Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: pro's and cons of owning a BEC
buncefm

posted on 21/5/08 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
pro's and cons of owning a BEC

from the prospective i have never been in a BEC can you list the pro's and cons of owning a BEC. please could you try to be realistic and unbiast. cheers!
BenB

posted on 21/5/08 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Pro's

Good power:weight ratio
Good acceleration
Exciting to drive

Cons

No reverse unless you complicate things
High RPMs can get annoying for long distance cruising
If you make the car heavy but adding uneccesary things you'll lose a lot of performance.
CEC drivers will always be trying to persuade you that a CEC is better. As if

daviep

posted on 21/5/08 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
bec vs cec............just about as interesting as post aboutGTS.

Do a search it's discussed regularly.

Howlor

posted on 21/5/08 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Generally both are a very raw form of vehicle, nothing like you have been in or driven before.

The BEC is exhilerating due to the rev range, sound etc etc. I have never owned bikes so this was all new to me. You tend to get a lot of clattering and banging. However the above comments also mean that you get a bit fed up on longer journeys, but saying that mine was used for a quick 10 mile sprint then back in the garage.

The CEC will still be raw in the sense of wind noise, fairly harsh ride etc but the engine will be more what you are used to. Not so much clattering noise to worry about and lower revving so better for cruising.

Really depends what you are after but remember that very few people use these cars as daily drivers, even fewer take out their missus on long drives through the countryside. These are cars for the purist and hence build oneto suit.

Steve

Wadders

posted on 21/5/08 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Pro's
They are very quick.
They are even quicker round corners.
They sound lovely.
You can have flappy paddles that actually work.

Con's
They make your eyes water
They make your eyes water even more round corners.
They can make your ears hurt.
Flappy paddles are seen by some as a bit girlie (usually cec drivers, just ignore them, it's only jealousy).

There a well rounded summary i reckon.

Al

i]Originally posted by buncefm
from the prospective i have never been in a BEC can you list the pro's and cons of owning a BEC. please could you try to be realistic and unbiast. cheers!

[Edited on 21/5/08 by Wadders]

mookaloid

posted on 21/5/08 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Pro:

They are quick

Con:

Driver smugness

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

thegasmen

posted on 21/5/08 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
bec car engined car

This is a debate that is often covered I have a bec and i think if i was to build another one i think i would go car engine next time.

bec are not every day transport they are great for the sunday blast they are designed to be thrashed that is what they they are good at pureley because i find that they dont seem to like cruising in top gear for a length of time you will be in top doing 60 you dont put your foot down because not much will happen you have down shift then floor the pedal thats baisically it.Dont build one thinking you will get better fuel economy either.

If money wasnt an issue I would go for honda s2000 engine best of both worlds or if on a budget go for pinto or duratec with mild tuning.

there you have it the choice is now yours but you will always want what you havent got (grass greaner on other side)

regards Mick

Jon Ison

posted on 21/5/08 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Pros, everything.

Cons, I'm always late home, the dam thing always turns left on the way home when home is right, or tother way round.....

billy

posted on 21/5/08 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Yawn

luego-lo-cost finished,vauxhall 16v 2.0,twin 45s de-dion rear set up

RK

posted on 21/5/08 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
CEC is better. Why? Because I've got internet access. And that gives me all the credibility I need to give you my opinion. That and my paternal grandmother was from Bolton. Been through myself, but never stopped.

[Edited on 21/5/08 by RK]

[Edited on 21/5/08 by RK]

speedyxjs

posted on 22/5/08 at 06:37 AM Reply With Quote
You can get a jag engine in a cec

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Avoneer

posted on 22/5/08 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thegasmeni find that they dont seem to like cruising in top gear for a length of time you will be in top doing 60 you dont put your foot down because not much will happen

Balls.

I remember cruising home from Donnington in my CEC just over 100 and some nutter in a silver BEC GT1 suddenly appeared 10mm from my rear.

I moved over and they then disapeared into the distance.

That convinced me to build a BEC.

Thank you Mr Ison !!!

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 22/5/08 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
Power to weight ratio can't be beaten, light weight pulls more 'g' in corners and as sequential gearbox gain up to 0.1 sec per gear change (lots per lap). QED

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

eccsmk

posted on 22/5/08 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
the only reason i built a car with a bike engine was the noise

altho i did buy an E30 6 cylinder for the same reason

marc n

posted on 22/5/08 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
if you want a toring type car with a bit of poke s2000 all the way even the misses can drive it, but for out and out track performance and grin factor it has be be bike

cheers

marc

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
buncefm

posted on 22/5/08 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for all the comments, its still not easy to decide WHATS BEST? ive fancied the bike engine for the noise and performance and for the fact i think if i owned a bike i'd end up killing myself so a bike engined car sounds like the solution, but then the sensible side of the brain kicks in and pulls up all the reasons why a cec would be more practical and nearly just as much fun AAAAAARGH! why do we have this part of the brain that always spoils the best plans.
next question what sort of price are you lookin at for an s2000 engine? how would cosworth engine compare with bike engine performance?

pwl

posted on 23/5/08 at 05:00 AM Reply With Quote
The S2000 engine and gearbox is about 3500£ and then you need to dry sump it for about 1500 £. You will probably also need to get a standalone ECU witch runs about 1100 £

PWL

clutch_kick

posted on 25/5/08 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
Why does the F20C need a dry sump? is it height issues? I might be buying a Half-cut S2000 straight from japan and rip-out the bits at my own lesiure in the garage.

pwl

posted on 25/5/08 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Height and oil starvation at high G´s

PWL

clutch_kick

posted on 25/5/08 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
I've just gone through the maintenance manual of a '03 S2000, more specifically to look at the ECU setup. has anyone run this engine with an OEM ecu, with all the 'useless' bits blocked off, and no fault codes?

I think this may need a stand-alone ECU jobbie ...

pwl

posted on 26/5/08 at 05:44 AM Reply With Quote
I think it is possible to run the stock ECU, but it will be really hard. Especially all the emission components and anti theft, will be really hard to fit on the 7, so in reality I think the only realistic option is a standalone ECU. I will be using the AEM 30-1052U

PWL

marc n

posted on 26/5/08 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Why does the F20C need a dry sump? is it height issues? I might be buying a Half-cut S2000 straight from japan and rip-out the bits at my own lesiure in the garage.

dry sumping only gained an extra 5mm clearance, when we do our own s2000 we will not bother with the sump, in our latest cars the body is 25mm higher, so an s2000 with standard sump sits just below the chassis rail from memory 10 - 15mm infact the lowest part is the bell housing

ecu does need to be swapped by an after market job

cheers

marc

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
clutch_kick

posted on 26/5/08 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Great. Thanks marc. Well without a dry-sump, the ECU will be withing budget. AEM are good, bec they are plug and play, however I prefer Haltech. The E8 is perfect for the job, the only downside is no Knocking retard maps.

Just out of curiosity, can you download the AEM software to play about with it?

marc n

posted on 26/5/08 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
one of our custmoers is using a omex system as our man who makes the loom can integrate it all into one wiring harness making it a lot neater

cheers

marc

clutch_kick

posted on 26/5/08 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
Had a quick look at the OMEX website, i like. I'll try and contact them to download the manual and software and have a quick look at it. It's important since i have to do my own mapping, on maltese roads at least this time we won't be testing the anti-lag system on the traffic lights lol lol

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.