Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Urgent setup problem
dave_424

posted on 11/5/13 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
It drops back down because you don't have a check valve in your fuel line, but if you do and fuel pressure drops like a rock then that points to a stuck injector.

4 bar fuel pressure is pretty high, you need 3 bar, but that might come down as you get vacuum from then the engine starts.

What I would do is disconnect the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator and then set fuel pressure to 3 bar.

You should be reading the MAP sensor from the gauge in tunerstudio because this is what the ECU sees the map MAP is.

dave_424

posted on 11/5/13 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
You are using EDIS as your spark output right?

is everything wired into EDIS like this

also these settings

Settings/MegaTune

In TunerStudioMS, set:

Trigger offset = 0° (this will vary slightly, depending on the wheel/pickup configuration),
Ignition Input Capture to 'Rising Edge', ('Falling Edge' for MicroSquirt® only if using the VR input circuit - not recommended),
Cranking Trigger to 'Calculated',
Coil Charging Scheme to 'EDIS',
Spark Output to 'Going High (Inverted)', ('Going High (Inverted)' for MicroSquirt).
Trigger Wheel Teeth to '0' (zero)

Set the predictor algorithm option to 'last interval'.

Valtra

posted on 11/5/13 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave_424
It drops back down because you don't have a check valve in your fuel line, but if you do and fuel pressure drops like a rock then that points to a stuck injector.

4 bar fuel pressure is pretty high, you need 3 bar, but that might come down as you get vacuum from then the engine starts.

What I would do is disconnect the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator and then set fuel pressure to 3 bar.

You should be reading the MAP sensor from the gauge in tunerstudio because this is what the ECU sees the map MAP is.

Hi No vacuum pipe connected as this is as recommended for a non turbo setup

which guage is it , fuel load ?

don't think too much fuel at this stage would stop it firing but no spark deffo a problem

"If it looks like it works and it feels like it works, then it works"

dave_424

posted on 11/5/13 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
There should be a dedicated MAP gauge, right click on a gauge, sensor input 1, Engine MAP

Are you getting an RPM signal whilst cranking? that is step 1

I don't know if using EDIS gives you a tooth log, I expect it does, if so, do a tooth log whilst cranking by going to diagnostics, and selecting tooth logger from the drop down menu. Click start and crank for a few seconds.

You are looking for a load of mid length bars, and then one that is twice the size of the others. If you get one twice the size and then another one right after that is half way between the big bar and the little bars, your VR sensor is connected the wrong way round.

Valtra

posted on 11/5/13 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
There should be a dedicated MAP gauge, right click on a gauge, sensor input 1, Engine MAP

Are you getting an RPM signal whilst cranking? that is step 1

I don't know if using EDIS gives you a tooth log, I expect it does, if so, do a tooth log whilst cranking by going to diagnostics, and selecting tooth logger from the drop down menu. Click start and crank for a few seconds.

You are looking for a load of mid length bars, and then one that is twice the size of the others. If you get one twice the size and then another one right after that is half way between the big bar and the little bars, your VR sensor is connected the wrong way round.

Map gauge installed reading 110 kpa so fine ?

No RPM whilst cranking ...

no response at all from tooth logger .

Valtra

posted on 11/5/13 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
You are using EDIS as your spark output right?

is everything wired into EDIS like this

also these settings

Settings/MegaTune

In TunerStudioMS, set:

Trigger offset = 0° (this will vary slightly, depending on the wheel/pickup configuration),
Ignition Input Capture to 'Rising Edge', ('Falling Edge' for MicroSquirt® only if using the VR input circuit - not recommended),
Cranking Trigger to 'Calculated',
Coil Charging Scheme to 'EDIS',
Spark Output to 'Going High (Inverted)', ('Going High (Inverted)' for MicroSquirt).
Trigger Wheel Teeth to '0' (zero)

Set the predictor algorithm option to 'last interval'.

trigger offset 0
rising edge
where is cranking trigger ?
where is coil charging?
trigger wheel teeth Thought it was 0 but can't find the adjustment

dave_424

posted on 11/5/13 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
The picture I was referencing to is here about half way down the page

http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/EDIS.htm

So there is your problem. Where are you getting your 12v from for the EDIS, megasquirt won't turn on the fuel pump without seeing an RPM whilst cranking.

Swap over your VR sensor wires and see if that does it.

Note that EDIS will happily make a spark without your megasquirt ECU, so it is all in the EDIS wiring.

Check that you are getting 12v on the positive whilst cranking.

dave_424

posted on 11/5/13 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure where those settings are, I just copied it from another web page, but like I said, megasquirt has nothing to do with the EDIS module creating a spark, it just changes the timing.

How much of a gap do you have between your VR sensor and the trigger wheel, about 1mm should be fine. EDIS needs an AC voltage of over 0.5v from the VR sensor.

Basically, as long as EDIS has a good power and ground and your coilpack has good power to the centre pin which I assume it does. Then the problem lies in the VR sensor signal.

Valtra

posted on 11/5/13 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Rigged up a vr plug crossover and it struck up briefly when doing a tooth log

now we are getting somewhere .Thanks for all your help so far

dave_424

posted on 11/5/13 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Okay great, if you are getting a cranking RPM, then you should be getting a spark from the EDIS module.
Valtra

posted on 11/5/13 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
Now I've swapped the VR cables over, the car quite happy to idle lumpily once tickled for a couple of minutes . Running seriously rich I think and the new exhaust bandage smoking like a wet bonfire covered in diesel. so tomorrow I can check the locked timing and trim accordingly before reverting to table, then let loose with VE analyse to get some better readings and running . I can sort out the fidle valve at a later date .

A truly heart felt thanks to all contributions so far, especially Dave for metaphorically holding my hand all afternoon you're a star

dave_424

posted on 11/5/13 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
SUCCESS! one thing I have read about the auto tune feature which is what I think you are talking about, is that people only recommend it when you already have a pretty good map, but from what I can see from the way it works, if you have your AFR table set correctly and how quickly it makes it's adjustments, it should work pretty well.

As a 20 year old student who has finished this years exams, and don't need to go back to uni until mid September, I have PLENTY of time on my hands.

Seeing as though you have a wideband it should be pretty easy for you to tune your VE table, get it idling around 14.5-15.0 about 13ish on medium throttle and 12.5 on full throttle and it should be pretty drivable. There is all of the other trick settings like acceleration enrichment which stops the stumble when you snap open the throttle (Especially on ITB's) warmup enrichments etc.

Valtra

posted on 11/5/13 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
You're the same age as my son and have an amazing amount of knowledge about MS for one so young . hope you find time for "Come dine with me" as well

[Edited on 11/5/13 by Valtra]

Valtra

posted on 12/5/13 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Car running better once fuel pressure dropped to 3 bar and ignition map engaged . Just warming up and lead light cable touched the exhaust . Which threw the trip once the ecu had fried and my laptop power supply also ....... I didn't have words left to say .

dave_424

posted on 12/5/13 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
That sucks big time. And you were doing so well, are you sure the ECU is fried? weird that it would also affect your laptop power supply also. Did any of the fuses go?
Valtra

posted on 12/5/13 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
That sucks big time. And you were doing so well, are you sure the ECU is fried? weird that it would also affect your laptop power supply also. Did any of the fuses go?

Hi yes ecu is fried , had the circuit board under a magnifying glass and mains obviously zipped into one of the earths and did enough damage to render it dead . So far haven't found any other damage anywhere on the car not even a blown fuse. Laptop was rendered confused but rebooted OK but won't take mains power so probably killed the socket (which was temperamental anyway) will need to strip it this evening to see if it can be fixed before the battery dies and all the data is lost

dave_424

posted on 12/5/13 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Wow, I'm not too sure if you can do repairs to microsquirt ECU's but this guy http://www.megasquirtuk.co.uk/ can do repairs in the UK

Almost had an oops myself today, was running my engine and had some nuts and bolts on my rear spoiler which sits over the top of the throttle bodies, the vibration almost dropped a load of m6 nuts into my open throttle bodies.

Any idea what you are going to do? replacement microsquirt?

Valtra

posted on 12/5/13 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Wow, I'm not too sure if you can do repairs to microsquirt ECU's but this guy http://www.megasquirtuk.co.uk/ can do repairs in the UK

Almost had an oops myself today, was running my engine and had some nuts and bolts on my rear spoiler which sits over the top of the throttle bodies, the vibration almost dropped a load of m6 nuts into my open throttle bodies.

Any idea what you are going to do? replacement microsquirt?

Not got a lot of choice really , I'll have to buy a new ecu . The PCB is so tiny I doubt it could be repaired economically . I hope trigger wheels in Ely have one in stock and I'll have to swallow the £280 and put it down to experience . Just ripping my laptop apart now to see if that can be salvaged.: (

BaileyPerformance

posted on 13/5/13 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
we can repair ANY megasquirt ECU, including PCB damage.

Max cost £150.

Cheaper than buying a new one!!

if you bring you car to us for mapping we will repair the ECU and map the car for £350.

www.baileyperformance.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Valtra

posted on 13/5/13 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaileyPerformance

Max cost £150.

if you bring you car to us for mapping we will repair the ECU and map the car for £350.

Thanks

Hi

Thanks but I doubt it can be repaired by a human being as the entire board would fit comfortably inside .my phone screen the blitzed component is smaller than a match head and has about 12 wires coming out. I'll take a macro photo later if I get a chance . Where are you based?

BaileyPerformance

posted on 13/5/13 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Valtra
quote:
Originally posted by BaileyPerformance

Max cost £150.

Thanks

Hi

Thanks but I doubt it can be repaired by a human being as the entire board would fit comfortably inside .my phone screen the blitzed component is smaller than a match head and has about 12 wires coming out. I'll take a macro photo later if I get a chance . Where are you based?

We are in Telford TF12 5EZ

Is you ECU totally dead? and comms? is there 5v on the TPS Ref wire?

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Valtra

posted on 13/5/13 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Not got good 3g here and not near car . But no comms for sure

Valtra

posted on 13/5/13 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
As you can see from these pics repair is not really possible with a soldering iron that is one new penny for scale . you may be able to see the ampaseal pin has burned out and severed the silver line leading from it on the pcb and flipping it over reveals the damaged component on the top of the board . Hopefully the house RCB tripping out saved anything else including me . But the laptop will no longer take a charge despite booting back up seemingly without any other issues . Hoping I can put the hard drive straight into its' near identical replacement , but sods law says it won't work properly . good fun!

burned out pin ,
burned out pin ,

get your tweezers out
get your tweezers out

dave_424

posted on 13/5/13 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
If those are the only components/parts that are fried, then it can be saved, anyone with a good de-soldering knowledge would be able to replace that chip and those burnt out traces could be fixed with a surface wire connecting the two points.

All is not lost..

Valtra

posted on 13/5/13 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Ok gobsmacked if you think that is repairable

Perhaps it's just my fading eyes then , May be worth sending it for repair then selling it on or selling it " in need of repair" for somebody with good eyes a steady hand and small tweezers .

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.