Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: supercharger running off propshaft
oadamo

posted on 2/3/08 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
supercharger running off propshaft

iam fitting the bike engine to my locost but to get the drive to the supercharger off the bike engine is gonna cost. so i was thinking of running a belt off the propshaft and putting the charger in the passenger foot well. what do you think. should i go for it. will it break the drive spockets or the bearing in the engine.
adam

Paul TigerB6

posted on 2/3/08 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
does the supercharger not need drive related to engine speed rather than road speed as your feed would be taken after the gearbox?? Know little about superchargers and fuel mapping myself but would imagine you would need 6 fuel maps - one for each gear or am i totally wrong in thinking how superchargers work??
blakep82

posted on 2/3/08 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
the prop shaft speed relates to wheel speed, not engine speed, so i say wrong move

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

BenB

posted on 2/3/08 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
Yup. As already spotted, it ain't going to work

Propshaft rotates relative to road speed not engine speed.....

oadamo

posted on 2/3/08 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
bugger this is going to get exspensive. how do they get the drive from the engine then with out all the oil flying everywhere. but if i use the propshaft i could gear it up or down and use a bypass valve when the boost gets to much hmmmmm.
adam

hardassfunk

posted on 2/3/08 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
save some hassle and buy a kit off TTS

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KAWASAKI-ZX14-SUPERCHARGER-KIT_W0QQitemZ330194555851QQihZ014QQcategoryZ10490QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQc mdZViewItem

oadamo

posted on 2/3/08 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hardassfunk
save some hassle and buy a kit off TTS

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KAWASAKI-ZX14-SUPERCHARGER-KIT_W0QQitemZ330194555851QQihZ014QQcategoryZ10490QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQc mdZViewItem

ive allready got the supercharger. so iam gonna make it fit lol.
adam

NS Dev

posted on 2/3/08 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
extension shaft through either the clutch or generator housing, with an oil seal and housing mounted onto the housing, shouldn't be impossible and certainly cheap enough

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

BenB

posted on 2/3/08 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
The ST1100 has a pulley on the end of the crank which runs the belt to the cam pulleys. That pulley is beyond an oil seal so it's pretty easy to add a second pulley to run a blower. Presumably chain drived cams will be inside the "oil compartment" and this wouldn't be an option....
tks

posted on 2/3/08 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
or ditch the waterpump and use it as a donor for your parts...

don't know the BHP a waterpump can deliver tough...

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

MikeRJ

posted on 2/3/08 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
Forget any idea about driving it from the propshaft, it's just isn't practical. If you gear it up enough to produce the boost you want in lower gears, you'll end up overspeeding it in higher gears. The propshaft UJ's will very likely not take kindly to the sideways thrust required to keep a supercharger belt tensioned.
blakep82

posted on 2/3/08 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
here's a mad idea... don't know how or if it could ever work, or if the power it would take to run it would be worth while, but what about having one driven by an electric motor? you could put it anywhere then.
though it would take a lot of clever electronics to work out a system where the electric motor runs at the same speed as the engine...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

daviep

posted on 2/3/08 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Driving a super charger with a motor isn't really practicle. Small super charger probably needs about 15hp @ max speed and boost, that's a big motor and a big alternator to run it = very heavy. Incidently I think speed control might be the easy bit, I would look into using an ac motor straight from the alternator (un rectified) as the frequency and hence the motor speed would vary with engine speed.

Completly pointless speculation though

What engine are you fitting your blower too?

Davie

[Edited on 2/3/08 by daviep]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.