Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Two stroke oil in a diesel engine
mark chandler

posted on 3/4/12 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Two stroke oil in a diesel engine

Was googling around as bored the other day and came across a diesel forum where they were recommending adding a little 2 stroke oil to diesel when filling up.

They do this as modern diesel has almost all sulphur removed so lubrication is down, it's also claimed to improve power and generally be a good thing.

My V40 has 150k miles on it so I thought I would give it a go, £10 splashed on quality synth castrol 2 stroke oil, filled it up with a fresh tank of diesel and tipped in 250ml.

The car is definitely faster, quieter and smoother... also seems to smoke a little less, all the things they claim.

I am worried about the HP pump or injectors failing as the car becomes scrap really, if it lubricates this lot and keeps it going for longer then I will be happy, anyone else do this?

For me it’s worth a punt.

Regards Mark

owelly

posted on 3/4/12 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
For me, you've just wasted 250ml of expensive 2-stroke oil. But like religion, if it makes you happy.....

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Canada EH!

posted on 3/4/12 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Two stroke oil does wonders for the performnce of mazda RX engines as well.
dlatch

posted on 3/4/12 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
i can see it doing only good things but save cash and use regular 2 stroke oil no need of the good stuff imo
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
The Shootist

posted on 3/4/12 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Pretty comon on highly modded pumps..

High volume pump modders often do add 2 stroke oil. It's pretty common with the VW rotary pump guys who run 13 and 14mm pump heads as they tend to seize at high revs.

Bio diesel also makes significant improvements to lubricity. According to Bosch they scratch test equipment shows that 5% bio improves lubricity higher than most any aftermarket diesel additives do.

Their tests actually found the Lucas additives to decrease lubricity.

l0rd

posted on 3/4/12 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Dunno but we use 2 stroke oil in the tractor as it lubricates the pump and saves us hundrends of £ for a new one.

one bottle on every other fill up

dinosaurjuice

posted on 3/4/12 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
proper EN spec biodizzle is lovely stuff. dinosaur friendly too.

nick205

posted on 3/4/12 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have a link to the diesel forum Mark?

mark chandler

posted on 3/4/12 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
I think this is it

linky dink

Regards Mark

hughpinder

posted on 4/4/12 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
I've heard its what naughty people add to heating oil (28 second kerosene is similar octane rating to diesel, hence all the 'not to be used as automotive fuel' warning on every invoice) to give it some lubricity, as that the main problem using it. As someone else said, veg oil is supposed to be as good or better, and is cheaper, but can strip the crud out of your fuel tank and block the fuel filter when you first use it.
Regards
Hugh

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.