Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can a sierra front diff be used like a rear one?
dave_424

posted on 4/8/13 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
Can a sierra front diff be used like a rear one?

Hi guys, I have been thinking of building a 4x4 off road buggy and was thinking of having a diff in the front and back, a single driveshaft connecting the two and then a bike engine up at the front driving a sprocket on the front diff.

Thinking of saving weight, could I use the smaller sierra front diffs in this situation? I know that the one side will accept a push in shaft but the other has a shaft that runs through the engine's sump. Anyone know if that side will accept a push in shaft? or is there any kind of modification that I can do to get what I want?

Thanks

Dave

GOJO

posted on 4/8/13 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Subaru diff or freelander ? Sierra front hubs could be used at the rear with a adjustable stabilizer link arm to lock the hub from sterring movement
chrism

posted on 4/8/13 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
I think the front sierra diffs did use a push in shaft that acts as a jack shaft going through the engines sump and held at the other end with a bearing, so what you would need to do is build a mount with a bearing holder to hold the end of the jack shaft.

Its a similar system as used on some toyotas including the later MR2 convertible to give equal length drive shafts to attempt to get rid of torque steer.

Looks like this

[Edited on 4/8/13 by chrism]

[Edited on 4/8/13 by chrism]

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

dave_424

posted on 4/8/13 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Then could I use the front diff and use a pair of push in shafts that would normally be used for the rear? Bolt on shafts are also an option. Just wondering weather the side that attaches to the sump will accept either a push in shaft or an adapter for bolt on shafts? Guess I might have to buy one to find out.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.