Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Parallel Prop
Taz Surfleet

posted on 25/5/08 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Parallel Prop

Hi Guys how vital is it that the prop runs parallel down the chassis. When MK built my indi chassis it was for an oil cooled GSXR engine, I have managed to obtain a wc version but have noticed that the sump hangs under the chassis by a good 3" leavin me about 2" of clearance, I can lift the engine about 2" but that would mean the initial prop to the reverse box is not running parrallel, should I lift the reverse box 2 " as well and have the 2nd prop slightly out, or lift the reverse box 1 " so that the gradient is slightly less all through the run ofthe prop ?
David Jenkins

posted on 25/5/08 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
Ideally the propshaft should have a slight tilt on each UJ - roughly 2 or 3 degrees - but the 2 ends should be parallel. Hard to explain in words, try this picture (it shows a truck transmission, but the idea's the same).

Basically, if a UJ runs absolutely straight the bearings rattle around and damage the housings - brinneling, it's called. A very slight bend stops this happening. The angle can be side-to-side, up-and-down, or a combination of both.

[Edited on 25/5/08 by David Jenkins]

Taz Surfleet

posted on 25/5/08 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
thanks for that David, Ill just raise the engine making sure that the flanges stay @ 90 degrees to each other !
Humbug

posted on 25/5/08 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Taz Surfleet
thanks for that David, Ill just raise the engine making sure that the flanges stay @ 90 degrees to each other !

Don't they need to be at 180 degrees?

Taz Surfleet

posted on 25/5/08 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
I stand corrected !!
Paul TigerB6

posted on 25/5/08 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
You will probably want to raise the reverse box by around an inch to inch and a half to get then angles on the prop nice as mentioned in the posts above. Have a play around with it before final fixing to get the UJ angles similar on each prop

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.