Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New job but can I do it? :(
v8kid

posted on 31/1/12 at 03:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
Do they still have a faculty club at your uni? The thought of teaching at my old place was completely banished when I remembered that they closed it during my time there.

Call them student unions over here. Dens of iniquity full of depravity and your mother would tell you to cross the street.
Yup we still have One

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
v8kid

posted on 31/1/12 at 03:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PSpirine
Ever since leaving uni, I can't wait to find a PhD studentship in something I want to study!

Very well done on your appointment and I'm glad you're settling in. Nothing quite like being paid to learn interesting stuff!

Thanks for the encouragement. Most PhD subjects are a bit flexible and subject creep tends to set in as more is found out. Industrial sponsors tend to be very focussed on deliverables but the academics just want to publish papers and if bending the subject produces more papers in better journals it's a no brained. So there is a bit of latitude after you start.

Thing to do is look for CASE and ESPRC sponsored studentships cos the stipend is excellent and tax free. Also there are budgets attached - it's worth about £100k to the uni so they really want you to be there and to succeed consequently if you can present a good case and a good degree you will be accepted for quite a diverse range of subjects.

This one was my second application- course it might just be luck but if you fancy it chase it you can always say no!

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
v8kid

posted on 5/3/12 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Phew!

9 weeks in and I'm absolutely exhausted.

I can't believe how much I've learned and its not enough. I also can't believe how little I've achieved but everyone else thinks its great! I suppose that's education

I'm really lucky that my sponsor is extremely competent and patient but pushy and encouraging without him I'd probably pack it in. On the other hand I've spent at least 50% of my time on assembling/repairing/adapting mothballed equipment that really should have been better cared for. Ho hum!

Since I discovered the latest version of mathcad the maths problem has eased but now I need to pick up Autocad and Solidworks in a hurry - also looming is my first involvement in a paper - basically 'cos I'm doing the lab tests (donkey work) but it is really decent of them to give me credit this early in.

Would I have started if I knew it was going to be this tough? Dunno.

Would I recommend it to anyone else? Well it would help if the Ph.D. was in your area of expertise - moving outside comfort zones is really stressful and in all honesty I would not recommend taking the route I have. There is a fundamental disconnect between Engineers and Physicists with engineers focusing on building real world systems and physicists concentrate on understanding possible systems. Trying to do both is like living 2 lives

On the other side I get to play with some seriously high tech toys even if the technicians run to hide when they see me coming

Think I won't update this thread until I have good news to report.

Cheers!

zilspeed

posted on 5/3/12 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Autocad is one of my things that I do for a living.

Anything I can help with, shout out via U2U if required.

Regds

JF

v8kid

posted on 10/12/15 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
Well nearly 4 years later and yesterday I successfully defended my dissertation!!

Yahoo - it was one hell of a lot of work just to put Dr Dave on my credit card.

Anyone else feel like doing a PhD in their later years I'd thoroughly recommend it and they pay you too!

But now I think I'll take a year out to catch up on life (and cars)

Cheers!

zilspeed

posted on 11/12/15 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
Congrats Sir.

Should you ever do a sprint again, I'll expect to see Dr David C****s on the entry list ;-)

v8kid

posted on 11/12/15 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
I'll be there!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.