Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Geting started in Hillclimbs?
timex

posted on 12/4/09 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Geting started in Hillclimbs?

As the title says realy? Being looking through the Blue book online and im even more confused!

Our car is road legal 2000cc with no windscreen, what class would this be in?

Pictures in our archive.

Also will our rollcage be ok?

Description
Description

Could any one post a list of all the basic things I will need

Paperwork
Car
clothing

jacko

posted on 12/4/09 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Mookaloid is the man to talk too
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
expatkiwi

posted on 12/4/09 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Way down here we run a road going kit car class and just by looking at your pics i would say thats were you would go

I have decided to call my Westfeild "The Caterhammer" Hopefully it will

MikeR

posted on 12/4/09 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Roll bar doesn't look legal (i'm guessing but no diagonal brace & curious if its CDS steel)
andylancaster3000

posted on 12/4/09 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by expatkiwi
Way down here we run a road going kit car class and just by looking at your pics i would say thats were you would go

FDMC?

skydivepaul

posted on 12/4/09 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by timex
As the title says realy? Being looking through the Blue book online and im even more confused!

Our car is road legal 2000cc with no windscreen, what class would this be in?

Pictures in our archive.

Also will our rollcage be ok?

Description
Description

Could any one post a list of all the basic things I will need

Paperwork
Car
clothing

your car would be in the road going kit cars over 1700cc. the only problem with that class is in the title - over 1700cc, you could be up against V8 westies etc.
Not to put you off though. The kit car classes are always very highly competetive and some of the top cars in the up to 1700 run some very quick times sometimes FTD.
Roll bar will be fine, i ran in the kit car class with a roll bar just the same as that.

You will need an MSA national B license for most events although if you join a club and only compete in their events then the club license will be fine.
You will also need, helmet, racesuit, gloves, boots (optional) and any other fireproof garments you fancy.

DEEP POCKETS.

trailer.........in case you stuff it on the course.

jerry cans for fuel.

my advice would be to go along to the next event near you (there are a few on tomorrow. croft in the North East) talk to some of the competitors in the class you want to compete in and get as much advice as you can.

most folks are pretty freindly and will share advice with you.

join a club / championship and away you go

have fun

Just edited - - - i noticed you are west yorks, the auto 66 is a good club to join. I ran in the championship for three years, good set of lads

linky

[Edited on 12/4/09 by skydivepaul]

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

expatkiwi

posted on 12/4/09 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Yep FDMC

I have decided to call my Westfeild "The Caterhammer" Hopefully it will

timex

posted on 12/4/09 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Was thinking of the harewood hillclimb championship. Being to watch for the last two years, Pluss it is not too far from us. About an hours drive if that.
tootall

posted on 12/4/09 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
i have been to harewood today too its only 10 mins away for me i will have my indy on rd soon and want to compeat there isnt a kitcar class at harewood its modyfied production and kitcar class upto 1700 for me with me having a gsxr1000 power but with it not having a reverse i may have to go to super libra class which is anything goes so upagainst 1400 and 1600 hyabusa powerd things and radicals.
one guy i spoke to had a sylvia striker with hyabusa and no reverse and said he was in modified production but he shouldnt realy be there as he had no revers but he said they some times will over look the bike powered kitcars
but u are running a zetec by looks so no problem there there was a real fast westy duratec in blue that was very tidy

some people dream of sucsess, others just get on and do it !!

norfolkluego

posted on 12/4/09 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
We're about to do exactly the same thing, start our first season in Sprints and Hillclimbs (although being based in Norfolk I suspect it will be mainly Sprints) also in a Velocity.
THe only thing we have done to the roadgoing car is
Fit a plumbed in fire extinguisher, you have to carry one anyway so I thought it was worth doing properly, cost about £120.
Fit a battery cut off switch, not a requirement as the ignition switch would suffice but ours is actually a bit awkward to get to so I thought, in a panic if you REALLY need to kill the engine, a big red pull switch would be easier, cost about £20.
Fit a 5 point, 3 inch harness on the drivers side, cost around £150 (and having witnessed the almighty shunt in the CSCC Magnificent Sevens race at Snetterton last Saturday I think that's money well spent).
Bouought a helmet obviously, cost around £300 (if I'm reading the Blue Book correctly Type A helmets won't be OK after this year, A/FR will be OK, worth bearing in mind if you're about to buy one).
The other thing we have had done is have an extension on the roll bar. No 2 son who is competing in the same car is just over six feet and with a helmet on his head was protecting the roll bar, not the other way round, cost around £200.

Only thing left to get is a decent set of (1A) tyres, was thinking of Toyo Proxes CF1 if anyone has any opinions on them.

[Edited on 12/4/09 by norfolkluego] Rescued attachment NK1.jpg
Rescued attachment NK1.jpg

skydivepaul

posted on 12/4/09 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Harewood is a good championship, mookaloid used to run in that with a pinto indy i remember.

Tootal - you will deffo be in the sports libre class with a bike engine kit car at harewood. as you rightly say you will be up against radicals etc. auto66 will let you in the road going kit car class with a bike engine. club is based in scarboro, they run at elvington and at oliies mount. great hillclimb

HD CCTV
IP security systems
access control systems

timex

posted on 12/4/09 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
We are running a 2.0L Zetec
norfolkluego

posted on 12/4/09 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Oops, sorry for the size of that picture.
There's also a decent book on Sprinting and Hillclimbing which is worth reading.
http://www.veloce.co.uk/shop/products/productDetail.php?prod_id=V4103&prod_group=Cars%20Vans%20&%20Trucks&

skydivepaul

posted on 12/4/09 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by timex
We are running a 2.0L Zetec

2.0.l zetec will be fine for the road going class.

the other info was for Tootall

HD CCTV
IP security systems
access control systems

JimSpencer

posted on 12/4/09 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Class would normally be 2B, over 1700cc Road going Kits and space framed cars.

You don't need to have a fire extinguisher fitted if you don't want one.

4 point belts are fine, looking at your pictures you have them already?

Roll bar looks fine to me too.

You may want to check re the lack of a windscreen, round here (North West) most sprints insist on them - some hillclimbs don't - so check in your area.

Likewise for Tyres, you'll probably need to be on MSA list 1A's if you're not allready.

If you're near to Harewood why not pop along and ask one of the Scruitineers to give it the once over after the events kicks off - not known them bite anybody recently..

Did the first few years driving the car to events, only came home on the back of an RAC truck once (it's a road car, you can peel the numbers off and get it out of the paddock..) - which is something to consider if it's only local stuff and you don't have a car transporter trailer handy

norfolkluego

posted on 12/4/09 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure I agree with the windscreen regs.
Blue Book I.48 Windscreens are mandatory for all closed vehicle but free for open vehicles.
Fire extinguishers, a bit vague but I think all car must carry one, hand held is OK, plumbed is recommended, that's how I read it, could be wrong.

JimSpencer

posted on 13/4/09 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by norfolkluego
Not sure I agree with the windscreen regs.
Blue Book I.48 Windscreens are mandatory for all closed vehicle but free for open vehicles.
Fire extinguishers, a bit vague but I think all car must carry one, hand held is OK, plumbed is recommended, that's how I read it, could be wrong.

Yup, the Blue book is only the starting point for club motorsport, club and championship regs are based on it - currently anyway.

Lots of debate around things like windscreens and softer tyres etc etc, but currently over here it's windscreens and list 1a tyres, but it does vary as I mentioned.

The rule you're looking for re extinguishers is page 325, rule 46 last point - only recommended for us.

Though it's probably a good idea - if you're going to fit something man enough for the job, otherwise don't bother.
Having had flames at Loton once (expertly dealt with by the Marshals..)either go for a BIG AFFF or one of the new gas ones, the small AFFF stuff is about as much use as pi..ing on it IMHO

norfolkluego

posted on 13/4/09 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
The AEMC regs (that's what we'll be doing) state

All glass and its raising and lowering mechanism must remain as originally fitted
(except windscreen, which may be replaced with one of laminated glass if not fitted as standard). Aero screens are allowed.

As my car was built and SVA'd without a windscreen I assume I'm OK with that.

Interestingly they do allow 1b tyres but that would then bring into play C(c) 31-35 or 36 (which does enforce the diagonal on the roll bar), I read that as - don't need a diagonal if running on 1a.

I'll qualify all of the above with 'I think'.

JimSpencer

posted on 13/4/09 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Good stuff that sorts out the windscreen nicely - just be worth keeping your eye on other event regs once you start venturing out and about a bit - as you will

The roll bar should be determined by the class you're in - if they allow 1B tyres for class 2B then your roll bar should be fine - but I would check that with a friendly scruitineer just to be 100%.

For example if you were running in Mod prod then a diagonal strut is a must even if you were running on bog standard road rubber.

This causes fun if somebody turns up on 1B's round here, for a 'Road Going' class - as theoretically they should then be moved to Mod Prod but the car safety spec may not be up to it.

[Edited on 13/4/09 by JimSpencer]

speedystew

posted on 4/7/09 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
if you wanted to go sprinting or hillclimbing in a road going class your roll bar is fine as long as your head is 50 mm below the top of your bar.

I run in the wscc speed series in a road going modified class.....car engines up to 1800cc and bike engines up to 1150cc you have to run a windscreen or aero screen if you choose aero as most do it has to be at least 75mm above the scuttle top we also run list 1 b tyres,however on the day at the meetings we are reclassified into none road going class and are put in with the slick shod running cars

if you wanted to do the harewood champ you have 2 choices with your car (2l zetec)

1 put a windscreen on it and run in road going with list 1a tyres

2 take the screen off and get the car msa logbooked and run on slicks (non roadgoing)

charliemouse

posted on 4/7/09 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Harewood regs

Just thought I'd wade in...

I've been competing in Class 5 at Harewood (Roadgoing kit and non-ferrous chassied cars over 1700cc) for about 10 years...

Happy to answer any queries - but its all in the Harewood regs and blue book too.

In short: you need a windscreen, wipers, washers and an MOT and tax. You need list 1a tyres. Your rollbar is fine - its NOT to MSA or FIA spec and its not 50mm below th ebar - its 50mm between the bar and the forward chassis point (so - the base of the scuttle then). Doesnt matter - its recomended not mandatory atm.

Hope this helps a bit.

Nik

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.