Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BEC or CEC
Hellfire

posted on 13/8/10 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
Just to add on the road a 200bhp cec would be quicker a to b. You can't use the few extra mph corner speed on most roads. 1/4 mile times show that's the sort of poke you need. Add to that the lower cost too

I'm not convinced a 200bhp CEC would be be quicker from A to B sticking to the legal speed limits.

A CEC and BEC will have similar corner speeds, although I suspect the BEC will enter and exit the corners slightly quicker.

Quarter mile times I've seen, would suggest that you'd need 200bhp upwards to compete with a BEC on a dragstrip.

Most 200bhp CEC's don't come cheap.

Phil

franky

posted on 13/8/10 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
BMW 328.... 200bhp standard for £200 The extra low down torque is nice on the road IMO.

On the road slow in fast out is best according to most road racers.

[Edited on 13/8/10 by franky]

02GF74

posted on 13/8/10 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
neither, I'd fit a baby elephant. loads of oompf, eco-friendly, cheap to run, reliable as they never forget - when was the last time you saw one on the hard shoulder?

you could even train it to hose down your car.

jossey

posted on 13/8/10 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
BEC myself.

this is always a fun arguement.

if your doing road driving and chilled out get car engine.

if you wanna kill ye self on a track get the bike engine.

zx9r maybe a little small though.

good price :O)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Richard Quinn

posted on 13/8/10 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
I have a BEC but would say CEC.

This doesn't necessarily reflect my views, it's just that it's a bit quiet in the office and I'm feeling antagonistic so I'm going to have my own argument

contaminated

posted on 13/8/10 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
I have a BEC but would say CEC.

This doesn't necessarily reflect my views, it's just that it's a bit quiet in the office and I'm feeling antagonistic so I'm going to have my own argument

CEC for me, but then I have one. My main gripe with BECs is that the engine should really be IN A BIKE!!

BECs are fun though

Tiger Super Six Independent
www.southernkitcars.com

lotusmadandy

posted on 13/8/10 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
CEC for me as well and yes i have one.
My mate has a BEC,yes it is very quick but maybe its just a little manic for me.

Personal chice though

Andy

Werner Van Loock

posted on 13/8/10 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wee T
That kind of engine ? enlighten me please.
quote:
Originally posted by Werner Van Loock
compared to that kinda engine, CEC

[Edited on 12/8/10 by Wee T]

comparing a 180bhp 1.3 engine to a ZX9r is not a fair coparison to me, i'd rather compare it to a ZX12r, then i'd say bec

http://www.clubstylus.be

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ivan

posted on 13/8/10 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think it matters frankly - this BEC good for the track CEC good for roads argument - having driven various cars on the track what matters most is the sweetness of it's handling and not the ultimate speed or lap time - if the car is well mannerd in the handling department it will be major fun on the track or on the road and ultimate speed won't matter.

Most probably the car I enjoyed the best on the track is a little Toyota 12 Valve 1300 in standard tune with a 0-100kph time approaching 14 seconds but with exceptional handling which allowed you to recover from any indiscretion and test yourself to the limit without risking your neck whilst the fastest car (A 3.6 litre V6 formula Atlantic) with sub 4sec 0-100 times and sequential gearbox which gripped like a leach until it didn't and then gave no chance of recovery was a lot less fun.

So my advice is worry less about the engine choice and more about the handling and you won't be disappointed.

RK

posted on 14/8/10 at 01:59 AM Reply With Quote
I have heard a BEC running, and I'm sure it's fun, but my CA18DET, pushing 200 HP is so fast it isn't funny. You simply can't put your foot to the floor without leaving your neck broken, and spinning the tyres everywhere. Seriously nuts. Just my experience so far ripping around cones on the weekends.
iti_uk
Builder

Posts 163
Registered 13/10/08

Photo Archive Go!
Building: The KLMX-5 ('97 MX5 w/Mazda KL 2.5L V6)

posted on 17/8/10 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wee T
I think I saw your Fury ar Stoneleigh.Is the KL lump alloy or cast ? What gearbox did you use ?
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
A V6 need not be heavy - I use the Mazda KL in my Fury , and it's lighter than a lot of fours (110 kg's bare)
And with 200 bhp as well as plenty of revs it sure is a hoot , as well as very civilized round town

I can answer this one...! All alloy block, MX-5 gearbox with adapter plate. And 200hp for less than £100 - better than a BMW 328?

Chris

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.