posted on 17/11/11 at 01:52 AM Reply With Quote
Historic vehicle points system;

1= engine.
5= chassis.
2= transmission.
2= steering.
2= suspension.
2= axles.

8 points required for historic vehicle status.

Spider

Peteff

posted on 17/11/11 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
To me Locost is an ethos, using your ingenuity and skill to make your project as good as you can with as much of your own or collective input as you are able. It's gone beyond making a 7 lookalike from a book with plans ( ) and vague measurements in it.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

adithorp

posted on 17/11/11 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
The question was "What do you consider locost?"

quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
To me Locost is an ethos, using your ingenuity and skill to make your project as good as you can with as much of your own or collective input as you are able. It's gone beyond making a 7 lookalike from a book with plans ( ) and vague measurements in it.

To me that just about sums it up.

If the question was "What do you consider A Locost?" then yes, it's a 7 car, built from scratch to the book... and some of the early answers did come across as, "If thats not what you're doing go away. " Which suprised me given the usual nature of this forum.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Ninehigh

posted on 17/11/11 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Aye it appears to have transcended the single make idea and we've made it encompass what (I suppose) is the opposite of paying someone else to make you a custom build sports car.

phelpsa

posted on 17/11/11 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Being a Locostbuilder involves using your ingenuity as much as possible and your wallet as little as possible to produce an individual car.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 18/11/11 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
Being a Locostbuilder involves using your ingenuity as much as possible and your wallet as little as possible to produce an individual car.

Well said, I was thinking that 'locost' as an acronym of low cost meaning building anything for next to nowt using your ingenuity.

So, in my mind this relates to anything, not just a 7.

So, heres a little glimpse of my latest 'locost' project....

Knock it!!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

blakep82

posted on 18/11/11 at 01:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa

think i'm doing it all wrong then... got no ingenuity, and nothing in my wallet since i spent it all...

strictly speaking, the locost was from ron champion's books, so therefore following that/those books, you're building a locost (Ron says he came up with the name locost doesn't he?)
but where's the fun in everyone doing the exact same thing? its the differences that keep things interesting

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Ninehigh

posted on 18/11/11 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer

Knock it!!

I've driven worse

bobinspain

posted on 18/11/11 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DixieTheKid
A locost in my opinion is a 7 style car as cheap as you can possibly build it to you own spec. The only reason i say this is because not all of us have all of the skills to build from scratch.

I'm 100% in agreement with the above sentiment and I thought I'd add my two pen'orth as we're clearly in the minority.

Before I get shouted down by the purist 'builders', consider this:
I concede that a site named Locostbuilders should do 'exactly what it says on the tin.' That being so, why are there no posters building locost aircraft or locost boats? A 'Locostcarbuildersonly' site it is not, and I'm thankful for that.

A previous poster has summed up the raison d'etre of this site as 'an ethos' and I fully agree with him. Now, if you accept the definition of ethos as: 'The characteristic spirit of a culture, era or community as seen in its beliefs and aspirations,' then why should I, as a non-builder be excluded?

I aspire to be a better driver. If I weren't 63 years old, I'd aspire to be tool-literate and skillful like most of you guys. I wouldn't have ordered a factory-build if I could have built the blessed thing myself. I'd've built it myself and saved money in the process. Just because we aren't 'hands-on' with the tools, should we be denied access to the site, community,-------car?
Us numpties with 10 thumbs surely have the right to share enthusiasm, information and experiences and yes, aspirations in our lives. Why else are there so many submissions to 'non-car related topics' on the Locostbuilders site?

Please have a bit of patience and understanding with those who are less practically-gifted than you. We can all bring a bit of something to the party. (Anything you want to know about astro-navigation, I'm your man).

Respect and regards, Bob.

owelly

posted on 18/11/11 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
...if you know so much about astro-navigation, how come you ended up in Spain?

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Neville Jones

posted on 18/11/11 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly

If you've ever tried to look at a star through a sextant, yet alone even find one and keep it steady, you'd know the reason. Does your head in real quick.

Cheers,
Nev.

For every star sight I've taken, I took a thousand of the sun.

jossey

posted on 18/11/11 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
locost is building a sportcar for £250 not like anyone has done that since the late 80's or early 90's

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

bobinspain

posted on 18/11/11 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones
quote:

If you've ever tried to look at a star through a sextant, yet alone even find one and keep it steady, you'd know the reason. Does your head in real quick.

Cheers,
Nev.

For every star sight I've taken, I took a thousand of the sun.

480 kts in a VC10 and it's quite a stable platform Neville.

People really don't believe that pre-GPS and INAS, the good ole periscopic sextant was the mainstay of navigation in many parts of the world. Notably on our main routes from Masirah-Gan-Tengah, (about six and a half hours flying over the sea), and when over northern Greenland en-route to Calgary. The latter gave particular satisfaction when operated in 'gyro-only' mode. We'd de-couple the magnetic-monitoring (useless when well north over Canada anyway) and rely solely on sun/star shots to 'tweak' the gyros back into position to correct the precession (up to 1.5 degrees/hour). The stars are always where they should be (provided you identify the correct star!)
I used to deliberately make life 'interesting' for the pilots, by flying 'grid' and designating grid-north as (say) 120 true.

I reckon I've taken as many star shots as sunshots, since we found ourselves 'down-route' a lot at night. (Including Bugis street in Singapore).

A sun/moon fix is a good 'tick-in-the-box' to get,as is a 'merpass' on the sun. I proudly brandished the latter at the pilots, having carried it out en-route Gan-Singapore one day in 1973. They were singularly unimpressed. (Kiljoys!)

Ninehigh

posted on 18/11/11 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bobinspain
I'd've built it myself and saved money in the process. Just because we aren't 'hands-on' with the tools, should we be denied access to the site, community,-------car?
Respect and regards, Bob.

There you go, you took the lowest cost route you could. I suppose you could have paid a mate beer tokens to build it for you but I could see that not working over the long run.

You could have ordered a factory build from Caterham

geordielad

posted on 18/11/11 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
sorry i seem to have opened a can of worms here
the reason i chose this site is it has a mine of information, no one constantley taking the pi** ( ever been on the landy zone)
and some great looking cars

geordielad

posted on 18/11/11 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
looking at the points value spiderman posted for historic tax i should be ok
chassis 5
steering 2
front suspension 1
i spoke to the local tax office & they say i shoud be ok

jacko

posted on 18/11/11 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by geordielad
chassis 5
steering 2
front suspension 1

That's great news now get in the garage and DO IT and let us ALL know how you are getting on Also if in doubt ASK here first
Jacko

wilkingj

posted on 22/11/11 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
chassis 5
steering 2
front suspension 1

Sorry to be a KILLJOY...
Read this, especially section 3 on radically altered vehicles:

LINKY

I suspect that you will have to modify the chassis to fit the rear suspension, and engine.
The rules say unmodified original chassis, and thats your main 5 points.
Suspension is BOTH ends of the car, not just one end.
You wont have enough points to retain the original registration, and historic status.

I would not trust the DVLA to tell you its OK. Read the document and think again.
Be very very careful as you could lose your precious Historic Tax free status, and end up with a Q plate, and a £200 per annum road tax bill.

[Edited on 22/11/2011 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

T66

posted on 23/11/11 at 05:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
sorry i seem to have opened a can of worms here
the reason i chose this site is it has a mine of information, no one constantley taking the pi** ( ever been on the landy zone)
and some great looking cars

On that very point - a guy stuck a reasonable question on there, hadnt been there long myself, and got a whole load of abuse from the gobshites.

I had a pop at them for being intolerant, and I got it - end result they got told to ferk off, and Ive not been back.

A horrible site -

Angel Acevedo

posted on 29/11/11 at 01:02 AM Reply With Quote
I´m halfway through the reading of the thread, but I don´t want Alzheimer to kick in before I have the chane to read it all..
I will add: To help those with lesser knowledge to build SAFELY!! (Including ME!!!)

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

Angel Acevedo

posted on 29/11/11 at 01:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

´Cos he can actually SEE the stars in Spain...

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

steve m

posted on 29/11/11 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
For me, Locostbuilders.co.uk was originly designed to cater for what was a new era of car building, ie us "Build a sportscar for £250"
and i was one, it cost about £3000. mot'd taxed and insured on the road!!

However now, i doubt few if any are still being made, and as such, if this site only remained for the original team, this forum would be extinct

So we have over the years managed to attract lots of varients of other builders, and i believe MK was the first non Locost

I think now we have a good cross section of experience, in a variety of different fields, with some very clever knowledgable individule's
and some utter twits, hopefully i can remain somewhere in the middle!!

Steve

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.