought of taking a photo of the ticket or something but thats a bit of a hassle everytime I want to park! Any ideas?
BenB

posted on 14/2/08 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
In the past I've just parked up and so far never had a ticket nicked.... but I always worry!!! There's a similar problem round here if you put a cover over the car they can't see your residents parking permit... Then again, unless the wardens lift up the outdoor cover they shouldn't be able to see the registration to do the ticket for....

If I had a cameraphone I'd probably take a photo of the car displaying the ticket (rather like the traffic wardens do!!). If it's good enough for them.....

Macbeast

posted on 14/2/08 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Your photo won't do you any good at all IMHO. The offence is not DISPLAYING a valid ticket and I don't think proof that you bought one will carry any weight.

Bur don't worry, your average pikey will steal the car and leave the ticket

Delinquent

posted on 14/2/08 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
There is nothing to stop it being stolen unless you make up some form of lockable holder for it - I had this problem frequently with my sand rail, not even having a windscreen meant it could blow away even if it wasn't nicked.

Some places are quite lenient - When in Sheffield I got at least half a dozen tickets cancelled after appealing on the grounds that I had bought one and it had gone missing. Other tell you tough shite. In the end I just got a motorcycle tax disc holder to put it in.

If I had another I'd just use a mobile phone to snap it as proof of purchase.

eznfrank

posted on 14/2/08 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
On a similar note, if you don't got a windscreen, where are you supposed to stick it??

Also, what's to stop someone nabbing your tax disc?

Hammerhead

posted on 14/2/08 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
PU Adhesive works well

alexdj125
Junior Builder

Posts 93
Registered 23/6/07

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 14/2/08 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
That was another thing I'm worried about, the tax disc! I dont have a tax disc on my bike, I store it under the seat, or carry it in my wallet. I've been thinking of drilling through a tax disc holder and fitting a small padlock or something, reckon that would work?

[Edited on 14/2/08 by alexdj125]

Delinquent

posted on 14/2/08 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alexdj125
That was another thing I'm worried about, the tax disc! I dont have a tax disc on my bike, I used to store it under the seat. I've been thinking of drilling through a tax disc holder and fitting a small padlock or something, reckon that would work?

You can (or at least could) get lockable motorcycle ones, don't need to go drilling holes

RazMan

posted on 14/2/08 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
You could always stick this guy in your passenger seat - he might need goggles though :d

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DarrenW

posted on 14/2/08 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Ive not had one nicked yet. Some tickets are in 2 bits - if you keep the receipt part you should be OK.

As said offence is not displaying it but hopefully there are some humans out there.

I stick mine on inside of aeroscreen (back side of the smoked screen part). Not easily visible until you are close to the car. Being curved and out of the wind (ish) they dont blow away.

Anyone looked to see how bikers do it?

alexdj125
Junior Builder

Posts 93
Registered 23/6/07

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 14/2/08 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Just been searching for lockable tax holders, can only find allen key ones though! and that would take ages each time! May just get myself one of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkZcG_pgp0Q&feature=related

[Edited on 14/2/08 by alexdj125]

BenB

posted on 14/2/08 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a motorbike tax disc holder bolted to the car. Unless the thieves bring along their torx screwdrivers the tax disc is safe.....

I think you could quite easily appeal against a ticket which was given in a situation where

a) You bought a ticket
b) Took a photograph of the ticket on the car and a close-up of the ticket to show date / leaving time
c) that ticket was then stolen

From a legal point of view can you be made to commit an offense without knowledge and solely due to the illegal actions of others?
After all, if someone steals you car and parks on a double yellow line (and you have a crime reference number) the parking ticket is invalid.

onzarob

posted on 14/2/08 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
I once walk away from the car and kept the ticket in my pocket and not displayed in the car.

If I paid the fine within a week it was only a fiver

Delinquent

posted on 14/2/08 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by onzarob
I once walk away from the car and kept the ticket in my pocket and not displayed in the car.

Of course if you do that you could try and argue that it was displayed correctly, but that the warden must have missed it

BenB

posted on 14/2/08 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Unless they toe you away in which case you're screwed
barrie sharp

posted on 14/2/08 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
I aways write my registration number on the ticket just in case, seems to work and I havent lost one yet, a ticket inspector said it was a good idea because if there was something written on a ticket he would check it matched the car.

the cars looking good" a blind man would be pleased to see it"
''stop press'' the blind mans seen it said "it felt ok"

vinny1275

posted on 14/2/08 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by onzarob

In Oxford, a 5 pound fine would be cheaper than paying for parking!!

adithorp

posted on 14/2/08 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
You have to put your registration number into the machine here before it'll issue a ticket.

adrian

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.