Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bad rattle update/ further questions
ditchlewis

posted on 19/5/12 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
bad rattle update/ further questions

following on from my trp to stoneleigh and the rattle that developed.

Today was a fustrating day removing the engine ( sheared bolts and more items to strip than i thought) but i got the engine out and on to the garage floor.

I had a quick look at the gearbox and the thrust bearing is still firmly on the fork, but there was lots of play in the clutch cable and the fork rattled a bit as it has lots of free play with the engine not there. i think it may be a badly adjusted clutch cable but i dont know.

should the thrust bearing be adjusted until it touches the clutch springs/rear plate, or should there be some slack?

there is only about 1mm movement in the input shaft so that is not the cause of the rattle.

i have noticed that in neutral there was a minor rattle and now with the gearbox out and in neutral i noticed that when i turned the input shaft and there were noises from inside the box, a rapid quarter turn each way induced a noticible clicking/rattling noise from inside the box, is this normal?

I plan to take the box out as i have new seals coming from burtons and i will take the top off the box, what should i be looking for? should there be play in the gears and selector forks?

I also have a sneaking suspision that there may be below normal oil levels in it.

i hope that this is not a dead gearbox as my wife has just shown me her credit card bill and there will be no spare cash for a year or two

How much do second hand type 9's go for these days?

ditch

Dusty

posted on 19/5/12 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
In the sierra pinto to type 9 there is no slack and in fact the release bearing is held on the diaphragm springs with some spring tension from the pedal box. Common to find there is a release bearing rattle when the builder has not put in a cable tensioner of some sort due to using aftermarket pedals.
ditchlewis

posted on 19/5/12 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
thats what i thought, looking at the way i put the cable in 5 years ago its a wonder it has lasted this long.

i will still lift the box out and have a look inside for my own piece of mind.

feeling a bit better about things as if it was going to cost more than a couple of quid to fix it would have to wait till later in the year.

ditch

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.