Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Choosing Carbs over EFI... Madness?
scootz

posted on 12/4/12 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Choosing Carbs over EFI... Madness?

I'm trying to trim some of the trike-build costs and one of the big money-pits will be the EFI system (when I around to it!).

Just to re-cap... I'm using a BMW flat-twin bike engine from the HP2 Sport. Despite being BMW Motorrads flagship flat-twin, it's still just a 1200cc air-cooled lump, so not the most refined!

The throttle-body assemblies came with the engine, but there was no ECU. The BMW unit costs £STUPID to buy new and £NUTS secondhand (hens teeth) so it would have to be an aftermarket jobby. Then swirl pots, high pressure pumps, mapping... the cost soon mounts up!

So how about flogging the TB's and using the funds to buy a couple of Keihin flat-slide carbs???

The trike will be used once-in-a-dry-warm-blue-moon and never for anything other than banzai blatting, so I'm not too fussed about losing a bit of midrange, or it being a little rough.

Big mistake? False economy?

Thoughts welcome!

It's Evolution Baby!

paulf

posted on 12/4/12 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
What about the ignition ? is that a separate system? if so then it must be relatively easy to get a pair of carbs from a similar model BMW and fit them.Im sure that performance wise it would not make a lot of difference the main reason they all use EFI now is due to emissions.
Paul

mookaloid

posted on 12/4/12 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't hesitate - fit some carbs

The worst that can happen is that it isn't great and you have to go back to injection. If this is the case then sell the carbs (which you will have paid to dollar for) at a loss (as usual) then fit the fuel Injection.

I wouldn't worry though - the carbs will be fine

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

matt_gsxr

posted on 12/4/12 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
I'm probably biased because I hate bike carbs.

In-tank gsxr1000 fuel pump includes a regulator (about £30), build it into the bottom of your tank and you don't need a swirl pot or external regulator. Megasquirt it (£300) and tune with an LC-1 on the road (£180, which you can reuse on something else later, or sell on).

cloudy

posted on 12/4/12 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Have to go with Matt on this one - there's plenty of ways of doing EFI on the cheap! Carbs are hateful things

www.warnercars.com

l0rd

posted on 13/4/12 at 04:33 AM Reply With Quote
i never thought you scootz would be considering the money.

do it once, do it properly.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 13/4/12 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
Scootz, you obviously need to sell loads more stuff to sort out the financial quandry

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

D Beddows

posted on 13/4/12 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Flat slide carbs are but as has been mentioned how are you going to make a spark at the right time?.......then there's getting a manifold to mount the carbs.......then there's finding someone who can set up flat slide carbs properly........ then there's getting a decent map for your aftermarket ignition......

Still going to be quite expensive and a huge amount of faffing about if you ask me!

scootz

posted on 13/4/12 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
Hmmm.... so that's a maybe!!!

TBH, I just want too get the thing done and go out to play in it. I'm past caring if TB's are marginally better than Carbs... or even if a trailing-arm front suspension performs fractionally less-well than a double-wishbone.

The only thing I don't want is a complete disaster... irritatingly poor engine control, or undrive-able suspension.

It's Evolution Baby!

l0rd

posted on 13/4/12 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Over the years, you broke for parts more than 10 cars. Don't tell me you haven't kept an ECU
scootz

posted on 13/4/12 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
I don't have one

It's Evolution Baby!

BaileyPerformance

posted on 14/4/12 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
I don't have one

we do COMPLETE megasquirt EFI systems, inc all parts, installation and mapping for £1000.

this price assumes you have all the stock inlet manifold, fuel rail, injectors and fuel system in place.

we provide all sensors required

if you are running a CAT the cost will be slightly more.

let me know if you need anymore info

Cheers Dale.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.