Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New job but can I do it? :(
v8kid

posted on 1/1/12 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
New job but can I do it? :(

After 2 years unemployed I applied for a Phd position at the local Uni that was sponsored by a local high tech company and also has a scolarship attached.

Not being shy I phoned the tech director of the company and quizzed him on what they were looking for and what they would expect of a sucessfull applicant. Suprisingly I got an interview and was grilled for 2 1/4 hours bt the faculty prof, the visiting prof and guess who - yup that tech director - gulp.

Somehow I must have guessed the correct academic answers cos they offered me the job that day - Yahoo!

So what's the problem? I really am struggling with the subject it's in pure physics and I'm am engineer! I start Wednesday and have been studying like mad over Xmas but still don't have a firm grip on the basic maths - also....

I'm about 40 years older than your average postgrad student as I didn't do my hons degree untill last year and I'm worried about fitting in.

All in all not feeling confident here. Still it's unbelievably good money and being a grant is tax free but can I bluff my way for long enough to pick it up?

3 1/2 years of academic bliss or 3 1/2 years of desperatly trying to keep my head above the water I wonder which it will be?

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
whitestu

posted on 1/1/12 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
If you don't give it a go you are likely to regret it. What's the worst that can happen?

Stu

mistergrumpy

posted on 1/1/12 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

What's the worst that can happen?

Exactly! They can't make you pregnant so give it a go, you may surprise yourself.

scootz

posted on 1/1/12 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
Go for it... and don't be shy to ask for help!

It's Evolution Baby!

perksy

posted on 1/1/12 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Go for it !

If you don't give it a try, you'll always wonder what would of happened if you had...

MakeEverything

posted on 1/1/12 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
quote:

What's the worst that can happen?

Exactly! They can't make you pregnant so give it a go, you may surprise yourself.

You could mis- teach information which could lead to students failing their exams costing them money?

Personally, I wouldn't study. Stick to what you now and just deliver he course lectures. Research before each lecture, so you know what your lesson plan is going to be, And offer some useful sources that you found.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

davidimurray

posted on 1/1/12 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
The thing to remember about a PHD (I did an EngD - industrial PHD) is that it is basically a big project. It is not like a taught course where you need to know everything and regurgitate it at the end. You need to know the relevant bits to apply to the work your doing. I did mine in data analysis and my maths is terrible - but using software I could avoid all the nasty theory and just get on and do the actual work. Also remember that this is your project and you will be the expert on it so to that extent you have the power to drive the project you want it to go within reason. Also don't worry about fitting in - it's not like being a student - it's basically just like having a full time job but being your own boss

Good luck and if you ever need any help just shout.

Gallery 1 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.116893465324.130778.601005324
Gallery 2 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.245243755324.181913.601005324&l=a9831a9319
Gallery 3 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.440671625324.232627.601005324&l=3f0d42c523
Gallery 4 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.490098255324.297598.601005324&l=efb083b7df
Gallery 5 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150244028550325.366987.601005324&l=583fd5cd3a
Gallery 6 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150550640070325.430417.601005324&type=3&l=fe779b358c
Duratec Engine Swap https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152527759580325.1073741828.601005324&type=1&l=40aae5e72f " target="_blank"> https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152527759580325.1073741828.601005324&type=1&l=40aae5e72f

blakep82

posted on 1/1/12 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Perhaps not the greastest way to put it, but here goes. If it turns out u can't do it, worst thing is you'll be unemployed again in a few months... But much more likely I think, you'll quickly pick it up again, and all will be awesome. Might as well go for it!

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

David Jenkins

posted on 1/1/12 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
You could always talk to the big boss who interviewed you and discuss your concerns - if he's any good and thinks you've got potential then he'll do his best to support you. If he's hostile or negative then it's the wrong job.

He might have already worked out your short-comings and thought that your background in engineering is worth the risk taking you on.

Chippy

posted on 1/1/12 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Go for it, and act like the Swan, grace and serenity on the surface, and paddling like hell underneath. I wish you the very best of luck, and I am sure that you will make a go of it. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

Confused but excited.

posted on 1/1/12 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't you find the idea of building the boat daunting at first? Go For it. You know that you will only regret it if you don't.
Better to try and fail than never try at all. And who's to say that you will fail. Nothing worth having ever comes easy.
Best of luck.

[Edited on 1/1/12 by Confused but excited.]

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

HowardB

posted on 1/1/12 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
I am sure I am not ty[ing out of turn when I say:

you know you have the full backing and best wishes of this forum;

go for it!

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

T66

posted on 1/1/12 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Your not bluffing your way into a job when interviewed by the panel you sat infront of ! They would see through b6llsh1t immediately.

They have chosen you, as you were the best person for the job.

Think positive, and absorb all the experience from those around you, some bits you will like & use, others you wont.

Stick a line on this thread in 3 months time, when you have settled in...

bobinspain

posted on 1/1/12 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Not a great deal to add, but you'll have got the very strong weight of positive opinion on here that you've got the position 'as of right.'
It's not as if you've 'blagged' your way into it. You've been offered the post on merit. (Otherwise they wouldn't have grilled you for over two hours). If they are any good as a company, they'd have sussed a charlatan in 10 minutes. You earned two hours of their time and that got you the offer. Take the position.
Be honest, especially with yourself, but also, give yourself a break and don't be hypercritical.

One last thing------- Very best of luck.

RK

posted on 1/1/12 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Not working is not fun. Getting a new job is always going to be stressful. They saw something in you obviously, and if you start to have real difficulties, then go to your boss and discuss the options. Until then, do what you know. Congratulations by the way!
Simon

posted on 1/1/12 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
First up, congrats on the appointment.

I reckon a) you basically told them everything you are concerned about during the interview, b) you had the bottle to phone the chap in ther first place, c) they think you have everything needed to do the job, or at least will figure out how to get the info to do the job and finally, d) you are the only successful applicant for that post.

Get stuck in and enjoy it

Great start to the new year!

ATB

Simon

Steve Hignett

posted on 1/1/12 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Congratulations!!!

First of all, my advice in response to your question is:
I'm sure as an engineer, you've had to become quite adaptable over the years and this will help no end...
You may struggle here and there, but be honest and seek help...

I was interviewed last month for just shy of 3 hours, and then a second interview of one hour.
I didn't think I stood a chance as I was up against unbelievable opposition, but I start on Tuesday and I'm quite nervous that I won't be up to the task, however I do know how I've performed in most things in my life, so I think I will do very well after I've settled in...

All the best,
Steve

indykid

posted on 1/1/12 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
You were interviewed and they chose you. If you can put up with the academic side of it, you'll be fine.

After 5 years of MEng, I couldn't face a PhD, but I'm sure there'll be plenty of support for you, from Uni, the sponsor company and on here if you ever need it.

It's a brilliant opportunity. Good luck and happy new year!

zilspeed

posted on 1/1/12 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
David.

They're not exactly picking a daft laddie here are they ?

'nuff said ?

v8kid

posted on 3/1/12 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the positive support but I'm still nervous !!

I take comfort from the point that its very focused and perhaps I'm taking too wide a view.

I'll post updates on how I survive if I do that is

BTW I won't be teaching or affecting adversely other students and anyhow the first 2 years are fairly common to most science courses and straightforward in Scotland where we have 4 year first degrees

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
v8kid

posted on 30/1/12 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Well nearly a month in and my how my opinion has changed!

Sure it's tricky and the maths is daunting but it's all coming back like a great flood of pent up facts, figures and techniques just exploding in my brain. Superb but in a way quite stressful.

The university is really laid back and the staff can be quite frustrating at times but my sponsor more than compensates for that . It is certainly a culture change from the world of commerce.

I would not swop this experience for anything and feel so privileged and honoured that I have been given the chance to excel (whether I do achieve or not).

If any other forum members get the chance to do a PhD my advice, on 4 weeks experience, is go for it with all guns blazing.

Mind you there are the hard parts - I have to go to China later this summer and then USA in the autumn ( should I start saying fall?) all paid for - it's a hard life!

I'll let you know how things go 12 weeks in it may change.

Cheers! and ta for the support guys I nearly bottled out you know.

zilspeed

posted on 30/1/12 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Is it West Of Scotland you're doing it at ?

My niece is around 18 months or so into her PHD there.

RK

posted on 30/1/12 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Do they still have a faculty club at your uni? The thought of teaching at my old place was completely banished when I remembered that they closed it during my time there.
PSpirine

posted on 30/1/12 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Ever since leaving uni, I can't wait to find a PhD studentship in something I want to study!

Very well done on your appointment and I'm glad you're settling in. Nothing quite like being paid to learn interesting stuff!

v8kid

posted on 31/1/12 at 03:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
Is it West Of Scotland you're doing it at ?

My niece is around 18 months or so into her PHD there. [/

Yup but because I started in Jan I'm 6 months behind/ahead of the other PhD students and haven't really met the other faculty students yet.
Also quite pushed for time at the mo whilst I get up to speed it's a bit like work/eat/sleep cycle just now

It's not really stressful but it's a constant push to achieve even the smallest things - upside is a great sense of achievement early on - downside is occasional frustration But it will undoubtedly get better and I'll chill out a little

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.